Window Cleaning.....What the potential? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-01-2008, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Window Cleaning.....What the potential?

Was thinking of adding window cleaning as an additional service to my company. Don't know if its more hassle than it's worth. Just wanted some opinions from those already working it.

Is it really worth it?
What's the pricing roughly?
Do these, " easy use extension polls" really work to your advantage? Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanDude View Post
Was thinking of adding window cleaning as an additional service to my company. Don't know if its more hassle than it's worth. Just wanted some opinions from those already working it.

Is it really worth it?
What's the pricing roughly?
Do these, " easy use extension polls" really work to your advantage? Etc.
I think it's worth it. You can get started for next to nothing: you can use DAWN dish soap or a concentrate, an applicator, squeegee, some extra fine wool for scraping off bugs and debris and some microfiber towels. You don't need ladders if you use telescopic rods and I can typically clean a two story home with 15-20 windows without a ladder in under 2 hours. I typically will charge a $5.00 flat rate for any glass surface unless it has extra panes of glass... I average $35-40/hour. No one ever taught me the proper techniques (as if it's intricate) I just went on youtube and watched some videos and was ready to go. Your first couple of homes will probably take a lot longer and you'll more than likely run into some issues with screens and such but most windows are the same animal and overtime you'll get really proficient.
post #3 of Old 08-27-2008, 10:38 AM

We are charging 8 dollars per window and only do 1st floor windows on the outside, though I have been considering a telescopic rod for 2nd floor windows as well.

You say your using dawn dish soap, but how well does it work when you have windows that haven't been cleaned in 10 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotless_Touch View Post
We are charging 8 dollars per window and only do 1st floor windows on the outside, though I have been considering a telescopic rod for 2nd floor windows as well.

You say your using dawn dish soap, but how well does it work when you have windows that haven't been cleaned in 10 years?
Wow... $8.00/window? And only the outside?... and only on the first floor?

I've found DAWN to be very comparable to other window washing concentrates... both are around the same price, so I guess it comes down to preference.
post #5 of Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Dawn is the bomb! We too use only Dawn, water and a squeegie. We price per pane size ~ Ranging between $4 and 6 for interior & $5 to $8 for exterior. Using a pole we will clean reachable 2 story windows
post #6 of Old 08-29-2008, 02:55 PM

well I can only assume it's good, though I haven't used dawn. I am going to possibly try it, and to answer the other persons question - no both inside and out but so far only on the first floor and inside on the second -

however i am going to buy a pole to clean 2nd floor windows
post #7 of Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 PM

I'm sure that this choice will really help your company earned money.. I think you can price it roughly 7-8 dollars per window...
post #8 of Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM

I use Dawn and it really is the best to use on glass. Muriatic acid takes off Hard water too and you can get it cheap at Lowes or home depot....no more scraping with the razer which is how I used to get it off. Just make sure you rinse it extremely well.

John Stevenson

www.jjwindowwash.com
post #9 of Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Earning Potential of Window Cleaning

There is good money in window cleaning, but you need to price your services correctly, do good work, and target the right demographic. Window cleaning customers are mostly pretty financially well off. You need to realize this when designing your marketing campaigns. Don't flyer tract house neighborhoods. Don't use cheesy used-car marketing jargon. Make sure to look clean cut and don't swear or smell like cigarette smoke when you are on customers property. Common sense, but it needs to be said. You don't want to look like the some of the crusty painter or drywall guys with 4 days of stubble, and a hung-over look. High end cleaners need to cultivate a professional and polished image. That being said, you can make $200-$500 per house easily, pricing your windows at $4-$8 per pane (inside & out). I would recommend starting at $4-$5 per pane at first.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
post #10 of Old 07-27-2011, 04:36 AM

One of the services is more dangerous commercial cleaning, window cleaning of the buildings no matter how high the building. I use the Aurora and it really is best to use in the glass. Muriatic acid will remove hard water and you can get cheap at Lowes or Home Depot .... no more scraping the razer is what they use to get it off. Just be sure to rinse well.
post #11 of Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 AM

Generally speaking the 1.50 per window trick will work. I am not talking about each pane of glass visibly but each window section. This means the standard semi-detached three bedrooms home should get around 10.

new york fire damage help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode