Home-based business ... What do I do first? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-21-2016, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
MaB

Exclamation Home-based business ... What do I do first?

Hello, everyone I am hoping I can find some answers here. This might be a silly question, if it is bare with me.

I am wanting to start a residential cleaning business as a sole proprietorship. It'll be a home-based business. I have a business name idea, that I need to get a name search on and also register it. However, before I do that I wanted to know if I should apply for these things first?:

1. Business Phone Number
2. Mailbox rental that comes with an address
I was told listing your actual address is a no-no.

or after getting my name approved and registered? I guess I'm asking this because I didn't want to register anything with my personal info like personal phone number and home address on my business registration forms. I hope I made sense.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-21-2016, 10:10 AM

Re: Home-based business ... What do I do first?

You can always have the initiative of doing it in the first place. You better search for the right time considering it.
post #3 of Old 07-22-2016, 08:49 PM

The truth is you don't need any of that first. Really what you need is a client. It is not against the law to offer a service without first registering a business name, creating a website or get a new phone number.

My advice, start looking for a client! While you are doing that yes, a business name is going to come in handy. Do a trade name search for any business names you are thinking of using and then do a domain name search. It does you no good to pick a name and not be able to create a website using it. Once you settle on a name go ahead and register it with your state. You will also want to apply for a business license at that time and buy the domain name.

I own several business and the listed address is my residence. That is where I started them, it was just how it worked out. I have never once in the 15 years that I have been self employed had an issue. If you are concerned about safety or credibility (this one you really don't need to be) get a P.O. Box or many mailbox companies give you a physical address that do not appear to be a rented box.

Ok, we have a business name, we own the domain, we have a business license and we are registered with our state. Now - Do we get a new phone line? This one is up to you. Do you feel it will be a burden to use your existing number? If so, get a new line, otherwise there really is no reason, just remember to answer your phone with your new business name if you don't recognize the number.

Next, we need to start getting your name out there so you can get some clients! Facebook, website, business cards, business groups, flyers...Start getting your name out there!

Once you get a client, I would recommend opening a second bank account in the company's name. Just for tax purposes it will make your life and your CPA's life easier.

Congratulations on the new business and good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-10-2016, 07:18 PM

I agree with IFSG. You don't have a business UNTIL you have a customer. Good luck.

Heather Fuller~Infinite Legacy Solutions
Education, Action, Support

post #5 of Old 08-15-2016, 02:35 PM

I built my janitorial business to $2ml in revenue, all over FL from the comfort of my own home and a UPS box to receive checks.

All you need is a promoted website and the willingness to get in your car the moment you get a lead.

Generating commercial cleaning leads. www.JanitorialServiceLeads.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode