Does anyone got a cleanaholic mom? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By missannienow

post #1 of Old 08-05-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Anyone got a cleanaholic mom?

Well, my mother is one . She used to be a 'cleanaholic' lately. There is nothing more disturbing for her to see the dirt. Whether it's the house, pet or even your clothes, she needs everything neat as a new pin. She used to yell at us (me and my sister) most of the times for throwing things at the walls. For her, it was truly therapeutic to clean the house and especially the carpets. When she is really upset or angry, she would start cleaning and I think she felt a lot better while doing it. She is now in her late 70's and has got many ageing issues. Now, She can't run around picking up things, cleaning and doing all that. I remember, a few years before back in Mississauga, after returning from the hospital (she had a minor attack and was hospitalized for about three weeks), we got a home visit from a nurse. She was in bed and I let her in. Since the nurse didn't know taking shoes off was one of her golden house rules, she came with her shoes and walked directly to my mother's room. The second she was out the door, and there she stood with carpet brush and cleaner in her hands. I was really amused to see this. I mean, WHAT! THIS LADY WAS ON THAT BED AN HOUR BEFORE!!
She has become frail and she is no more able to do all those clean-ups. I have hired a recurring cleaning service to take care of the cleaning requirements as I may not have the time for 'efficient cleaning' after my work. Also, I don't want to see her using the vacuum in her wheelchair (she may even do that being a clean freak). But I do miss my 'cleanaholic' mom.

Last edited by Anna_powell45; 08-06-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Anna, I became much like your Mom after I recovered from a seriously major leg surgery. I couldnt walk normally for several years, as I used a walker. Plus I then got very sick. NOT a good few years. I had five cats back then, and since I could not clean, you can only imagine how grubby my home became. Oh, I DID always clean the litter boxes and the cats dishes. Never skipped that! But other cleaning? Forget about it. As I slowly got better, I realized how dirty it all become. I used cleaning as my personal recovery plan. It hurt like heck most of the time, and I had to go slowly, and I made a bunch of mistakes that first year. I admit that I became somewhat OCD about cleaning during that time. I lived alone then, so my behavior did not affect anyone else. That was five years ago, and I now laugh about the things I did. When I fully recovered and wanted to work again, I realized I no longer wanted to be an RN here in this state. I decided to start cleaning and pet sitting. It was slow going for the first year. Luckily, I do have another income (Social Security). The second year, it all got better, as I perfected what I do, and learned just how to find and keep customers...and get rid of customers I did not like. Now, I stay busy working five days a week, my reputation is great, and I love having the extra income.

I laughed over your description of the nurse who came in wearing her shoes. That same thing happened to ME when I was doing home care! Clean Freaks often cannot understand that to some people, going barefoot or in stockings in a strange home is unpleasant, or maybe even a bit disgusting, no matter how clean the home is! Several of my elderly customers use me to clean BECAUSE I tell them I am a bit OCD about cleaning. LOL!!! It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.
Annie
Anna_powell45 likes this.
post #3 of Old 08-24-2017, 05:46 AM

HEY
No worries dear. Same case here. I always wonder how energetic she is to clean everything. She does not tolerate a single dust particle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-24-2017, 07:26 AM

I have psychiatric nursing experience. There is a big difference between true OCD and just having obsessive-compulsive tendencies. A true OCD person will suffer mentally from their "disease", but someone who only has tendencies may be totally happy. I know I have that tendency. I admit it and dont worry about it, because that very tendency is why I still work cleaning houses at 67 and am good at it!
post #5 of Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM

I'll listen too
post #6 of Old 10-16-2019, 08:07 AM

I clean at home myself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode