Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Being Successful in a Bull Market

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  topnotch 
#1 ·
I just replied to a post about needing to hire people and it made me think a new thread is needed. You would not think this way normally but bull markets separate the great companies from the not so great. In this kind of market demand for cleaning services is good. Having sufficient quality staffing is hard. Great companies know how to hire great employees and how to retain them in a market where an employee can quit today and be working somewhere else tomorrow.

This is a market that leaves many companies trying pick up the pieces explaining to customers how the job got screwed up by an incompetent employee.

Do you agree? Do you have tips for people on how to navigate this successfully?

Richard
Apex Pressure Washing - Best in the Business

#2 ·
Hi

I dont think there are bad or good employees. In think there are motivated and non motivated employees. I pay my workers a flat fee per week. Regardless of the amount of time spent daily. If we are bussy, we work 15 hours per day & if we are not busy, we are spending times with our families. I know people that are paying an hourly rate. But there are times when there is little work due to snow, floods, etc. In this times the employees can have serious financial problems especially if they have a big mortgage.

I know other companies that are paying people a flat fee (salary) but if there is not work in 1 days, they bring the cleaners to their homes to clean their own home. They are always short of staff.

I think my system is the best and it makes workers feel obliged to work longer when the work is there. If we get 2 days with a lot of sun (not that often in Ireland), i try to let them ho home early. The energy they have the next day is amazing.

#3 ·
I completely agree with Dublin that treating employees well and motivated is the way to go. While it might appear on the surface that your costs will be higher because you are paying even when there is not work in the long run I think it is cheaper. You have less rework, less lost clients, less recruiting expense etc. This is the way we run Top Notch. It is my job to make sure the pipe is full so that my employees are busy cleaning windows. Nice to see businesses treating employees right.

Aaron
Top Notch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.