Sometimes you just can't win - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes you just can't win

for weeks now a gentlman has been calling me asking different questions about our company and our prices, each time he ended the call by telling me that he would call me back soon to schedule an in home estimate.

Well, he called late last week and scheduled his estimate for 7pm last night, giving me a phone number that he said was his cell phone in case something came up.

So I arrive as usual a couple of minutes early and wait in the car, at 5 till 7 I go up to the door and ring and wait............... no one is home. Ok, so I go back to the car and wait for 20 minutes, then try the door one more time, still no one answers so I leave a note on the door saying that I was sorry that I missed him and I return to the car and call the number that he has given me and it rings and rings and rings without a voice mail, so I return home and start to cook dinner. 20 minutes after arriving home ( 7:50 pm now) the phone rings and it is the gentleman telling me that we had an appointment and where was I?!? I politely explain that I had been there "ON TIME", had waited and had both left a note and tried to call him. He says, what number did you call! I tell him the number and he says "oh, that is the house phone, I thought I gave you my cell phone, so can you come back over?"

At first I tell him that I will come in about 45 minutes after we eat dinner, but I wanted to get the estimate over so I called him back and told him that I was on my way and would see him in a few minutes.

Fast forward thru the estimate which went well, he liked our services and our prices and was setting a date for the cleanings and he asks me to come either on Saturday or after 7pm when someone could be home to watch us. I expain that I have been in business for 21 years and never had a case of theft and that we only worked during the normal work week and not on weekends or evenings.

Then his said it

>
>
>
>
>
>
The comment that took my breath away
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
"he needed to be home to watch the cleaners because ALL MAIDS STEAL"!!!

I thanked him for his time and told him graciously that that comment was not in any way, shape or form true and that I did not need his business, good luck finding someone to come clean you home.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 PM

You should have told him maids live in the home,professional cleaning services work normal hours and are honest first and foremost,then slapped the taste out of his mouth............lol.
post #3 of Old 02-21-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

That would of been a great answer, unfortunately I was so stunned at his brashness that I was lucky to get out what I did in terms of a closing statement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Very professional of you to come up with a reply such as you did. It has not happened to me and hope it never will but in the case that it does I hope that I can be the same. But I probably would not and start to tell him..... well I better not go there!
post #5 of Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Good answer, Could not have said it better. I had a large building that we did one day the super came to me and told me that some monies came up missing. He then told me that since his workers made so much money that they would not have taken the money. BLABLABLA long story short i went off on him. I wasnt as cool and calm as you were. I pulled my crew out and we left. After a couple of calls the next day we were back on site. Oh by the way they fired the 2 employees of theirs that they found on tape taking the money. I also got to work with a new super. The new contract that year was great anything we wanted they did and more. Got lucky i think. Good job T. Thanks
post #6 of Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM

Great job, T. As usuall, very professional. You did the right thing by walking away, as this client would eventually accuse your company of theft. I have been accused of stealing three times. All three of those clients are now life-long clients who have given me more leads than anyone else. In all three cases I kept my cool and stayed professional because I knew I was in the right. The embarrasment felt by these folks after finding out they were wrong went a long way towards promoting my business. They couldn't do enough for me! By the way, one was a cop.

az

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode