The checks in the mail? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

The checks in the mail?

Hey guys, im a new upstart and we just recently got our second job, an apartment complex that we have done about 1100$ worth of work for. The first invoice (600$) is a few days late being payed. They said it was mailed out tuesday, today is saturday and no check.

I know stuff happens but if its in the mail it should have been in by now.

I know this is just one invoice and i may deal with this alot, i just hope we are not being used for free work since we are new and green.

How long should i wait before i sick my uncle who is a lawyer? And how often does this happen? Should i be concerned at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-10-2013, 03:47 PM

And I will respect you in the morning

Check is in the mail

Those are two of the most common lies.
post #3 of Old 11-10-2013, 05:44 PM

I would give it till at least the following Tuesday (assuming this client is in the same city), If not received by then, inform them you still have not received payment. If they make no effort in resolving the problem, talk to your lawyer.

Latoya Hudley, LH Superior Cleaning Services, LLC
Raleigh, NC (919) 817-8331

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. This helps.
post #5 of Old 12-23-2013, 11:46 PM

I would advice you to just wait for this week. And then get back with them if you do not get your payment.
post #6 of Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 AM

Wink

I heard that about a million times doing collections for a maintenance company I used to work for. More than half the time it was a lie, and they had to be called back a week later. Even when the check did come relatively soon, it was still obvious they had only mailed it after I called. Customers usually lie, and everyone forgets sometimes, so customers sometimes forget they lied and said they mailed it, and so they forget to go ahead and mail it after you call. So calling a week later is always your best bet. What you should never do, is get frustrated like I did once, and say you didn't know they were an international company who cuts their checks from another country
post #7 of Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 PM

I assume you didn't received your check? Check is in the mail is a well-known lie most of the times.
post #8 of Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1st View Post
I assume you didn't received your check? Check is in the mail is a well-known lie most of the times.
It came in awhile back. All is good!
post #9 of Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM

I'm glad it came through. I usually wait a couple weeks before I call the customer. You don't want to ruin a relationship or seem too pushy to get paid. I find 99% of customers will pay with a simple phone call as a reminder.

-R&R Carpet Cleaning
post #10 of Old 08-02-2014, 04:25 AM

Another thing is: the post office is not the well-oiled machine it used to be. In Canada the CBC did a test, sending three identical letters: one by bike courier, one by post, and one by pony express, going from Ottawa to Toronto. The pony express got there the fastest, and the one they mailed hadn't gotten there by the time the segment aired on tv. I'd never cut somebody off on a Thursday or Friday; always wait till Monday or Tuesday before blowing a gasket, because mail can and does turn up over the weekend. But glad to hear you didn't need any advice and it all worked out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode