Can I guy clean? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Can I guy clean?

Hi. I am considering starting my own residential/ outdoor lawn maintenance cleaning service. I want to go solo for now. However I am a guy. I wonder if this would be a negative. Or would it be considered unique. From my research I think there are more woman truck drivers than residential cleaning guys. What do you think? something different in the industry or would it scare people off (assumptions and stereotypes?)

I thought I could assure customers of my clean history and of course references...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-27-2014, 01:55 AM

I've cleaned houses for others since 1995 but I didn't get serious until 1998. Since then I have had..... who knows how many thousands of customers and hundreds of employees. But, I started as a 1 man-band. There are lots of males that own cleaning companies and the customers never know. My customers DID know and they loved me. They usually wanted me to answer the phone and talk to them because they knew I'd fix any problem they had. and they wanted me to clean because they knew i cleaned better than any employee could ever clean. But neither happened but I usually kept them happy by showing up at their house or a number of other things I did to keep in touch.

I think some of what has helped me is that I stay clean cut. I start out on a happy note and try to make short jokes.... even on the phone to strangers. Once on the bid I used to make friends with the kids and the dog/cat. And, I knew my stuff. They would ask a question and I'd fire back an answer. People like that.

Something that drives potential customers away FAST.... mentioning that you are male.

Why does it matter? Why do a lot of males that want to clean focus on them being a male? Who cares........... unless you bring it up.....then people care. Why you ask..... because YOU brought it up so it must be a big deal... right?

As far as indoor... outdoor.... choose one and roll with it. If you start out with a million dollar budget you will quickly waste it all if you don't focus on 1 thing at a time. Once you are comfortable with the one thing you choose... let someone else run that business and you can focus on the next 1 thing you choose. But for now... focus on 1. If I didn't have so many irons in the fire I'd get you started. But I'm spread so thin I have no time. Good luck!
post #3 of Old 11-27-2014, 06:21 AM

I am a 41 year old male and getting ready to start my own solo cleaning business as well (residential). And I have absolutely no hang-up about it either.

My father ran a successful cleaning business for 15 years and had many employees working that were male.

It's all in how you present yourself - smile, dress nice, be courteous. And you (we) will do fine!

- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-13-2015, 10:20 PM

Can a guy clean?

Absolutely. I've had a cleaning business for 20 years.

Here's my blog: http://www.cleanwithasmile.blogspot.com/
post #5 of Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Ummmm....

Personally, I would be hesitant to hire a single guy to clean my house, especially if I were a woman. Just kinda looks funny, you know? I'm sure there are guys who do it successfully, but maybe you should focus on the outside and hire a lady to do the inside. IMHO.

Visit my website for free information about how I got started making big $$$ in the cleaning business: www.cleansweepbook.com
post #6 of Old 02-07-2015, 08:36 PM

Red face Guy Clean?

....lol YUP!

3 more and I can upload my pics! YAY!
post #7 of Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 AM

There are many types of cleaning.
Commercial office cleaning,pressure cleaning,window cleaning,gutter cleaning,tile and carpet cleaning. There are just as many if not more men handling these types of cleaning.
House cleaning seems to be more geared to woman,but so what...
http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
post #8 of Old 07-05-2015, 03:43 PM

yes you can!
post #9 of Old 08-14-2015, 03:17 AM

Of course you can! These conservative understandings are long gone (professionally talking) of course. Make a plan, get the money and shoot.
post #10 of Old 10-30-2015, 10:15 AM

Do whatever you want, if you can do it the best way nobody will care whether you're male or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode