Finding Work When You're Solo - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Finding Work When You're Solo

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find cleaning jobs in NYC as one person. I don't want to start a company or hire other people. It's just me. A friend told me to get business cards and give them to doormen. I did that, but I don't know if the doormen really give them out to the building residents. I have a feeling some are just tossing them in the trash. So far I have a couple of clients, but they call me every two months or so to clean.

I really need to find more clients soon. I'm in college and I'm trying to pay my tuition. When you live in a city like NY, how do you get clients to hire you instead of calling a company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 PM

I don't really know what works there; but have you tried craigslist or a facebook group?
post #3 of Old 03-04-2014, 02:16 PM

The only answer to your question is referrals. #1 tell your current clients that you will give them a free cleaning if they give you a referral. #2 talk to your friends / family / people you know to keep a look out for you! #3 go to a chamber of commerce or BBB meeting and meet people or look on meetup.com for a group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Maid to Shine hit it right on the head. Just keep pushing forward and don't get discouraged.

www.a1cleaningtechnologies.com

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill
post #5 of Old 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM

Giving cards to doorman may be an awful waste of time...I would target the area that you want to work and pay attention to who comes and goes from a few buildings.Where do they stop in for coffee? I'd try to get the card in their hand...
If you can get a few clients in one building it will save you loads of time going from customer to customer...
post #6 of Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Take advantage of free business directories, like BookMyCity. Also consider offering online booking. This may attract client who don't have the time to call or email you for an appointment. You can also try offering deals through your online booking system. For example, offer a package of 10 appointments that is cheaper than purchasing 10 separately. This will turn one-time customers into repeat customers!
post #7 of Old 10-12-2014, 02:03 PM

Soft-Touch Roof Cleaning

Here in Georgia I had some "Drop Cards" made up as $100 bills, and I go on the weekends to hit up community yard sales.. sell some jobs to do for the week by talking to the owners while they're out in the yard being friendly and have a wad of money in their pockets!..lol

Come see my Site! www.softtouchroofcleaning.com
post #8 of Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 PM

Try networking. It won't give you instant results but it might be worthwhile in the long term.
post #9 of Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Get a website up and start marketing on Adwords or Pay Per Click. Also, try CL as said above. If you are not trying to start a company I think Craigslist and Backpage are the way to go.
post #10 of Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 AM

I am starting next week (hopefully) and I plan on printing out around 300 flyers and putting them on houses, plus craigslist, etc.

I just need to get my starting inventory to get rolling.

- Mike
post #11 of Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 AM

I believe having a blog, facebook page and local classifieds listings are the way, we must try these things in this situation to get noticed and attract few local persons. May be our friends word of mouth can get us few clients.
post #12 of Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Girl needed

Hey buddy, sorry to disappoint you, but I really think you will have more success if you find a female to help you.

#1 - The Power of Two people is incredible in the cleaning biz and you can make much greater profits (and do it more quickly) with a partner.

#2 - Most of your clientele will be female customers. Having a guy show up by himself with a mop and broom (especially if it's residential) just isn't going to sit well for many women. You may be the most awesome cleaner in the world, but from my experience, most nice ladies aren't going to give you a chance, if you're by yourself, because the general attitude of society is that men are slobs.

#3 - I'd maybe try to contract with another lady who's already in the biz or maybe is trying to break in. Definitely make sure she's serious though, because you need a dependable and willing partner. Good luck!

My wife and I were extremely successful in this biz. I write about the Power of Two and finding clients in my ebook. You can download a free chapter at cleansweepbookDOTcom (sorry, I can't post links yet). Thanks.
post #13 of Old 01-13-2015, 04:45 PM

Finding work when you're solo in cleaning business

I own a cleaning business. To get work, I run a small cleaning ad block in a local weekly merchant paper. Sometimes it might take weeks to get a call, but 1 client can lead to many more through word of mouth.
post #14 of Old 01-13-2015, 09:37 PM

Wow Joe, I can't believe you said that. I'm a guy and I've started not 1, not 2, not 3 but 7 cleaning businesses in 4 cities. They all made me a lot of money and were very successful and then I sold them. And now in just over 2 weeks I'm starting another one. Although the original plan was to start with my friend who is a female but that didn't work out. I already have a marketing plan that starts February 1st. So I'll get it up and going and then hire team members probably in March. But I'll still go on the bids myself. And then if I like the girls that I hire I'll keep it going and if I don't like them, I'll sell it. lol I only do things that are fun so if they aren't fun... I'm out!

I agree that if a guy looks too 'manly' with a large build and kinda scary.... it won't work. But if a guy is clean cut, not overbearing and can make friends easy with females without it seeming like he is hitting on them it WILL work. You must have a good voice and be good on the phone too. Not sure what happened to MANMAID but he does very well too.

And although he was bidding low, Mike already has a few customers. No female needed.

As for the original post, I do know of a couple of new ways but I'm going to be using them and can't say just yet. Does the public know about them? Yes. But no one is using 1 of them and only a very few are using the other to it's fullest extent.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 01-13-2015 at 09:41 PM.
post #15 of Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
I agree that if a guy looks too 'manly' with a large build and kinda scary.... it won't work. But if a guy is clean cut, not overbearing and can make friends easy with females without it seeming like he is hitting on them it WILL work. You must have a good voice and be good on the phone too.
So I guess only effeminate, skinny guys who connect well with women can clean houses? Oh, well most of those guys are probably gay anyway, so actually they might be pretty good cleaners! LOL I'm glad you succeeded, Sprintcar93, but I still maintain you are the exception and not the rule for guys who try to clean residential houses by themselves.

Visit my website for free information about how I got started making big $$$ in the cleaning business: www.cleansweepbook.com
post #16 of Old 01-27-2015, 01:05 PM

lol No, most of them aren't gay. You just gotta stay clean cut and don't let the fat fall out.

I will be honest..... my biggest problem is keeping my eyes off of boobs. My main goal when I go in to a house is to look them eye to eye. Every time I catch myself looking at their boobs, we don't get the account.
post #17 of Old 01-27-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
lol No, most of them aren't gay. You just gotta stay clean cut and don't let the fat fall out.

I will be honest..... my biggest problem is keeping my eyes off of boobs. My main goal when I go in to a house is to look them eye to eye. Every time I catch myself looking at their boobs, we don't get the account.
LOL!!! Hey, I saw a TV show once about an all-male cleaning service (college dudes) who would clean the ladies' houses naked. That's probably the only reliable way for guys to make BIG BUCKS!!! LOL

Visit my website for free information about how I got started making big $$$ in the cleaning business: www.cleansweepbook.com
post #18 of Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 PM

3 tips for getting cleaning service jobs

Hi there,
I own a residential cleaning business and I currently have 5 employees. Here are my tips for getting jobs:

1) flyers: select a medium to high income neighborhood and distribute the flyers door to door. I will encourage you to do it yourself to save money or simply pay someone else to do it.

2) Establish a relationship with Realtors. Almost everyone who has a house for sale needs to clean it. And almost always those who buy a house will need to clean it before move in. A good relationship with Realtors will send you some good leads

3) If you are really slow and have some cash to spend then you can look into companies like thumbtack.

I hope that helps !
post #19 of Old 02-10-2015, 01:13 AM

How much cash will they need to spend on the sites like Thumbtack... do you have any idea?

Are all of those sites about the same or do you know? I was too scared of them to ever use them.
post #20 of Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Red face Have fun make money!

"....keep it going and if I don't like them, I'll sell it. lol I only do things that are fun so if they aren't fun... I'm out!"

I'm all for this idea. It's gotta be fun or I'm leavin!

Anyway, I'm on thumbtack, not too impressed. Sure shows how little I know about cleaning business, even business in general. Scared to death of success.

Nice to hear there are guys who actually find success with house cleaning, not being gay either. Interesting....suppose a gay fella wants to partner with me, or work for me. Heck, why not! No different than a Lesbian wanting to clean houses with me. Not my thing but whatever dude.

No comment about the booby thing. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode