Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Mineral and hardwater stained windows

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  abyss00 
#1 ·
I've run across a lot of windows that have stains on them that dont come off with normal cleaners. The same goes for mirrors in bathrooms. I don't mean paints or coatings, but mineral and hardwater buildup that comes from things like rain, steam (from showers), shampoo, etc.. They look like normal water spots, but dont come off. How do ya'll go about cleaning that stuff off? Do you use special chemicals, extra elbow grease, what? Thinking on that note, if you perform regular maintenance on the windows (cleaning and such) will those kind of buildups even form? Thanks.

#2 ·
Yes, that is possible Mike...!

Hi Mike,

No, even if you do normal maintenance on those mirrors or windows, the residue buildup will still accumulate...

Although, as you will see if you have the time to visit the site below, there is a very simple solution that I've been using for years now...

#3 ·
Mike,

To answer your question in short...No, regular cleaning of exterior windows will not stop the build up for hard water spots. 9 times out of 10, hard water spotting is caused by poorly placed sprinkler systems. If the stain partially comes off with your fingernail, and you feel competent you can try and scrape them off. I do urge you to use a brand new razor as well as know what you are doing before you attempt to remove debris with a razor. You can do a lot of damage. For extreme hard water stains I use a product by sorbo to remove them, it involves buffing the surface of the glass. Be careful, the power is fairly caustic and should be handled with great care.

As far as inside mirrors go, you can prevent this by having your client’s wipe off the mirrors when they do get stains or debris on them.

Hope I could clearly answer your questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.