Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Looking for feedback on Gutter Cleaning Machine.

20K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  dalepie 
#1 ·
http://upkeeper.com/guttervid1.html

Would anyone who cleans gutters as a part of there business invest in a machine that vacuums out gutters from the ground and bags the leaves?

If so what percent of there business would have to be gutter cleaning to make an investment in a machine like this worthwhile?

What would you expect to pay for a machine like this that works well?

Thanks in Advance for your opinions.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that you'd still have to get on ladder to see if everything was being sucked up. I can't see that it would get the nasty wet sludge that is usually clogging up gutters. Also can't see many customers paying the premium price to have gutters cleaned that the local do-it-all lowballer will do it for 1/4 of what it's worth.

#3 · (Edited)
It all depends on what type of customers you have. I know most people in a nice neighborhood dont want muck and leaves running down the side of there house or falling on the driveway.

We plan to offer two different versions of the Gutter Keeper.
One for Heavy use and one for Intemitant use.

Many companys simply dont have enough gutter cleaning business to run one of these machines all day every day or provide services other than just gutter cleaning.
Here we recommend the "Medium duty" Machine which is priced right around

However for those that can put the machine to use day in and day out, we recommend the "Heavy duty" Model that is shown on our website.
The price on this machine is

The difference in the two models is in the motor and blower and the intake manifold being smaller on the "Medium duty" model.

Both units come with the same standard gutter cleaning tools and acessories and both will reach up to 25 feet.

#8 ·
The reason most of us couldn't make that machine work is that we would still need the use of a ladder and still consume time moving ladder and going up and down that ladder. By the time you pull that machine out, get it set up and started, the local neighborhood handyman has already got half the gutters cleaned and he does it for much less money than most of us will even get out of bed for. Running legitimate, insured and licensed businesses with the accompaning expenses, we can't economically make another $4900 space taking piece of eqipment work and still be competitive in a market notorious for low-balling fly-by-night individuals. My customers would not want to hear that I now offer cleaning out thier gutters for $500. The average vinyl cleaning job here pays $275+ and can be done in an hour and half or less. Any other add-on service needs to be priced accordingly in order to make the best wage possible in the said given time. Not much sense in spending an hour that is worth $100+ doing a job that only pays say $45/hr. Make sense?

I don't even offer the cleaning of the inside of gutters for this reason. I refer them to a guy that does odd jobs and feels that $15/hr. is good money. At that rate, that macine wouldn't pay for itself in a long time.

Yes, $4900 is too much for a machine that most likely can be built for about $900 if you are getting stuff wholesale etc... Add to the fact that I don't see it doing away with the PITA factor of needing a ladder. You still need to see if you are getting all of the debris out.

#9 ·
Oh and BTW, I am generally a negative point of view so maybe somebody else can make this thing work for them.:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Yeah he's insured but not sure as to his coverage. Just a handyman. When I say $15/hr, that's probably what he ends up making. I sent him a gutter clean a couple weeks ago and he said that he got $75 out of the home owner and was all giddy like he was wallering in cash. Probably took him a few hours. You see, some guys in our industry don't develop business systems. They make themselves a JOB and accept what they to believe is a good paycheck for thier JOB. Those guys are clueless. But the bad thing is that for some reason they are able to work 40 hrs a week no problem. They accomplish this with volume and low pricing. And I do mean LOW, so low that people are blind to the fact that they are probably hiring a hack or enabling a drugger/drinker. People just can't see past the the low $$$. And for each of those jobs taken, it is one less job and customer for those of us that are trying and spending money to reach. So when we're not seeing good numbers from our Ads and marketing, it's most likely because these consumers have already been "marketed" to by a guy knocking door to door. The ones I see out working have no signs/decals on trucks and no ad in Phone Book or Newspapers. The Door to Door guys are in abbundance here. The only explanation is door to door or they have a direct-mail campaign. Most likely it is the door to door.

Enough from me. Like I said I am usually too negative to be posting really. I guess when you've put all you have into a business and done all you can to put yourself out in front by being the most professional and having the best image and the best word of anyone, and still see low IQ and unlicensed guys out working full weeks while I land only 15% of my bids and the phone only rings with a salesman trying to sell me yet one more ineffective advertisement. When I first started, we'd get top dollar for services and now thier are so many PWers working for a 1/4 of what we used to get.

Anyhow Keth, I noticed that you haven't gotten listed in the directory of my site. http://www.pressurewashingusa.com

#15 ·
Here in the Uk we tend to do quite a bit of gutter cleaning but again the price is way over most of our needs, I do about thirty gutter cleans per year some do more some do less we have a company here in the UK that supply one with a camera on the end here's the link have a look.
http://www.omnipole.com/
just look for the Gutter Vac.
There is also a company that sells gutter Lance that is attached to a pressure washer, not my cupa tea, still go up my ladders to clean them.

#18 ·
Most companies here clean gutters for $25.00 to $50.00. These are the as stated handymen or people looking for beer money. No big companies can compete with this. Some will get on a roof and just use a leaf blower to blow the gutters out, or go to the local hardware and buy the 19.99 gutter cleaning tool hooked to a garden hose. If it hits the ground they don't care and either do most of the customers. The only reason they are cleaned is fear of ice dams.

Now my problem with the machine is will it flush out a downspout?

Also most lawns in the fall are very wet and if I were to drag this machine around a sponge like environment with hills and inclines or other there would be a lot of cussing and swearing as I have to tug and pull on the machine to get it out of a rutt.

The other problem is I can forsee damaged shingles as seen from the video you are blind when you are jamming this end into the gutter and causing damage to the end of shingles, and also most houses around here are taller than 25 feet reach.

#19 ·
i also clean gutters, i have tried various techniques, i even bout top of the range garden vacume. how ever i have to say the only way to clean a gutter properly is to get up n the roof and manually take it out. i use a hoe kind of tool that moves the debris to me then i use a scoop or hands to take it out, then finally i flush the gutter.

i am in australia and gutters are must, either before the fire season or the rain season, but most people neglect them..out of sight out of mind...

#21 ·
This machine is NOT a blower. Its a Vaccuum powered gutter cleaning system.

Our market pre-testing was a huge sucess and we are now selling the product to the public.

This will be the last post in this thread as it goes against forum policy.

Thank you everyone for your input!

Aaron C Ewing
Upkeeper Corp.
www.upkeeper.com

#23 ·
The market controls the price at this level . We still need lowballers in our area .They help market our industry, for me any free marketing is good. I don't promote violating the law . However the cost to educate consumers is in the millions . Since they help inform customers about our industry, we can spend our time and money on performing quailty work . There is only one sure fast way to control the market . Logos on trucks,phone books,online ads not going to cut the mustard . Your not going to control the market, because people keep stating publicly how they market and the lowballers will be there too. I have the answer , so do others they just may not know how to implement it . Go ahead p--- spread the word about power washing the more they spend the more we can make ,cost us nothing .

:D Im not going to lower my price , why not , Its priceless to have the consumer whoever has the consumer controls the market (lower your price?) whats the consumer worth to you ?

#29 ·
I think that you'd still have to get on steps to see if everything was being pulled up. I can't see that it would get the unpleasant wet debris that is usually blocking up rain gutters.

#30 ·
I wouldn't want one. It would only be good for a small portion of our gutter jobs, seeing as how it would only work on dry leaves. Most of our jobs have wet leafs and debris, and many also have clogged downspouts that need to be flushed with a hose. For the few jobs that could be done with this machine, I find a small leave blower works just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.