Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

What about windows?

19K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  japsanjose 
#1 ·
I've been trying to get into windows what the best way to go. I do lots of them on const. cleanup but cant get them perfect.:huh:

#7 ·
Order J. Racenstein's catalog if you don't have it.
It has lots of really good information in there in addition to all the products you would ever need.

Do you do straight strokes and wipe after each stroke?
You really need to learn to squeegee windows without lifting your squeegee.

And like Scott said- get some commercial window cleaning concentrate.
Leave the Palmolive to Madge.

#16 ·
No, no soap...just gentle jets of pure water...first through an RO...then through a DI, for the final polish and to get the TDS reading down to zero. I use a variety of poles...depending on the height I'm working at...but it's mainly a fibre glass 18 footer...mostly domestic 2 story work. I rarely need a scraper...soak any crap for long enough with pure water...it'll come clean. Anyway, it's twice as fast as conventional methods (like with a squeegee and applicator)...loads safer too...since I converted to WFP...it's doubled my income. Now I can make a good day's wage in 5 hours or less. Much as I love the job, there's other things I want to do with my time as well...like ride my bike...go diving...or just chill out at my local bar...it's the best job in the world.:)

#22 ·
I take it you don't do interior windows.
WFPs tend to make a little bit of a mess inside.
;)

I did a 50 window construction clean today.
DI ain't gonna get all those stickers and silicone off.
And it won't get off pine tree sap.
:no:

I use water fed poles for some commercial accounts. They work great for regular exterior maintenance cleaning. I heard that people in the UK tend to get their windows done a lot more often than people do around here. I people that I do once a year, so you're basically doing an initial clean each time.

#19 ·
Hi Guys
Just joined today,and am a professional window cleaner here in the UK, and still useing the traditional methods, at the moment, but sometime in the future, I will be changing over to the water fed pole system.

I would just like to say that when you buy your product from your local suppliers, they are not always clued up to your type of work.

the sales guy, may be able to show you how to hold your squegee, and he may be able to show you how to use it. but it takes months to master it, if your new to the squeegie, then I would suggest to you that you use the straight down method, and after each stroke, wipe your blade (squegee) this will stop the line's you can get, I don't know if you guy's use scrims for the final deatailing, but if you do try to keep down the amount you put it on the window. you will end up with bits all over the windows and a white cloudy residue, the only way to get rid of it, is to wash the window again. I hope this little bit of info helps.

#23 · (Edited)
no, most of my round is domestic...and over here it get's done every month, month in, month out, all weather's. I don't do 'inside's'...too much hassle...and we don't have the problems of tree sap...well, at least not like you seem to....I'll bet it's a pain to get off.:unsure:
here's link to a WFP company over here...

http://www.faceliftcleaning.co.uk/gb/services.php

it's just one of dozens, but a good example...

#25 ·
Window Cleaning Advise and Help

Hello everyone I am brand spankin new to this site, but seen a question of what soap to use that does not leave streaks- well here is my idea, first of all get rid of the dish soap, (some contain a film-like substance which is suppose to be good for your hands while washing dishes) the only dish soap I reccommened is Joy, and not too many people use that anymore either, the best solution that I have found is Sparco glass cleaner, comes in either aerosol can or a liquid form - I use the liquid form diluted in water (2oz. glass cleaner/ 21oz.+water). Well another thing is does anyone know how to find residential work on the internet, such as bidding on jobs etc.? I have heard of Demandstar but that is government jobs, anything like that for residential? Thanks for everyone help!!

#27 ·
Hello everyone I am brand spankin new to this site, but seen a question of what soap to use that does not leave streaks- well here is my idea, first of all get rid of the dish soap, (some contain a film-like substance which is suppose to be good for your hands while washing dishes) the only dish soap I reccommened is Joy, and not too many people use that anymore either, the best solution that I have found is Sparco glass cleaner, comes in either aerosol can or a liquid form - I use the liquid form diluted in water (2oz. glass cleaner/ 21oz.+water). Well another thing is does anyone know how to find residential work on the internet, such as bidding on jobs etc.? I have heard of Demandstar but that is government jobs, anything like that for residential? Thanks for everyone help!!
Welcome to the site.

#35 ·
Foam Cleaner For Windows

For smaller windows, and other small area glass, a foaming glass cleaner works really well. Doesn't leave streaks. Use the finest microfiber cloths to wipe clean.

Larger areas use a good window concentrate and mix according to directions. There is a commercial brand called Hillyard and they have a really good concentrate product. I get mine online here. http://www.baxtersales.com/catalog/catalogproductdetail.aspx?itemno=HYD-138-1-CS

To clean windows.;)

#37 ·
Window Cleaning

Ettore Squeegee off is ok. Unger "the pill" is also pretty decent. Seems like, pro window cleaners like Glass Gleam 3 the best though. My opinion: you need to have plenty of glide. Regular dish soap doesn't seem to have enough glide unless you also want a bunch of suds to clean up. You could just use less dishsoap in the bucket and add a litlle "super slip" by winsol. "Super Slip" is a wetting agent - makes it glide better... also helps it not evaporate when it's sunny. You also need to be using high quality rubber, like ettore. Cheap rubber won't give you good results. Another thing to consider if you are serious about cleaning windows is to replace the rubber blades often. Old, worn out or nicked rubber will give you terrible results. Are you using a window cleaning scraper? If you are not getting all the debris off the windows, your squeegee blades will get all nicked up. You've gotta scrape the windows properly.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.