Customer cancelling - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-18-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Customer cancelling

Hi all,

Unfortunately I service an area where people are cheap. They want something for nothing. I have researched pricing and I don't think I overcharge by any means. The problem I have is with one customer at the moment. She is fairly a new customer but loves my work and says how much she appreciates me etc...and she has cancelled on me 3 times! So instead of bi-weekly I'm cleaning probably every 3 weeks there. I send a text the day before letting them know I'll be there the next day, and that's when I get the text "oh a pipe burst....." or "construction people will be there...." or whatever the excuse is. I am getting really ticked off and I am almost thinking I should tell them the cost will be more, or let them go.
What do you suggest? Would you tell them the price went up or let them go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-18-2015, 05:25 PM

Let them go because they put off a few cleanings? You won't ever make it far doing that. Having customers cancel is part of the business.

My questions are..... do you go in person to give bids? If not, this is probably YOUR fault. Going in person helps a lot.

Do you have a sheet that sets the rules for them? If you go in person you can give it to them at the time of the bid or if you don't go in person you can mail it to them the day they sign up for service so it gets to them HOPEFULLY BEFORE you get there to clean. Or, at the very least give it to them when they open the door for you when you get there to clean. If you don't have a rules sheet, this problem is YOUR fault.

If you go on a bid do you give them a sheet with the prices on it or do you say it verbally and expect them to remember what you say?

If you go to bid do you give them different prices for weekly/bi-weekly/4-weeks? If they sign up on your website do they get different prices for weekly/bi-weekly/4-weeks? Or ever how you do it.... do they get the different prices? If not, it is your fault. And make sure that in your set of rules they know that if they choose weekly and they go over 1 week their prices goes up to the bi-weekly price. If they choose bi-weekly and they go over then their price goes up to the 4-week price. If they choose 4-weeks and they go over then their price goes to the first time in price. If you don't already give them different prices this problem is YOUR fault.

Now with that said.... you must be human about it. Some people are going to go over a few days here and there and sometimes a person will need to be switched from week to week. But the time you enforce this rule is when you have someone that continually wants to go over.

See, you want them to do exactly as you want them to do but as a business owner you can't expect that to happen without rules. People think they can just get some customers, clean their house and it will be smooth sailing.... it don't work that way.

Once you get to be an experienced cleaner, you will see that the ones that say you do good work and appreciate you are the biggest PITA's you will have. When you are a solo operator you need to find the people who are at work when you clean and you never see them. Those are the customers that make you have a great day.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 10-18-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of Old 10-19-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so we have established it's all my fault......I was just asking for suggestions. However, I just spoke with someone who has been in the business for 18 years and she talked to me like I was a human, without saying "it's your fault", and gave me ideas on how to deal with these things so it doesn't continue to happen. I was hoping more house cleaners on here would reply with how they handle these things, but.....oh well. Have a good night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-21-2015, 12:46 AM

Yes, you should start going to bids in person for sure. It does help. We have clients cancel all the time, but we give them the buzz to get them back scheduled. Make enough and they'll rather hire you than hide. Do great work and most will appreciate you. All is just a part of the business. I never throw money away, so I can't let them go, but I do ask them to respect my time.
post #5 of Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagski View Post
Ok, so we have established it's all my fault......I was just asking for suggestions. However, I just spoke with someone who has been in the business for 18 years and she talked to me like I was a human, without saying "it's your fault", and gave me ideas on how to deal with these things so it doesn't continue to happen. I was hoping more house cleaners on here would reply with how they handle these things, but.....oh well. Have a good night.
Just so happens I started October 16, 1998 so since I'm behind a couple of years she is better than me? I wonder if she has made as much profit as me? She could have been in business for 118 years but if she hasn't made as much profit who would care?

Human? That's the problem. You are human. This generation of humans are almost useless.

Go ahead and do it her way.... when you make that first million in profit let me know. Profit = what you pay yourself after everything else is paid. In my case it doesn't include what all was invested. Gotta have that every dollar P & L. I'm sure she will have you in the L more than the P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode