How I Got into the Cleaning Business - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-13-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

How I Got into the Cleaning Business

Cleaning houses wasn't what I always wanted to do. What I wanted to do was write books.

I thought that since I had been cleaning the kitchen floor for my mother, I thought I would start a business cleaning kitchen floors. I didn't have a van. I didn't have a truck, or even a car. With a bucket, rags and a bottle of Spin and Span, I got on a city bus to meet my first client.

The truth is. Cleaning kitchen floors wasnít enough to sustain a business. I didnít know that at the time, but I didnít need to. Clients would always ask me if I did other jobs like cleaning windows, ďNo,Ē I would say, ďbut if you show me, Iíll do it.Ē

Well, that response worked. I simply was honest and said no to cleaning I didnít know how to do but was willing to learn.

I soon discovered cleaning walls was the right way to go into the cleaning business, but all I had to do was get in the door of the cleaning business through cleaning kitchen floors.

If you are thinking about going into the cleaning business or any business for that matter, find a way in then work your way up from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Do you know how to get contract work such as pubs, offices and how to prepare contact for this kind of work?
post #3 of Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 PM

I quit my job at Menard's (lumber yard) on a Friday, lost my wallet on Sunday so I had to wait for all my forms of id to come in before I could get a real job (was working at a hotel cleaning rooms for my friends mom until my id came in). About a week later I met who turned out to be my girlfriend at that time (now long time ex-girlfriend). She had cleaned before and wanted to do it again but didn't know how to get customers. I told her customers were the easy part. So I got her the first customer October 16, 1998 and she quit her job about a week later. January 1, 1999 I quit the hotel and started cleaning full time with her. I've never worked for anyone else since.

I had about 75 cents in my pocket and a '74 Nova with the back shocks rusted and was dragging on the tires. I borrowed a bottle of glass cleaner and shower cleaner from the hotel..... and have never looked back. It just goes to show that if I can do it, anyone can do it. Nowadays we take trips where ever we want and when we want to go. My only regret is selling that '74 Nova but I think we will buy another one soon because the lil woman loves Nova's.

If you think it went smooth.... it was FAR.... VERY far from it. It takes hard work and determination but anyone that really wants to do it, can do it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode