Boyfriend/Girlfriend business structure - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Wink Boyfriend/Girlfriend business structure

First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forum. I am a new member, but believe I have read over 200 threads on here lol. This site is packed with great information, and a big thank you to everyone that has contributed... My question is me and my girlfriend have been planning a housecleaning business for about two months now. Our biggest question is what is the most beneficial structure for setting up our business sole proprietorship, partnership, llc, or any of the other options. If we were husband and wife it seems as if a qualified joint venture would be the best way of doing business, as of right now we are not though. This will be my first startup, any and all input would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-04-2016, 03:07 PM

I would suggest you dont' do it. I've been running a few different businesses for the past 15 years and I can tell you running a business with two non committed people (from a relation standpoint) where the stakes are high is not a good idea at all. What happens when she decides to leave? What happens to your business? Its a LOT easier for that to happen when you are not married. Its hard enough to deal with when you are married but when you are not its even more difficult since you have a business that is NOT easily unraveled without going through a court process. Do you really want to go through that?

Bottom line, NO PARTNERSHIPS ! ! ! There is a saying in business that is SOOOO true. "The only ship that won't float is a Partnership." Make sure one person is the Owner, CEO, or whatever and the other person does not have a controlling stake in the business. Whether that is you or her is up to you but ONLY one person runs the show and the other simply works for the company. You can give the other person a fancy title if that strokes their ego and makes them feel better but please heed this advice.

Not trying to get too preachy on you but I've been around long enough and seen a lot or really bad endings to this. When you work a business together you are NOT in a wishy washy relationship anymore you have entered into a legal framework that will have consequences.

You would probably be best served with either an S Corp or an LLC to help keep liability from going to you personally.
post #3 of Old 11-04-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate your response. However, we work well together and have already worked together for some time. We are not married but have been living, and working together for almost two years, so I was just trying to figure out the best business structure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 PM

It depends on the relationship but I would say you need to have an agreement on what happens if the relationship goes south. Who gets to take over the business. What type of buyout will there be etc.
post #5 of Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 PM

It CAN work but so can marriages. Take it for what you will.

Tags
husband wife , new business , startup , structure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode