Gutter Question - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Gutter Question

How many of you guys are having success in upgrading your gutter cleaning to include adding things like screens and other improvements.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-01-2006, 10:48 PM

I Personally Haven't...

But I have had some friends try some of the new filter systems and caps with no to limited success.

I do occasionally get some interest in installing the cheapest screens the big boxes sell. These people often back away when I put together a rate for it. They have a hard time grasping that it takes me more time to clean a gutter and install a product, than to just clean.

They also seem to not realize that I don't have to move a ladder and reset as often when I'm just cleaning.

To be most frank, I don't get many gutter jobs anymore. I don't try for as many, and people are skeptical until the weather really changes. Then they call.
post #3 of Old 07-01-2006, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Karvonen's Pro Clean
We rarely see gutters,but in the early days of our business I did up sell some to homeowners.
IMO none of them actually keep the gutters truly clean and the cost is considerable compared to the cost of cleaning twice a year.I would rather have the twice a year cleaning over the one time high $$$ sale.Not to mention the gutters will still have to be cleaned(just not as frequently) so Joe HO(home owner) will be less than happy about his initial high $$$ purchase he made from you.

Karvonen's Pro Clean
Scott "Squirtgun" Karvonen
Sylvester,Ga.
www.karvonensproclean.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-03-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
How many of you guys are having success in upgrading your gutter cleaning to include adding things like screens and other improvements.
I haven't tried. I've considered it. I know guys who have had good success, and guys who flopped with it.

Mike Williamson
North Florida Pressure Washing

Gainesville, FL
352-213-7765

www.northfloridapressurewashing.com
[email protected]
post #5 of Old 07-03-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
I haven't tried. I've considered it. I know guys who have had good success, and guys who flopped with it.
How about just to get your feet wet getting with a sub-contractor who does the work. Get his by the foot cost and doing the bids whenever possible while your on site. Then you can get a feel for the business before buying all the equipment and such.

Nathan

post #6 of Old 07-04-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
How about just to get your feet wet getting with a sub-contractor who does the work. Get his by the foot cost and doing the bids whenever possible while your on site. Then you can get a feel for the business before buying all the equipment and such.
There really shouldn't be much equipment involved. Just time and materials. I should have most of the tools involved, depending on the type of gutter guard involved. As far as other improvements, hadn't really thought about it.

I know a guy who does all kinds of things in addition to his PW work...he'll offer to trim hedges, mow the yard, fix the door, replace light bulbs, fix shingles, whatever he sees that needs attention. I've considered that aspect, but never pursued it.

Mike Williamson

Gainesville, FL
352-213-7765

[email protected]
post #7 of Old 07-04-2006, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
There really shouldn't be much equipment involved. Just time and materials. I should have most of the tools involved, depending on the type of gutter guard involved.
A lot of gutter guys form the gutter on site out of a roll of steel. It's cheaper that way and you get a more custom fit.

Nathan

post #8 of Old 07-04-2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
A lot of gutter guys form the gutter on site out of a roll of steel. It's cheaper that way and you get a more custom fit.
Oh, you were talking about actual gutter installation. Yep, I know all about that...Did that for about a year just out of HS. Kinda fun, but you definitely need help if you're doing long runs.

Mike Williamson

Gainesville, FL
352-213-7765

[email protected]
post #9 of Old 07-04-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I kind of switched topics mid stream didn't I

Nathan

post #10 of Old 10-19-2011, 11:43 PM

I know a guy who does all sorts of things besides work PW ... to be offered for trimming hedges, mowing the lawn, fix the door, replace light bulbs, fixing the tiles, everything you see that needs attention. I've thought about that aspect, but never pursued.
post #11 of Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM
J S

Multiply this out. Then find dA/dx and equate to zero in the usual way. Solve the resulting equation to find value of x that maximises area. You should find that x turns out to be a whole number.
post #12 of Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Down herer in Sydney, a lot of the gutter cleaning and window cleaning companies are branching out ot provide multiple services.

Here is an idea you might be able to try.

A Sydney gutter cleaning company has started to install safe roof access points while they are doing the gutters. They have had a lot of success combining their services like this. So see what other niches are not being serviced in your community and add these to your services. Wether it be safe roof access, roof repairs, chimney maintenance, whatever.
post #13 of Old 08-28-2012, 04:37 AM

How many of you people are having achievements in improving your rain gutter washing to consist of including things like displays and other upgrades.

Our services include installing and repairing roofs, gutters. and exterior sidings. We work extensively with Insurance companies, homeowners, and developers to strive and deliver the highest quality in Atlanta Roofing construction services.
post #14 of Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM

There is quite a big market for screens and money is definately out there to be made. But I don't think it is beneficial to the customer, unless their home has simple access and they can clean the screens themselves. Otherwise they get the screens installed and then neglect their gutters for a couple of years and then they got a nightmare on their hands with gunk underneath the screens and no way to clean it out! Except remove the screen! I've seen a lot of faliures with screening at many properties. It also doesn't make financial sense to get them, why pay thousands of dollars for a screen and still have to pay the same amount for maintenance? Rather go for roof repair as add on or Branch trimming.

Here is a link to my Gutter Cleaning Videos explaining why The Gutter Screens are useless:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX4JsgVX47Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yo51S0XX8o
post #15 of Old 03-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Registered

I sell Leaf screen/ Leaf guards all the time it helps a lot ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode