Washing Window Tricks - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-23-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Washing Window Tricks

Do your windows on a cool, or cloudy day. If you HAVE to do it in the sun, do it in the morning. What you want to avoid here is heat. Heat works against you.

Get a bucket of lukewarm water (not hot), and add 2-3 tablespoons of plain ammonia. Use a sponge that has a white scrubber on the other side (don't use the green ones, they are too course). Wet your window with the sponge side, then flip to the white scrub pad side, and scrub the window. You'll be able to "feel" when it's clean. You'll feel rough patches, etc when it's still not clean. This is a step most people fail at, if the window simply isn't clean, it's going to look cloudy when done. Scrub well.

You'll also need lots of clean, white cotton rags/towels/cleaning cloths. Diapers work great here. Dry by hand a 1 inch strip at the top of the window.
The trick for no streaks with the squeegee, is placing the dry rubber blade on a dry window.

Take the squeegee now and place it at the top of the window in that 1 inch dry strip. Pull down smoothly. Dry your squeegee blade with between each sweep. Finish window, if need be do one last sweep left to right at the bottom of the window.

Take a dry, clean cloth and run with your finger down each window side and across the bottom to clean and dry the edges. They should look perfect! And you'll feel great having clean windows.
home cleaning | vinegar cleaning | gift | Food | Relationship | Girl friend | Boy friend | Pregnancy | Vegetables | Clean | Milk | Exercises

Last edited by cutegirl; 01-25-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 PM

window cleaning

That is definitely true about the weather. Cleaning windows in direct sunlight is a pain. Sometimes the only way to do it is to clean small segments at a time. I have found that a squirt of dishsoap works a lot better than ammonia at cleaning. Cleaning windows with ammonia is kind of oldschool, none of the professional window cleaners clean with it anymore. I think they used it to give the squeegee "glide" (meaning it slips cleanly across the window). I prefer to use professional window cleaning formulas. You can get these at the janitorial store. The thing about the professional window cleaning solutions is that they glide really well and don't leave any residue. One problem with ammonia is that it can damage tint. Many commercial buildings have tint on the windows.

Jesse
Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
Poulsbo Window Cleaning

Last edited by april1979; 02-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.
post #3 of Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Love the info here, as an old window cleaner I know the risk so always use a pro company for high rise window cleaning If you get time check out my abseiling window cleaning site to see how we do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-16-2011, 08:45 AM

I agree that hot weather is the worst weather to clean windows but I'm with april1979 a dash o dish soap in warm water works much better than ammonia.

Office Cleaning London - Total Clean provide competitively priced office cleaning in London, also commercial cleaning and office cleaning services London, London city and W1.
post #5 of Old 03-17-2011, 04:47 AM

Not bad tips, although I have to agree with Jesse that ammonia isn't used so much anymore by professionals. I prefer to just use regular dishwashing liquid. I've found it works really well.

Window Cleaning Melbourne - Melbourne's premier Window Cleaners
Gutter Cleaning Melbourne - Professional Gutter Cleaning serving Melbourne
post #6 of Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 PM

A lot of thanks for a great advice about window cleaning. Nice information.

Love mother nature? Eco Friendly Cleaning Now!
post #7 of Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 AM

Nice tips, really.
I personally use vinegar/water solution when I'm cleaning the windows in my house. I like the result. My windows become clean and shiny.

I love cleaning and gardening!
post #8 of Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAtk View Post
Nice tips, really.
I personally use vinegar/water solution when I'm cleaning the windows in my house. I like the result. My windows become clean and shiny.
And what you use for wiping? Some kind of cloth or old newspapers?

post #9 of Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaheader View Post
And what you use for wiping? Some kind of cloth or old newspapers?
Well, in the past I used to wipe with old cloths, but now I use newspapers. They are far more effective and they leave no fibres on the glass.

post #10 of Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 AM

Ok, now I know that I'm not the only one, because most of my friends tell me that I'm crazy to wipe with newspapers..

post #11 of Old 05-16-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Ok, now I know that I'm not the only one, because most of my friends tell me that I'm crazy to wipe with newspapers..
There's nothing crazy in using effective innovations What do your friends use for wiping the windows?

post #12 of Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 AM

one uses a cotton cloth, other - microfiber... third - just hire a window cleaner

post #13 of Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
one uses a cotton cloth, other - microfiber... third - just hire a window cleaner
Depends on the preferences I use all of them, to be honest, but mostly newspapers or old clothes. Old unworn anymore clothes (cotton, of course) do a perfect job in window cleaning.

post #14 of Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 AM

Yeah, but somehow I can't wipe down with cloths (no matter of the fabric)... There always are streaks left.. That's why I use the newspapers

post #15 of Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 PM

Blue Dawn and a $5 Home Depot Unger squeegee will do you better than any rag or newspaper ever will.

... and ammonia, well, are you trying to clean the windows or sterilize them?

Chris Cartwright -Owner - Triple C Window Cleaners of NJ
908 913 0999 / 973 619 9994
Window Cleaning Central NJ
Window Cleaning Northern NJ
Window Cleaning Montclair NJ
post #16 of Old 10-21-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but somehow I can't wipe down with cloths (no matter of the fabric)... There always are streaks left.. That's why I use the newspapers
Hi,
I agree with your point and I also use newspaper and I generally avoids to clean window in winter season. Although, I know that there are a lot of option that we can use to clean window. However, I avoid it.
post #17 of Old 10-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
lisaheader I was surprise to see that you use newspaper. This is an "old school trick". My mom would make us use newspaper for cleaning the windows and mirrors in our house growing up. It's really surprising the great job it does.
post #18 of Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 AM
J S

For the house windows, I'd use olive oil or vegetable oil to remove the egg.

For the car, I'd use Bug and Tar remover for cars. That stuff is specially made to not harm the clearcoat finish or the polarized auto glass windows.
post #19 of Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 PM

post #20 of Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM

dazzling ideas, appreciate your ideas.I use cloth to remove the egg on house windows.
window cleaner

Tags
cleaning , home cleaning , vinegar cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode