The big money question- How much do I need to start? More details inside... - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By superiorservicesyork
  • 1 Post By Maid to Shine

post #1 of Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

The big money question- How much do I need to start? More details inside...

Warning this may be full of dumb questions and assumptions !

I am looking to start a green cleaning company. As natural as I can get while still getting the job done in a good amount of time and cleaning as well as using chemicals. One question is- Is that even possible? Can I get the same level of clean from using more natural products?

Next, how much would everyone here recommend I have on hand to start this business. I would expect that I probably wouldn't turn a profit in the first year? Agreed? Or is this the type of business, if done right can actually bring a small paycheck in the first year? The plan is to hire out the cleaning crew while I handle the phone lines and booking. Is this what's recommended or should I hire someone who is able to both book, give estimates and even be head of a house cleaning team? Someone who has been in the business before with more experience? My fear is under bidding for the time a home should take!

Here are my estimated start up costs . Please let me know if anything seems off for first month expenses/start up expenses. I'm hoping that this could be done for around 15k.

Advertisement $3000 (Includes car graphics and website)
Vehicle down payment $3000
Cleaning supplies, rags, small tools, vacuum $2500
Misc starting fees including insurance $3500
Employee expenses $2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 PM

There is not really a magic number but judging your estimates I could definitely see some areas that can be worked.
First is the vehicle- when starting you should question that expense with little or no clients. Not only do you have the $3000 down but then you have monthly payment to stress over.
Next is the employee expense- not only do you have to have payroll to cover but insurance and other employee expenses. Don't forget background checks. If you plan on hiring a crew and just sending them out on jobs you must be willing to at the very least do a final inspection until you are comfortable leaving them on their own to finish the job to your clients standards.
I would concentrate on your marketing items- business cards, brochures, letterhead and
a few promo items, i use inexpensive mugs with my logo and put a few tea bags and packs of sugar in it with a pen and magnet
Getting the clients is where you should focus. Cold calling and door knocking is going to be the norm. Wear nice clothing, I wear khakis with a company polo and carry your items neatly.
With all that being said I started many years ago with $4000.00 most of it going to marketing wnd supplies. I started with my own mini van and was my only employee for the first 6 months. Long hours and hard work will go along way. Focus on quality and reliability and you will be up and running in no time.
I hope this helps in some ways.
Pounclemikey likes this.
post #3 of Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Thank you for*good*communication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM

I am going to give you some suggestions here. I want to say, I am trying to help and not puting you down, so if you get the put down "vibe" from me, that is not my heart (sometimes I might come off as blunt, but I really care about you!)

Before you spend $1.00. Start the company and do the work yourself for 3 months. See how the bidding goes, test the waters. Then go for it, not before. Read the books The E-Myth Revisted and Entreleadership before you start.

I am a 100% green company. If it does not pass a A at www.ewg.org I do not use it! For 90% of the time I have found they work better than chemicals.

I always have profit. I would not run a business without profit. I take home 20% of gross profits.

I started my company for $150. I now have 14 people working for me 5+ years later. I think a better question is, how fast do you want to grow? Is it wise to spend 15k when you haven't done this before? Have you run a small business before? And I would never us a loan of any kind (credit card, SBA, mortgage, etc).

$3000 for advertising (I am assuming per month) would be a lot for a start up. I would stop there and think about what you are going to do with that money. You can easily put money into a marketing idea that does not work, it happens to me all the time. As far as a wrap, my car just got a wrap on it last week for the first time. Get some cheap magnets at http://www.magnetsonthecheap.com/, I buy them for $10 each with coupon codes. Don't get me wrong, $3000 if you want to grow fast is a perfect amount, I am concerned about spending $3000 that goes no where.

$3000 vehicle down payment. really? Why do you need a "new" vehicle for this job. If you need a car, buy a used one for $3000. If your car works, keep it. I had a used 2000 Toyota Corolla until last month (no hub caps). It does not detour people from taking your services.

Cleaning supplies - We spend $250 in supplies per person when we hire them. Vacuum = Goodwill for $20 each.

Misc Fees - umm, telephone = magicjack $50 per year; insurance including liability, bonding, and workmen's comp = $3000 (depends on the area too); business license in Colorado was $25.

Employee expenses - advertising for people maybe $100 + free places like craigslist and churches. Background and Drug screening $50 per person. As far as that, they only get paid when you get paid, so you don't need any other start up costs.

I would say without starting from scratch like I did, it would be nice to have $6,000 to start and 50% of that going into marketing. You need to set aside 3 months worth of marketing money because you will not have enough profits to pay for that much to start. This should be enough for 2 people to be working for you.

I say this with caution. Before you start anything, call a medium size carpet cleaning place near you and see if you can have coffee with the owner. Tell him you are opening a Maid Service and see if he will talk to you about what marketing works for him.

Hope that helps,

-Crista
Pounclemikey likes this.
post #5 of Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 AM

The only cleaning products I trust are from Melaleuca - message me at melaleuca by gisele at gmail dot com - to see a 35 minute web overview. You'll be glad you did.

Natural / Refreshing / Cleansing / Healing / Relief / Soothing / Fun / Opportunity / Residual Income - so many words to describe an honest product. Finally... something that makes sense!

--Message me for more information. Switch stores... you'll be glad you did.

--I work for a company that sells wellness products that are environmentally friendly for your children and your pets! I only make referrals & help set up customer accounts from home!

--If you are interested in some great products and maybe even making a little extra play money this is perfect for you!

Have a beautiful day !
post #6 of Old 09-04-2013, 01:36 AM

message me at MELALEUCA BY GISELE AT G MAIL DOT COM

Natural / Refreshing / Cleansing / Healing / Relief / Soothing / Fun / Opportunity / Residual Income - so many words to describe an honest product. Finally... something that makes sense!

--Message me for more information. Switch stores... you'll be glad you did.

--I work for a company that sells wellness products that are environmentally friendly for your children and your pets! I only make referrals & help set up customer accounts from home!

--If you are interested in some great products and maybe even making a little extra play money this is perfect for you!

Have a beautiful day !
post #7 of Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 AM

Thanks for sharing your experienced about how to invest money while starting the business.It really helps those who are new to this concept.Great post!
post #8 of Old 06-25-2017, 04:42 PM

Get more information about going green with Melaleuca here.

Heather Fuller~Infinite Legacy Solutions
Education, Action, Support

post #9 of Old 07-27-2017, 08:58 AM

I started with $1500, 700 for supplies and startup costs such as licensing and insurance, and 800 for advertising. I've made my money back ten-fold the first year. Spending more to get started isn't always better, and it's a lot harder to get back even spending that kind of money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode