Cleaning french Windows the easy Way - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning french Windows the easy Way

Hey fellow window cleaners. As most of would agree, "french" windows
(those pieces of glass divided by wood or plastic into small squares) are the most dreaded type of windows to clean. It is so tedious! I was just cleaning some the other day, and was thinking that I should pass some tips on to the other window cleaners out there and see what you guys and gals think about doing them.

Well, basically, my method is to spray them with sprayaway foaming glass cleaner. And then squeegee them. The foaming glass cleaner is mostly water and rubbing alcohol. This is good for not leaving streaks. You could make your own solution with distilled water and rubbing alcohol, but if the concentration of alcohol was too high it would quickly evaporate in your bucket. The foaming action keeps the solution on the glass nicely. I found a Mr. Sanchez Video where he explains how he also uses this method.

I have heard other people tell me that they use a lot of ammonia to prevent streaks.

p.s. one more tip: I bring a few spare channels with me at cut them to the size of the panes I will be cleaning. I use an angle grinder to quickly cut the channel to size. Cleaning french panes goes very quickly with the exact size squeegee!

Hope this helps someone

Silverdale Window Cleaning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 PM

Zep Foaming Glass Cleaner is a great alternative as well!

I personally don't like the smell of SprayAway, but Zep is a little more bearable, and a few cents less too! (well, the unit cost is a few cents more, but the can is bigger lol)

Chris Cartwright -Owner - Triple C Window Cleaners of NJ
908 913 0999 / 973 619 9994
Window Cleaning Central NJ
Window Cleaning Northern NJ
Window Cleaning Montclair NJ
post #3 of Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 AM
J S

Use newspaper to wipe off the spray. Works great on windows as it doesn't have any lint to leave behind, and, its awesome on smudges!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-02-2011, 01:27 AM

I was cleaning some french windows other day and was thinking that I should pass on a few tips to other people that may need to clean them. First of all for those who are unfamiliar with this term, "french" windows are panes of glass that have been divided into small squares by wood or plastic. They are more time consuming to clean and are many a window cleaner's least favorite glass to clean.

Because they are so small it is harder to clean them with a squeegee and they are harder to detail around the edges.

What I use is Sprayaway Foaming Glass Cleaner (that is the most common brand available - I am not promoting this product )
You see, the foaming glass cleaner's main ingredients are distilled water and rubbing alcohol. This makes it much less likely to leave streaks.

I spray on the foaming glass cleaner then I use a small squeegee to clean the small panes. Alternately, you could wipe them with a microfiber cloth. I think the squeegee method does it more cleanly, but it can be hard to get the right size. I have a variety of squeegee channels pre-cut to the size I want, so I have exactly the right size whenever I need one.
Here is a video explaining the technique for all you visual types. I hope this helps
post #5 of Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 AM

I was cleaning some french windows other day and was thinking that I should pass on a few tips to other people that may need to clean them. First of all for those who are unfamiliar with this term, "french" windows are panes of glass that have been divided into small squares by wood or plastic. They are more time consuming to clean and are many a window cleaner's least favorite glass to clean.

Because they are so small it is harder to clean them with a squeegee and they are harder to detail around the edges.

What I use is Sprayaway Foaming Glass Cleaner (that is the most common brand available - I am not promoting this product )
You see, the foaming glass cleaner's main ingredients are distilled water and rubbing alcohol. This makes it much less likely to leave streaks.

I spray on the foaming glass cleaner then I use a small squeegee to clean the small panes. Alternately, you could wipe them with a microfiber cloth. I think the squeegee method does it more cleanly, but it can be hard to get the right size. I have a variety of squeegee channels pre-cut to the size I want, so I have exactly the right size whenever I need one.
Here is a video explaining the technique for all you visual types. I hope this helps
post #6 of Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM

JS, I use newspaper as well. That's all i grew up using! My mother didn't want me to waster paper towels! Are you kidding me!! LOL. But yes, they do work better.
post #7 of Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM

waste*
post #8 of Old 12-26-2011, 04:43 PM

I use use a product called invisa glass by stoners. The company is local and every store around here carries it. I believe a 20 oz can is around 3.50 locally.
post #9 of Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 AM

Great tip, Thanks!

I prefer using micro fiber towels to news paper. Just do not drop them...

Katy Memorial Roof Cleaning & Power Washing
Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif - (281) 392-2304
www.k-mpw.com and Facebook
post #10 of Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

I would recommend against using newspaper. That was a good tip during the great depression, but not today. Microfiber towels work well if you get the high quality ones. The cheap ones leave micro-lint everywhere (trust me I've done it). Most professional window cleaners use the blue surgical towels (available through window cleaning supply stores). A new towel is catching on and may soon surpass the surgical towels - scrim.

Scrim has been used by window cleaners in Europe and the UK for awhile now and is now catching on in the U.S. It is super absorbent and the most lint free of any cloth out there.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
Poulsbo Window Cleaning
post #11 of Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by april1979 View Post
I would recommend against using newspaper. That was a good tip during the great depression, but not today. Microfiber towels work well if you get the high quality ones. The cheap ones leave micro-lint everywhere (trust me I've done it). Most professional window cleaners use the blue surgical towels (available through window cleaning supply stores). A new towel is catching on and may soon surpass the surgical towels - scrim.

Scrim has been used by window cleaners in Europe and the UK for awhile now and is now catching on in the U.S. It is super absorbent and the most lint free of any cloth out there.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
Poulsbo Window Cleaning
Great input April. Thanks! Where do you normally scrim from?

Katy Memorial Roof Cleaning & Power Washing
Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif - (281) 392-2304
www.k-mpw.com and Facebook
post #12 of Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Great tip, Thanks!

I prefer using micro fiber towels to news paper. Just do not drop them...
Yes sir!!! I dropped my big boy micro in the mulch the other day and I'm still picking stuff out of it! weeks later!
post #13 of Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks for sharing such a knowledgeable post. Its true that its a tedious job but as your tips suggest it can be one of the most effective tips.
post #14 of Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 AM

Using of newspaper with best cleaner product works properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode