Cleaning Salesperson?? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning Salesperson??

HI I just wanted to get some input about a cleaning company salesperson or to see if anyone has hired on before. I have a new cleaning company, started November 2007. We have been doing OK with new customers, but want more!! I am great "behind the scenes" with all the paperwork but horrible at "cold Calls". We have put a ton of money in advertising...huge billboard on a major roadway, 1/2 page ads in the paper, but we do not feel as though we are getting enough response. Just this week we decided to hire a part-time salesperson to go into all offices and commercial buildings. We told him we would try him out for 2 months. We have since changed are ads in the paper to 1/8 page to offset our cost....MY QUESTION IS....has anyone ever had a "Salesperson for a cleaning company and if so how did it go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-18-2008, 09:19 PM

We have not done it but did think about it a few months ago. We did not do it but we thought about paying on a commission basis. Whatever new accounts they land they would get a certain percentage of the profits minus supplies and overhead. That was just our idea. Others who may have done it might have better ideas.

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #3 of Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Post Hiring a Salesman

I hired a full-time salesman a few months ago. He was working for a franchise janitorial company in the area so he had experience. Sales run hot and cold depending on the month and a good salesman can be costly with salary, benefits, gas allowance, etc. I also hired a local part-time telemarketer with janitorial appointment setting experience and is a fraction of the cost of the salesman. I get about 2 good appointments per week with the telemarketer. I didn't hire a salesman until I reached about $1M in yearly sales to support the expense. I know people look for salespeople who will work on commission only but I highly doubt that anyone decent will stick around for long.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.clean-that-mess.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 PM

We have had great success with telemarketers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahra352 View Post
I hired a full-time salesman a few months ago. He was working for a franchise janitorial company in the area so he had experience. Sales run hot and cold depending on the month and a good salesman can be costly with salary, benefits, gas allowance, etc. I also hired a local part-time telemarketer with janitorial appointment setting experience and is a fraction of the cost of the salesman. I get about 2 good appointments per week with the telemarketer. I didn't hire a salesman until I reached about $1M in yearly sales to support the expense. I know people look for salespeople who will work on commission only but I highly doubt that anyone decent will stick around for long.
Peter Weiss
www.clean-that-mess.com
Although each affiliate who has worked with telemarketers has had a different experience, here in NH, I find that the telemarketing route is the easiest way to attract new customers. We too get about 2 to 3 customers every week as a result. I also find it easy to manage the cost, rather than hiring fulltime employees to handle this, we simply contract out this service. headache free yet benneficial.
post #5 of Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 AM

Telemarketers really do work? I always figured people just hang up the phone on them
post #6 of Old 07-25-2008, 02:46 AM

Telemarkers can work

Telemarketers can definitely set up solid appointments. You just have to make sure that the telemarketer is aware that you want serious appointments so as to not waste your time with customers who are just curious but don't have a real need or desire to change. The problem with telemarketing is that they can rarely get the larger account appointments. It's usually realtors, small doctors offices, small offices, etc. The larger jobs are usually set-up by the salesperson who has time to keep after contacts and can establish some type of relationship over time.
Peter Weiss
post #7 of Old 10-20-2008, 03:04 PM

The biggest thing there is TRAINING. What is your sales guy selling? You do need some way to differentiate yourself from the competition.

If you already gotten into all the usual networking things (BOMA, etc.), and have made your 'marketing' money there giving you the returns to justify doing some 'growing up', then I'd say go for it.

Also, make sure to tie their compensation to performance. This is an obvious one, but so important. Track their appointments, make sure that the expenses you pay for get you value. Make the salary a barely-make-it-by proposition, and be creative on performance based pay.

CREATIVE here is key. Things like paying for health benefits if they meet goals can be priceless (and doesn't have to be expensive). Maybe offer them residuals, tie them to all that business they found you - also making them a good ongoing resource, they'll care that your customers keep feeling happy.

The biggest thing of course is having a selling proposition that gives you short sales cycles. I can offer some suggestions here, depending on how specifically you run your operation (all are different ... construction clean-up vs. office cleaning, specialty services, etc.)

Drop me a line if you need more pointers.
post #8 of Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 AM

It’s really great posts.
post #9 of Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 AM

As with most things in life, with telemarketers it's merely a numbers game. It's ok if X amount of people get pissed off and hang up on your face. You're counting on that the majority of the time. It's the few who don't, who keep the business going.
post #10 of Old 10-10-2014, 02:41 AM

I run online marketing campaigns, telemarketers, and then closer/cleaners
post #11 of Old 10-10-2014, 06:34 AM

Depending on the type of area you are in, a good salesperson will work. Expect to take a huge cut in profit though if they're working on a percentage and not a flat cash fee. I currently work with someone who sets up an initial walk through and meet (me and the potential customer). He takes 50% for 5 months and 20% for the remainder that I keep the contract. I understand this is a HUGE cost but I am a start up so I cant really ask for much. Also the contracts I have gotten so far are worth it. 2 of them average 1.5 hours a week each and they pay around $275 a month. They are also done on the same 2 nights and right across the street from each other.
post #12 of Old 10-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Soft-Touch Roof Cleaning

I've been handing customers about 5 of my "$100 Dropcards with their Invoice and tell them for each of their friends they recommend me to, and I get the Job, I send them a $20 Commission/or a discount for next years services. It's been working great so far.

Come see my Site! www.softtouchroofcleaning.com
post #13 of Old 05-27-2015, 02:56 PM

thank you so much its really helped
post #14 of Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM

Most of our quotes are made to those who have found us online. Next would be those who have been referred by our clients. prospect for "house cleaning" found us during an Online search.
post #15 of Old 06-10-2015, 07:25 AM

I also use a telemarketer and that works well, as for the clients facing part I was very unfamiliar with sales when I started this business (I was much more a back office person) I had to get over it and get on with it, in fact now visiting prospects is probably the part of the job I enjoy most!
post #16 of Old 06-25-2015, 01:13 PM

If you do, hire them at a lower rate and then offer commission. The most important thing is accountability...make sure they are not just saying they are making sales calls, but are in fact, doing it
post #17 of Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Interesting info great stuff.
post #18 of Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 AM

Nice information you have shared.For business you need to do marketing of your business.
post #19 of Old 08-31-2015, 07:13 AM

Now a days telemarketers plays an important role to grow your business.
post #20 of Old 10-30-2015, 10:01 AM

Recently I attanded a sales conference and there was a statement that cold calls don't work anymore. What do you think about it, guys?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode