Gutter cleaning Tips - Please add yours - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Gutter cleaning Tips - Please add yours

I just wanted to mention a few things that could prevent an on-the-job headache......or worse.

1) Check for overhead power supply/lines coming to the house. Hit that with your ladder and you are in trouble. A guy I knew died from that.......he was a painter.

2) During winter gutter cleanings, check the water supply first......to make sure it is on......before you start cleaning. You can ask the homeowner to make sure the water is on, but someone will forget. So check before starting the job.

3) Slate roof......avoid walking these if possible. My two near death experiences occurred on slate.......slippery when wet.....especially when its GREEN!! LOL

Its a bad feeling to be on your butt sliding toward the edge with your feet out and your hands spread out behind you.......and stopping just a foot short of the gutter. If I was to go over the edge, that gutter was gonna go down with me. Scary. I prefer the security of the ladder now. Oh well.
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Gutter cleaning tips

Have a really great gutter cleaning machine, it makes all the difference!
post #3 of Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM

Some time Acid works better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 AM

Can be terrific.

Here is a resource on gutter cleaning tips I came across which I think will prove useful to you guyz :-)
post #5 of Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 AM

1) Scoop out loose debris.
Starting at a drain outlet at the low end of a gutter, use a narrow garden trowel to scoop out loose debris, working away from the drain outlet. Itís usually easiest to do this when the debris is slightly damp and pliable, not soggy or dried and encrusted. To minimize cleanup later, you can scoop the debris into a plastic garbage-can liner.

2) Blast out the gutters with a hose.
Using an on-off high-pressure nozzle mounted at the end of a water hose, wash out each length of gutter, working toward the drain outlet. This can be a messy job; try to avoid splattering mud all over your house. If necessary, use a stiff scrub brush to remove encrusted dirt.

3) Clear obstructions in drainpipes.
If water doesnít drain freely through the drainpipes, try flushing the debris down them with a hose. If that doesnít work, use a plumberís auger (snake) to free and pull out the debris from the bottom.

Offers commercial and professional Carpet Cleaners London and Commercial Carpet Cleaning.
post #6 of Old 10-31-2010, 04:59 PM

Only gloves

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I DON` T USE THE MASHINE ONLY GLOVES 5POUNDS /m
https://sites.google.com/site/brentc...utter-cleaneng

Last edited by TUBAWILI; 10-31-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: wrong text
post #7 of Old 04-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Best decision ever! If you have a gas-blower hand-held or back pack you can buy an attachment to safely clean gutters from the ground. All of the major blowers have them, stihl, redmax, echo, etc. Here is what I am talking about:

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC
Green Commerical & Residential Cleanings
Serving Greater New Orleans, La Area
post #8 of Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM

gutter cleaning tips

I think a good tip is to use the ladder standoffs made for gutter cleaning. They press against the top of the roof so that all the ladder's weight rests against there. These are great for making the ladder more stable and for not banging up the gutters while you are cleaning them.

Bremerton Window Cleaning
post #9 of Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM

My tip is to not forget about the downspout. Many times I get calls where a customer says the gutters were just cleaned, but the downspout is PACKED with debris.
post #10 of Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 PM

I just pull out all the leaves with my hands, then use the hose for the rest of the job.
post #11 of Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 PM

I just use a-frame ladders for stability, and installed gutter covers - the reverse curve type. It lessened the debris buildup.
post #12 of Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 AM

Cleaning gutters is not always fun, but it is important to the integrity of your home. Follow these tips for cleaning channel easier. To clean your gutters properly, hire a sturdy ladder and get your neighbour to lend a hand. Clean gutters to protect your flooring and landscape plants, and prevent thousands of dollars in damage to its foundation.
post #13 of Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 AM

There are just a few steps to follow in order to maintain gutters yourself. My first recommendation is to climb a ladder and clean the goop out of the gutters. The decomposed leaves make great mulch or compost
post #14 of Old 05-15-2012, 08:01 AM

Regular gutter cleaning is the single most important key to avoiding major and expensive home repairs. Gutters controlling the water around your home. If debris keeps gutters from doing their job, you can wind up with some serious problems. Some clogs in the downspout can be extremely difficult to remove no matter what you do. In that case, you may be forced to partially disassemble the downspout to correct the problem.
post #15 of Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 AM

Generally people have complained that gutters become clogged with leaves and other debris. If not cleaned, gutters can fail to drain excess rain water. Before doing gutter cleaning job you should do inspection of gutters. If you found that there is any damage area then firstly repair it. Once the gutters are in good working order, you will need to gain access to the roof. This work can be done easily by using a ladder.
post #16 of Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM

Using of acid is quite well option for cleaning. Apart that regular gutter cleaning is the single most important part of the cleaning.
post #17 of Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 AM

Along with a proper ladder, you will also need to wear heavy-duty work gloves. Most of the gutter cleaning will be done with your hands and you will risk cutting yourself if you do not use proper gloves. Additionally, rain gutters can get pretty repair gross.

brooklyn sewage overflow clean up
post #18 of Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 AM

The optimum way to maintain your gutters is to clean it regularly. If your gutters catch debris, branches etc then make sure you're cleaning them several times a year.

post #19 of Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 AM

Here is a source on rain gutter washing guidelines I came across which I think will confirm useful to you .

Our services include installing and repairing roofs, gutters. and exterior sidings. We work extensively with Insurance companies, homeowners, and developers to strive and deliver the highest quality in Atlanta Roofing construction services.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode