Cleaning the tracks of sliding patio doors - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-15-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning the tracks of sliding patio doors

Here is a post about cleaning the tracks of sliding patio doors:

http://www.cleanwithasmile.blogspot....tio-doors.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-18-2015, 08:29 PM

Vacuum the loose dirt out of the tracks real well before applying any water or you will get a muddy mess.

A scrub brush works really well to get in all the grooves.

You can charge extra for window cleaning if they want the tracks cleaned

http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
post #3 of Old 02-20-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorster View Post
Vacuum the loose dirt out of the tracks real well before applying any water or you will get a muddy mess.

A scrub brush works really well to get in all the grooves.

You can charge extra for window cleaning if they want the tracks cleaned
wouldn't really recommend applying water when cleaning sliding doors as they usually little bearings that are oiled to slide smoothly. Vacuuming then brush then vacuum again would be the safest play.

-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Not all tracks can be cleaned with only a dry brushing,especially if you are construction cleaning.

As well the slider rollers underneath may have sand trapped in an around them
and short of removing the doors some water will flush that out.

Sorry to disagree but I have cleaned hundreds of slider tracks.

Vacuum all loose debris first,but then I used soap and water to dislodge trapped dirt and sand and using a wet vac and a crevice tool I vacuumed to completion.

post #5 of Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorster View Post
Not all tracks can be cleaned with only a dry brushing,especially if you are construction cleaning.

As well the slider rollers underneath may have sand trapped in an around them
and short of removing the doors some water will flush that out.

Sorry to disagree but I have cleaned hundreds of slider tracks.

Vacuum all loose debris first,but then I used soap and water to dislodge trapped dirt and sand and using a wet vac and a crevice tool I vacuumed to completion.

True but those tracks are probably industrial ones that can be easily oiled when they stop sliding. Plus I really don't think homes collect that much dust and rubble on sliding windows and doors.
post #6 of Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Patio Door Repair

is one of my ad ons, vacuuming is a much needed thing, keeping the track clean will make the door last longer, if you keep up with it on customer service aspect is it really anything to suck it out real quick? As far as soap and water go, just make sure they are dry, those steel bearings WILL rust

James Long
Innovative Glass
post #7 of Old 03-03-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsknox View Post
is one of my ad ons, vacuuming is a much needed thing, keeping the track clean will make the door last longer, if you keep up with it on customer service aspect is it really anything to suck it out real quick? As far as soap and water go, just make sure they are dry, those steel bearings WILL rust
since you're a professional window cleaner, would you recommend soap and water when cleaning homes? (windows ofc.) how often and are there specific products to use to avoid rusting?
post #8 of Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 AM

I do not understand why everyone is so focused on 'rusting' and getting the rollers wet with these glass sliding doors.

Glass sliding doors are exposed to the elements all the time,so if you don't want them to get wet...then you bettered get them their own umbrella because it's going to rain sooner or later.

The rollers are what the doors use to move,these rollers will flatten after years of repeated use...that's just the way it is.

It will not hurt them to get wet,however sand,dirt and grime are real enemies as this is what causes them to wear,and plain old age.

The more exposed the doors are the more often you should vacuum and clean them.Some doors are on covered pool decks,or balconies.Many are right off the yard.

You cannot get all of the debris away from the rollers in situations like this as the weather stripping that resembles a long brush will trap the dirt around the rollers.THis is where the water comes in.

If you flush the area under the door you will be very surprised at the dirt that rolls out. If you let this sandy dirt remain the rollers are forced to keep rolling through it;which shortens the life span of the rollers.

In answer to the window cleaning question:I use water with a small amount of dish liquid.It works well for me in most situations-even construction window cleaning.I also use squeegees not paper toweling.

However,you will find many window cleaning concoctions that are favored by just as many window cleaners.Experiment to find your favorite.
post #9 of Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 AM

there is a HUGE diffrence between rain hitting the door, and saturation the rollers with soap and water, these detergents will break down the oil coated rollers causing them to rust, ive seen it 100 times the (long brush guard) as you call it, has a small rubber bug guard that runs down it. You can move the door and get almost 100% of the track.
As far as cleaning them I use Brush for the edges, vaccuum, then Ill just spray/ wipe. its less intrusive and will not cause premature failure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140910_092846_908.jpg (98.6 KB, 1 views)

James Long
Innovative Glass
post #10 of Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 AM

I respectfully disagree as I have cleaned hundreds of these doors and there is no damage...furthermore a door cannot be adjusted when it is first installed if ALL of the debris is not removed.
post #11 of Old 03-04-2015, 09:41 AM

thats fine..I respectfully disagree because Ive replaced HUNDREDS of rollers from underneath them :p

James Long
Innovative Glass
post #12 of Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 AM

Fair enough...we can only share with others what we have learned over the years and let them decide what works best for them in the application they are currently involved in.
post #13 of Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 AM

Sometimes the door is hard to slide because the rollers or glides have become dirty. You can use the vacuum cleaner or dust buster to give the tracks a quick vacuuming to make sure the smaller bits of dirt are all cleared out.
post #14 of Old 04-22-2015, 02:37 AM

I've used some of these techniques and prefer the vac then light wet scrub then hand wipe.

Providing cleaning & maid services in Tampa, Sarasota, Saint Pete, Lakeland, Brandon, Valrico, Lithia, Fishhawk, Poinciana, and Kissimmee.
post #15 of Old 05-28-2015, 05:45 AM

The doorknob and the area right around it should be cleaned and sanitized frequently with either antibacterial wipes or spray cleaner and paper towels.
Read on for some tips on how to clean all your interior doors.

1. First, dust the top edge of the door frame.
2. Clean the frame all around the door, getting off all smudges and fingerprints
3. If you have a varnished wood door, use Murphy Oil Soap to clean it.
.Read More About cleaning Residential cleaning services In Franklin MA Area
post #16 of Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 AM

I would definitely say using the vacuum to get rid of the worst. Unfortunately when the home is damp around the windows, the dirt will not simply get removed with a vacuum; then its soap and water.

http://www.choicecleaning.co.uk/ Providing the very best commercial cleaning in Bristol
post #17 of Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM

It is important to stop any type of water flow or leak as soon as possible. Remove pools of water and start drying the area to prevent additional damage. If you can't remove the water and dry the area quickly, consider calling a water extraction company. Keep receipts from the clean up and give them to your insurance company. The insurance company might pay you back.
post #18 of Old 10-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Vacuuming is the best option at this time. You can also try cleaning with a cloth, but vacuuming will be more simple. I also suggest everyone to hire a professional cleaning service once in 6 or 12 months. They will clean everything and you won't have to face problems like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode