How did you start? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-01-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Silverdot Send a message via Yahoo to Silverdot
Exclamation How did you start?

As I'm starting out with my new residential cleaning adventure I would like to learn from people who have been there and done that. What's your story. How did you start up? What/how did you do to advertise? What brought you success?

What advice would you give to someone just starting out based on your experiences?

Thanks

Tidy Cleaning Service
Austin, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Silverdot Send a message via Yahoo to Silverdot
Thanks for the encouragement. I wish everyone on this forum was as nice as you!

Tidy Cleaning Service
Austin, TX
post #3 of Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Cricket

I'm new to this site and even newer to the business (haven't cleaned my first roof or siding yet!). Unfortuantely, I'm scheduled to be one of the millions who have lost or will lose their job to corporate downsizing. And as a 48 year old publisher, my chances of getting another job as a publisher in rural northcentral Wisconsin are very slim. However, through my years as a publisher and business manager I've had to research and launch new businesses and initiatives for my company. With that experience I took it upon myself to research business opportunities over the last year or so after work or on weekends. Well, I have my mind and crude business plan set for a roof and siding cleaning company. Looks like low cost entry, there's a need for the service from coast-to-coast, and I won't have to travel all over the country to make a living (I hope). My biggest fear though is to create and place affordabe advertising that works and generates leads that will get me started, and to learn the proper and preferred way to clean roofs and siding.

I wish all of the luck in the world to others out there looking to start their own business because it can be daunting. However, as others have said in this thread, keep the faith and work hard. I will keep others informed of my progress and please, please feel free to contact me with ideas or helpful hints -- I need it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdot View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I wish everyone on this forum was as nice as you!
Don't pat yourself on the back yet. He probably missed the post where you told everyone that you only wanted a job not a business and that you had no intention of becoming a legitimate business.
post #5 of Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofCleaningNashville View Post
Don't pat yourself on the back yet. He probably missed the post where you told everyone that you only wanted a job not a business and that you had no intention of becoming a legitimate business.
LOL Thank You!
post #6 of Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM

residential cleaning is not as fun as you think it would be ! people complain over little stuff, call in switch the hours, schedule they cant make up their mind its just so much more difficult then commercial clients good luck !

cleaning service new york cleaning services new york cleaning service cleaning services
janitorial service new york janitorial services new york janitorial service janitorial services
post #7 of Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Everybody can do cleaning nowadays . Next day we will all be able to create supermarkets chains , or put a man on the moon . I think everybody needs to think well about this , this is a place where professionals get work , amateurs don't . My oppinion , though there are some exceptions

Los Angeles cleaning
Office cleaning Los Angeles
We provide office cleaning and commercial cleaning in Los Angeles
post #8 of Old 04-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissClean View Post
Everybody can do cleaning nowadays . Next day we will all be able to create supermarkets chains , or put a man on the moon . I think everybody needs to think well about this , this is a place where professionals get work , amateurs don't . My oppinion , though there are some exceptions
We need to educate the consumer on the difference in a professional cleaner and a trunk slammer
post #9 of Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM

ooppppsss Sorry Cassandra. I didn't know you was a realtor. lol But as you will see... I just call 'em like I see 'em. lol Referring to another post I made.

As for residential vs commercial... I guess that is another thread I'll start.

I started with $0 and a 1974 Nova that barely made it to the 1st job. We took $35 of the first job and put an ad in the paper. That got calls coming in. I put in many, many hours building my business. I did everything possible to get the word out. Yes, it did work so if you're serious just keep pounding the pavement. If you're not serioius, it won't work. And by serious I mean this... atleast 6 hours a day 5 days a week you will get out and try to drum up business some way some how. Here is what I did... I figured I'd be working 40+ hours a week cleaning. So, I would put in 40+ hours marketing myself. And when I got a few jobs I kept right on doing the same thing. Then when I started cleaning 20 hours a week and marketing 40 hours a week I cut it down to 20 cleaning and 20 hours marketing. Then 30 hours cleaning and 10 hours marketing. Then when the schedule got full I hired someone and we started the whole thing over again until finally all I did was run my business.
post #10 of Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdot View Post
As I'm starting out with my new residential cleaning adventure I would like to learn from people who have been there and done that. What's your story. How did you start up? What/how did you do to advertise? What brought you success?

What advice would you give to someone just starting out based on your experiences?

Thanks

educate yourself on the house cleaning business learn as much as you can. Dont forget to rite a business plan and what you want out of your business. And dream big dont let any one get you down you can do this.
post #11 of Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM

We have to aware people about cleanliness.
post #12 of Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Im dont know what you r getting at ?
post #13 of Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 AM

post #14 of Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCS View Post
post #15 of Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCS View Post
Im dont know what you r getting at ?
If he new he'd tell ya but im figurin he dont know

Just nother spam artist here to post a link and nuttin else
post #16 of Old 08-21-2018, 07:23 AM

STAND OUT FROM THE GROUP! My biggest help was to realize what set me apart from the rest of the cleaning companies. So what does that look like for you? For us it was the product we used. A lot of people want to be chemical free. So we decided to use our own homemade cleaning products. Yes it takes a little more time and effort but we can charge a little more for the quality. (Recipes were mostly found on Pinterest by my wife) We also cut a lot of costs by buying simple things at the Dollar store. And then as far as building clients. We made a "Personal Client Profile" Meaning who we wanted our ideal clients to look like. And then we printed off a ton of business cards "Vistaprint" great very inexpensive usually 500 cards for $10 which is great. Then make it a goal to pass out all those cards in a month. Even if people dont call right away they will put that card in their bag and see it months later and think hey ill call and give it a try. Facebook is a good start. Make a website Wix is a good free place to start. And dont let the small things get to you! Dont give up and you'll do just fine! Good luck and I wish you the best!
post #17 of Old 08-24-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
ooppppsss Sorry Cassandra. I didn't know you was a realtor. lol But as you will see... I just call 'em like I see 'em. lol Referring to another post I made.

As for residential vs commercial... I guess that is another thread I'll start.

I started with $0 and a 1974 Nova that barely made it to the 1st job. We took $35 of the first job and put an ad in the paper. That got calls coming in. I put in many, many hours building my business. I did everything possible to get the word out. Yes, it did work so if you're serious just keep pounding the pavement. If you're not serioius, it won't work. And by serious I mean this... atleast 6 hours a day 5 days a week you will get out and try to drum up business some way some how. Here is what I did... I figured I'd be working 40+ hours a week cleaning. So, I would put in 40+ hours marketing myself. And when I got a few jobs I kept right on doing the same thing. Then when I started cleaning 20 hours a week and marketing 40 hours a week I cut it down to 20 cleaning and 20 hours marketing. Then 30 hours cleaning and 10 hours marketing. Then when the schedule got full I hired someone and we started the whole thing over again until finally all I did was run my business.
Many thanks for your sharing. Have a nice day all.
post #18 of Old 09-24-2018, 04:09 PM

so much advice I did not even know
post #19 of Old 09-24-2018, 05:50 PM

I agree. Make yourself stand out from the crowd of people who do cleaning now. Not all of them are good at their jobs or even CARE about what they do.

Search yourself. What is it that you LIKE about cleaning??? Be very honest here. If you truly do not like cleaning you might not ever be successful at it. If you know what you like about cleaning, you can use that to attract good customers.

Me: I (for some reason) love cleaning floors. And I also have a cat who sheds tremendously. I market my love of cleaning floors and my love of cats - and over time, almost all of my customers have cats (or some other pet). I also, for some reason, enjoy cleaning bathrooms. Many cleaners simply do not get it that bathrooms collect MORE dust than other rooms (due to using paper products, I think). Getting rid of that dust can be tricky.

Be willing to work very hard, and to care about what you get done. If you dont, you wont keep your customers. They will look elsewhere.

I picked up a new customer today. She fired her last house cleaner because that person did not move objects in order to dust! This is kind of basic. In order to dust you have to move stuff. When you clean a floor, you have to move stuff. When you clean a kitchen counter, you have to move stuff! YOu have to be willing to go the extra mile for your customers, if you want to keep them.
post #20 of Old 10-10-2018, 09:09 PM

I started cleaning homes professionally back in 2007 after realizing how much joy it brought me. I then started my own cleaning company called Heavenly Homes Cleaning and have been growing my client base ever since.

House cleaner at Heavenly Homes Cleaning in Guelph, Ontario

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode