What does window cleaning involve? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

What does window cleaning involve?

You might or might not clean windows yourself. If you do then these tips will come in handy. If you donít, these tips will still come in handy. Even if you choose to get a professional service to clean your windows knowing what it involves will give you the upper hand because you will be able to tell whether or not they are doing the job as it should be done.

Products

There are many window cleaning products in the market. There are even cleaning solutions that can be put together at home. These solutions can be made out of vinegar, alcohol, ammonia, borax etc. It is always a good idea to check on the product that the company you have hired is using. If it a self made concoction ask for the ingredients. The most important tip to remember is never mix and acid and an alkali to make a cleaning solution. They neutralise each other and all you will be left with are dirty windows!

The process

In order to achieve the best results while window cleaning, there is a very simple process that needs to be followed.
  • Wipe off all the excess dirt
  • Spray the windows with water and then the cleaning solution
  • Use a squeegee to wipe off the solution and dry the window. You can also use a soft cloth.
Window Cleaning Services | Housekeeping Services | Floor Cleaning Services
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 AM

window cleaning solutions

I am a professional window cleaner by trade. As far as window cleaning solutions go, most window cleaners use either dishsoap or glass gleam (a professionally formulated window cleaning solution that is quite similar to dishsoap). A couple of squits (approx 2 tbs) of dawn or palmolive in a couple gallons of water should be a good mixture. I always add a wetting agent to the mix so that the squeegee glides better ( I use winsol super slip). Instead of using a spray bottle, I would use an applicator - also called a strip washer or scrubber. A strip washer is an absorbant sleeve over the top of a t-bar. The advantage of the scrubber is that not only does it apply the solution more evenly, but it also loosens the debris on the window. I would highly reccommend using a scrubber,

Jesse Green
www.sparkle-king.com
post #3 of Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM

I have some customers call in saying that when they clean their windows there are alot of white streaks. Any ideas on what that might be from? I thought too much product being used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Whites Streaks

Streaks can be caused by a number of different things: wrong product being used to clean the windows, worn out squeegee rubber, nicks in the rubber, not wiping the top edge of the glass (the water and solution eventually run down the window) and so forth. I'm guessing that you are not wiping the top edge of the window dry.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
post #5 of Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Hmm...makes sense. I will have to let my customers know when they call. Thank you!

www.discountcleaningproducts.com
post #6 of Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 AM

I've heard vinegar and newspaper works well on windows. Is that true?

Office Cleaning London - Total Clean provide competitively priced office cleaning in London, also commercial cleaning and office cleaning services London, London city and W1.
post #7 of Old 03-18-2011, 05:31 AM

I am not sure about the vinegar, but newspaper works pretty well but still sometimes it leaves some streaks. I usually make my own solution that contains alcohol (mostly vodka) and clean with old newspaper and it works for me.

post #8 of Old 03-19-2011, 01:26 AM

Talking wonderful!

These are some great tips. Thank you so much for sharing!!
post #9 of Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM

vinegar and newspaper

Regarding vinegar and newspaper for cleaning windows, please save yourself the agony of using this ineffective method. This does not work at all. The only reason why people started doing this was during the great depression when no one had any money to use the proper equipment. Besides nowadays newspaper are different than they used to be. The vegetable-based dyes run very easily when wet. Even if you were to use plain newsprint, why would you when you could use a microfiber? Newspapers to clean windows is extremely outdated. Using a squeegee is by far the best technique. If you really don't want to use a squeegee, I suggest that you use an alcohol based foaming glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Sprayaway foaming glass cleaner works pretty well.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
post #10 of Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 AM

OK, I agree with the microfiber, but why I need to use that cleaning products offered in the market? Most of them contain dangerous and toxic substances that activate my allergy. The vinegar doesn't work, yes, but why not give a try to a homemade solution of alcohol, some water and very little amount of dish washing liquid?

post #11 of Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 AM

There are many window cleaning products on the market. There are even cleaning solutions can be put together at home. In the best of times cleaning windows is not a favorite of many people. I have some clients call to say that when they clean the windows there are plenty of white stripes. Any ideas on what could be? I used too much product.
post #12 of Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 AM

yeah, i think this might be the reason. try to reduce the amount of cleaning solution u usually use

post #13 of Old 08-01-2011, 04:25 AM

Why using alcohol based cleaners when you can buy the cheapest bottle of vodka and witness its great cleaning power? But do not drink it because you certainly will not see clearly as through the cleaned windows.

Best Regards,
Cheryl Parker
post #14 of Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM

Newer method only require a window squeegee if possible with a telescoping arm, and some good old fashioned window cleaning detergent, preferably with a spray nozzle bottle!

long island fire damage help
post #15 of Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 AM

I have used the vinegar and also got it as best cleaning solution. Apart that cleaning with newspaper help to clean windows perfectly.
post #16 of Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions on the window cleaning. I am always in favor of vinegar cleaner, which is a good cleaning product.
post #17 of Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 AM

Windows may appear to be clean but when the sun shines on them we get the true picture. Window cleaning is a large task but can be simplified by using techniques and equipment made for doing windows.Wipe very dirty windows with a damp cloth. Don't rub dirt because it will scratch the glass. A vacuum cleaner with an attachment will work for this job, too. With a clean sponge or cloth lightly wet the window.

remove soot in manhattan ny
post #18 of Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 AM

window cleaning involves not cleaning your windows but also cleaning the area in and around your windows. This can sometimes mean your having to battle your way through a hundred thousand cobwebs and other insects but the end result will definitely be well worth the effort.
post #19 of Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 AM

Generally window cleaning involve the best cleaning products with cleaning. These solutions can be made of vinegar alcohol, ammonia, borax etc.Thanks for sharing above all the tips.

post #20 of Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM

A couple tablespoons of dawn dish soap mixed with a few gallons of water is what the vast majority of pros use. We also use Ettore or Sorbo squeegees with pretty much any applicator, but I prefer Unger. These, with lots of clean dry rags, and you'll be good to go.

However, if you have little or no experience with washing windows, I recommend sticking to straight-pulls from left to right (if your right handed,otherwise vice-versa), and wiping your squeegee with a rag between each pull. The fanning technique is much more efficient but it does take about 40+ hrs to get the hang of, and many months to master.

Tags
window cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in