Getting ready to start out. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Getting ready to start out.

Hey guys,

My fiance and me are just about to get started doing after hours cleaning. Two man team, just me and her, not looking to hire anytime soon, we just want to get out and feel around and make some money.

We are both employed and the bills are payed but neither of us works full time so we have plenty of time to devote, this SHOULD be a fairly stress free situation all things considered. Stress is a big deal for me since im not good at it. My mother who has cleaned for herself and for services for 20 years is going to be our guide at first.

I do have a couple questions.

This will be my fiance and me, when i go down to register the business with the city how will that work? She wont be an employee but a partner. Can you have a 2 man sole proprietorship business?

Insurance, How many of you smaller guys tell your insurance you use your car for work? I have geico and they offer small business insurance so if i go through them of course they will know. How much does an average insurance bill go up if i start getting the correct coverage?

<-----
And what do you think of the name?

Ill be hanging around a bit, this seems like a great forum with good knowledgeable people.

Last edited by NightKlean; 02-22-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 PM

Filing your business downtown is easy (Im assuming you live in USA). You have a couple options. Sole proprietership (one owner only), For profit Corporation (you and her would in effect be "agents or officers" not employees) or LLC (same as corp). You could also open a partnership where both are 50/50 owners. It's up to you. Sole proprietorship is the least complicated - here in Ohio, there are no official "forms" to begin operating - just apply for your EIN on irs.gov website. File your trade name if you want exclusive right to use it, or are planning on opening a business account with a name other than your own. Filing a trade name here in Ohio is 50.00
Any other business form is 150.00. Not bad.
Commercial insurance and commercial auto insurance is a must if you want to be taken seriously (add a bond to that list if you are going to clean houses) . Bonds are 100-190 per year. My insurance agent just got me a commercial policy (liability) for 410 PER YEAR. The commercial auto 300,000/500,000 policy is cheaper than my personal policy on the car was (go figure). Im paying about 40.00 a MONTH. If you are close to Ohio, message me and I'll forward u my agents contact info. He is awesome, and finds the CHEAPEST rates.
Have fun ! Hope some of this helped
post #3 of Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Never bought a seperate commercial auto policy until I started putting company name on side and had employees driving my vehicles. If it's just you two driving to an account or two, don't find it necessary. Only my largest customers ask for it.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it
post #5 of Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Just remember, if you're listed as a 'corporation' you need to operate as a corporation.
Keep meeting minutes, appropriate records, etc.
If you are ever sued, a good attorney will a have field-day with you if you've acted as a corporation in name only and didn't follow proper procedure.

cleaning services mobile alabama
post #6 of Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impeccableinteriors View Post
Filing your business downtown is easy (Im assuming you live in USA). You have a couple options. Sole proprietership (one owner only), For profit Corporation (you and her would in effect be "agents or officers" not employees) or LLC (same as corp). You could also open a partnership where both are 50/50 owners. It's up to you. Sole proprietorship is the least complicated - here in Ohio
What part of Ohio are you located? I'm originally from Canton.

cleaning services mobile alabama
post #7 of Old 03-23-2013, 04:31 PM

just starting

We too, are just starting in a small town(less than 3000) so we will watch this thread patiently...
post #8 of Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 AM

[QUOTE=jahra352;45385]Never bought a seperate commercial auto policy until I started putting company name on side and had employees driving my vehicles. If it's just you two driving to an account or two, don't find it necessary. Only my largest customers ask for it.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services

That is exactly what did for about six months when I was doing part time cleaning to aid my studies. I used to stick my address and phone number on whichever vehicle I cleaned. That worked well in my case.
post #9 of Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Update:

We are just about ready to go. Got cards, and fridge magnets for when we go door to door. Got a couple shirts with our name on them (vistaprint is great!). Got our federal EIN number and small business account at our bank. Got our (partnership) registered with the state and county stuff is taken care of. All that's left is insurance which im doing the next day or two.

I will be happy if we can land one weekly account in the next 3 months.
post #10 of Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Also can someone point me to a site where i can get invoice slips? Maybe with our name on them. Or should i just print them up at home? I have a nice fast printer. If so i need templates.
post #11 of Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM

[quote=Maids a la Mode;45433]What part of Ohio are you located? I'm originally from Canton.

I am in Reynoldsburg, I suburb of Columbus, Ohio
post #12 of Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKlean View Post
Also can someone point me to a site where i can get invoice slips? Maybe with our name on them. Or should i just print them up at home? I have a nice fast printer. If so i need templates.
Hi NightKlean,
I use a webbased software company for all of my business needs; its called "jobber". I cant post the link here for some reason but google "getjobber" and it will take you to their website. You can try the service totally free for 30 days too, no credit card required.

It does everything from invoicing to scheduling, quotes and has an interactive calendar that will send email notifications to employees (if you do hire eventually) to tell them of jobs you have assigned them for. It's about 28.00 a month ... I love it. It is geared for the service industry, and has invoice templates specific to the cleaning industry. It's pretty awesome!

post #13 of Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM

In addition to registering the business and getting insurance, you will also need a business license to operate in your county. Go to you county website for information on fees. Typically you will have to go in person to obtain the license, but you can find out what the cost is on the website.

$54,000 PART-TIME in your own
OFFICE CLEANING BUSINESS
NO INVESTMENT - NO EXPERIENCE
YOU CAN START RIGHT AWAY
post #14 of Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 PM

Congratulations

I would like to extend congrats and good luck to NightKlean (love the name). My husband and I are also starting up a cleaning company in Houston.

Also, thanks to everyone who has replied to their post with information. Helped us as well!
post #15 of Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to stanletmontena Send a message via Skype™ to stanletmontena
Yes its true, there are a couple of information posted on this page that was helpful. So thanks everyone!
post #16 of Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Have one job under our belt. Ill be glad when the awkwardness of being around new people wears off. lol. As of this week cards are out and floating about. My first job wanted some of my cards to pass out. We also have another maybe on cleaning up empty apartments (good easy money)

State, Federal, Local all registered. DBA account open. We are good to go. Would be going a bit sooner but i was down with a 2 month case of bronchitis. (I never get sick). But no rush, all in good time. If we can land 10 regulars by the end of year i will be happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode