Best way to get up and running - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-11-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Best way to get up and running

Hi everyone, I am a custodian by trade at a college university and have been for over seven years. I have done just about all types of commercial cleaning there is. I would like to start a small cleaning service on the side cleaning a couple offices just to supplement my current income. I would like some advice on how to get started, advertising, what to charge etc. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Anybody??
post #3 of Old 09-12-2014, 09:42 AM

To get started, I would look into getting a business license. For rates, try calling the local competition to see what they would charge. Or ask some local business owners what they are paying now for custodial cleaning. If that doesn't work, then you could search online for what others are charging. I'm doing residential cleaning.

You can advertise for free on craigslist in my area. Another option is passing out flyers for areas you'd like to work in, or direct mail, by mailing postcards or letters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-15-2014, 05:04 AM

How competitive is corporate cleaning in California?
post #5 of Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Call around to competitors to get an idea of the market price in your area. Set up a website yourself to get started, and put advertising money into door hangers, SEO/internet marketing, and yard signs. Start with cheap used equipment off craigslist.
post #6 of Old 10-10-2014, 05:48 AM

I would focus on the blue collar world if I was you. I am a new start up and have 3 accounts. 2 of which are with trucking companies and the 3rd a construction supply company. They are far less picky and demanding then the white collar world. I have also noticed that banks, call centers, franchises (national chains) tend to already have contracts with national cleaning companies that they cant veer from even if they wanted to. Although this is not always true I think you will get more play with smaller blue collar type places. My 1 contract never had a cleaning company and I actually sold them on the idea. Also please take note. CAR MAGNETS. Big as you can get them with a catchy phrase, logo and attractive coloring. Make sure you keep your car clean to because its bad advertising otherwise. Also most people just put them on the sides, which is not well thought out. You need something on your hood and your rear end as well. Its about the cheapest and most effective way to advertise. Make sure that when you go about your daily business (grocery shopping, out to eat, movies...) that you park away from cars but in a visual place. Also when you are home park at the end of the driveway or at a good angle. Good luck.
post #7 of Old 10-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Your question is incredibly broad but I agree that you need to form a company with the state. Next thing I'd do is print some business cards. Get the cards to all your friends and acquaintances and let them know what you are looking for. Don't stop letting people know you are serious about landing a client and doing a stellar job to prove your worth. You will get a client that way. Formal advertising is a money sink hole for you at this stage. That is not so different than how I started Pacific Steam Carpet Cleaning in Lynnwood, Wa.

Jim
post #8 of Old 11-17-2014, 09:45 PM

good discussion

thanks for the information. I am researching and trying to discern whether creating my own cleaning business is right for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode