How Long? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-14-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

How Long?

If any of you have employees, how long before you hired your first? Business has been going well, but I would like to hire a couple of cleaners to free up my time to run the management side of things. Obviously it would cut into my profit margin, but I feel like I would also be able to grow the business more effectively this way. Has anyone had this dilemma? If so, what did you do and did you make the right decision? What was your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 PM

Are you commercial or residential?
post #3 of Old 06-14-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Mostly residential. I have a store that I clean once a week. I also clean storefront and residential windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 AM

Most people that dabble in all of the above and don't have a plan, fail. Before you move forward in any way you need to decide.... are you a commercial cleaning service? Are you a residential cleaning service? Are you a window cleaner? If you don't go 1 way or the other, you might not fail but you will probably struggle and never really make it off the ground in any of them.

I can only speak for strictly residential. Keep in mind profit will drop.

You can do it one of two ways. If you don't depend on the profit to eat daily then you could add a helper at any time.

If you depend on the profit to eat and have no money in savings or any place else then you need to fill your schedule to the MAX and once you get your schedule as full as you can get it... hire someone. Once you see they are dependable and will stay, fill your schedule again while keeping the employee's schedule full. Now find another worker.... rinse & repeat......

I'd say this is how it's done in any of these businesses but I can only speak for certain in residential. Let us know which business you decide to be in.
post #5 of Old 07-05-2015, 03:37 PM

I have a regular full time job so hiring cleaners was essential for me to run the business well. It depends on how much you money you need to live off of but I think you have to start slow and if you want to grow, you have to move from being a great cleaner yourself to becoming a business owner (letting others clean for you).
post #6 of Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 AM

If you are commercial then definitely you need this.
post #7 of Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM

What about getting clients???

How long does it take to acquire 10-20 clients? 1, 2, 3 --- 6 months? Thank you,
post #8 of Old 09-09-2015, 11:45 PM

Depends, what are you doing to acquire them?
post #9 of Old 09-10-2015, 11:35 PM

For us it has not been hard to find employees who perform pretty well when there is someone to supervise them but the hard part is finding someone who will work well alone.

http://Scrubtechcleaning.com
Professional cleaning and carpet cleaning solutions
post #10 of Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM

In our case the first employees were hired about 3 months after the lunch of the company, but yes the good employees are hard to find.
post #11 of Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Where did you hold your lunch at? What was the main course?
post #12 of Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM

When it comes to employees, I find that when you put a systematic system in place (step by step clear instructions) it works beautifully. I've worked for a couple franchises in my life and found that the most successful ones had systems in place for their people. Even the most basic of tasks break it down
and you will be able to offer your clients the same service every time. google Mr Rooters 14 steps to see an example of what I mean.
post #13 of Old 09-28-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistaclean View Post
When it comes to employees, I find that when you put a systematic system in place (step by step clear instructions) it works beautifully. I've worked for a couple franchises in my life and found that the most successful ones had systems in place for their people. Even the most basic of tasks break it down
and you will be able to offer your clients the same service every time. google Mr Rooters 14 steps to see an example of what I mean.
My girls used to tell me my directions of how to clean were the most detailed they had ever seen. I always explained everything except when to breath.... and some of the, not so smart ones, would be told by me personally when to breath. You think I'm kidding and I wish I was......

By the way... no need to google any of his SPAM. what he said is true but I wouldn't click on that SPAM site if I was you.
post #14 of Old 09-28-2015, 09:11 PM

Dude? really? You want to tell me what the hell I am spamming?
I have NO affiliation with stupid rooter other than used to work for them. I didn't specify any particular site (go anywhere and see what I was talking about...) I honestly try to give advice and an example of how franchises put systems at work in order train people and give consistent customer experiences. I've seen you on this forum bullying other people who genuinely want to give input here. You come off as MR Know-IT-All. Why don't you just chill? I know you're going to respond with some jerk off post and SHOW me how you are the king all of cleaning. SO whatever! Feel free to waste your time like i've seen you do on half of your other posts. Thanks for slamming me for NO reason at all
post #15 of Old 10-30-2015, 09:29 AM

@Wise Cleaning, if you feel that you don't have enough time to serve your clients then you definetely need to hire some good helpers. Don't worry about paying them some part of your profit, this is how the business begins. In the future you'll have more and more clients and your expences will pay off shortly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode