Late Pay Notices / Reminders - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of Old 03-14-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Late Pay Notices / Reminders

What do you do / schedule for Late Pay Reminders?
Example: 5 days late 1st notice / reminder or ?
10 days late 2nd notice / reminder or ?
13 days late / Final Notice--Please pay _______ Invoice Within 2 days to continue service. Service will end by________
Just curious what you are doing in the way of payment reminders.
Thank you Brad BD janitorial
SNC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-19-2018, 11:46 AM

It is frustrating not getting paid by the terms of agreement- and it's up to you to decide how much service you want to float an account with an outstanding balance. Personally, before sending out a termination notice, I would rather make a phone call to Accounts Payable to sort out any past due amounts.
post #3 of Old 03-19-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Cleanexp
Thank you for your reply. What time frame past the Due Date do you consider a payment to be late? 3 days past due? 5 days past due? Brad BD janitorial
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-19-2018, 05:17 PM

If the check isn't there on the due date ... it's late I would have my first notice ready to go into the mail on day 5, second notice on day 10. 2 weeks out, I would make a phone call to AP.
post #5 of Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Cleanexp.
Thank you for your reply. it's good to see how others handle the "late pay" situation. I did get paid, after 2 requests-1 via paypal and 1 via email. Looking back, I can see that once a customer begins to be consistently late which usually ended up with the customer canceling the service agreement while owing a back payment(s).
Brad BD Janitorial
post #6 of Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 AM

Yesterday I had somewhat of the same problem. I was scheduled to clean a condo in a gated community. I have a key to his apartment but no gate card. I use the gate system to call the owner, who then remotely lets me in. Yesterday he didnt answer his phone. I parked, sat and waited a while, then tried again. Still no call. So I parked again and waited even longer. The customer is a psychiatrist and it was possible he had an emergency situation on hand. In the end, I wasted almost an hour waiting, and he never did call. I left and went on to another job. I was annoyed and considered telling him owed me some money for time lost. I decided against it, because he has been a good customer, and I like him.

He called me later that day and asked "Why didnt you clean my apartment?" I told him what happened. That I had called three tim es and not gotten an answer. I reminded him that I do rely on this income (and felt sort of cheap admitting this). He understood and we worked out a slightly better arrangement. I am glad i didnt send him a "late fee" notice.
post #7 of Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 AM

Residential and commercial payments typically are not similar at all. Most commercial accounts are not paid at time if service, providers can wait any where from 2 weeks to 45 days to receive payment on an invoice ... while still providing on going service, sometimes on a daily basis and needing to meet their payroll, insurance payments etc. We are not talking about $100 or an hour of wasted time. These outstanding invoices can be worth several hundred dollars or more. It's imperative that providers have a system in place to collect on outstanding invoices to continue running their business!!
SNC likes this.
post #8 of Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

To follow up on this topic.
The new customer has only paid 2x w/o me having to Nag/Cancel Service. I had to suspend service 2x but did get a check which bounced. So I have stopped service but have 1 full month & 1/2 of this month still owing.
The customer insisted on paying thru payPal.com which is okay w/ me as I have a commercial paypal acct.
Client repeatedly said I was over charging or that the invoice was PAID.
Meet w/client to go over paypal payments on her account... here is the kicker... paypal shows an invoice as PAID BUT you have to look to see if that same invoice Says "Completed" all the client saw on her phone was paid but didn't scroll across the screen to see if it was " Completed '
Another Learning Experience.
Brad BD Janitorial
post #9 of Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Late Pay.. Bounced Check.. Lesson Learned..
So the Late pay Bounced Check Client....... moves out of the location I provided service for. So that biz owed me for over $1300. I did get an email saying she owed me the $$$. So confirms my adage " when they fall behind in the payments that usually means they are going out of biz or planning a move. Brad BD Janitorial
SNC likes this.
post #10 of Old 07-16-2018, 02:13 PM

Aww, BD that really stinks! I hope they end up paying. Right, it goes to show you to trust your 'guts' ... been there, done that. 13+ years business only twice has my gut reaction to a customer been wrong.
post #11 of Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Guess many of us deal with this issue. My every other Tuesday customer cancelled again and for the same dumb reason. She is pet sitting her neighbors dog who supposedly is vicious. I have seen this dog, its a small dog, not some enormous pit bull type. I asked her why she cannot just put the dog on her porch for several hours while I clean. "Oh I cant do that!" was her answer. I had to tell her that if this happens again, I will have to cancel my services with her - it just doesnt make sense to keep her on my schedule if she cancels! She is elderly and simply cannot clean and her home, with her two adorable cats, will be quite grubby again when I return in two weeks! Her daughter hired me, in order to help her mom, and because I am also a nurse and can give her "updates" on Mom's condition.
Frustrating situation. Especially since this past week has been chock full of potential new customers that I turned down because I am already booked!!!
post #12 of Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM
SNC

Great question, and really good answer Cleanexp.

Have never have to deal with late payments on our monthly commercial cleaning accts yet. "knock on wood" lol

But have had a situation with a big hotel cleaning we have done, it was a post construction cleaning, one time cleaning after the remodel. I took a few weeks to get payment from the general contractor. Was not really a big deal just the fact we just started, it was our first big job and had alot of people to pay. The good news is that he was happy and called again for another job just as big.

Thanks for the info on this, will definitely keep in mind if we ever cross that bridge.
post #13 of Old 07-28-2018, 11:37 AM

I had a run of this problem this past week. I am not worried about it - all three people are good customers and will make good on the money they owe me. But it IS annoying. All three of these people apologized - work troubles made them forget to leave my checks. Been there, done that!

I always try to work with customers, and treat them just as I want to be treated. That means there has to be some give and take between us.
post #14 of Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanexp View Post
If the check isn't there on the due date ... it's late I would have my first notice ready to go into the mail on day 5, second notice on day 10. 2 weeks out, I would make a phone call to AP.
Yeah. thank you for your reply
post #15 of Old 08-02-2018, 08:55 AM

Ach?

It's simple.
Upon signing up your new customer,inform them that payment is due on (specific date of the month) and their payment will be automatically deducted from their checking account on or just after that date.
That way,they won't have to delay you from getting paid.
Benefits:
1)It shows them that you are a reputable company if you can retrieve your money directly from their account.(Either automatically or you give them a heads up the day before,which will give them time to come up with an excuse if they can't don't have the money if so begin charging them a fee for late pay).
2)Your customers will save paper checks or the time to call in with CC info to pay for their services.
3)It will save you time from calling them and sending out invoices(as long as the cost is a set price that you both agreed to) when you could be doing something else.

Having this option is a blessing. It makes it easier on you for recieving your payment and for the customer to pay you. Easier for everybody.

I introduced this option to sooooo many small businesses in Atlanta when I worked with a National Merchant Service called Payment Transaction Systems.

The owner was a former bar owner up north who opened up his own merchant service and was very very very customer friendly with his services. The only payment you were guaranteed to pay every month even if you didn't do any business was a 5.00 statement fee..Thats it. He sold machines that even if you had a mobile business,you could take a retail machine to your customers home or business and as long as they had a phone jack,you could retrieve their payment right on the spot.
Mobile Wireless Credit Card Machines in early 2009 were around 699.00. You could by a retail machine from him,NEW,for as little as 299.00 plus tax. And he could program it to fit more than 1 business(if you bought the type of machine that could do it,hair salon,barber shops,anywhere that called for more than 1 owner to use it).

Gregory Cancryn ate,drank,talked,walked,and slept Merchant Services..Everything about the CC payment service he knew and still does.

You should think about it. And don't be afraid to tell your Office Cleaning Customers that it is the way you collect your payments. You want to get paid on time??? This is the way to go.

Last edited by David Topbrass; 08-02-2018 at 09:03 AM.
post #16 of Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 PM

As a customer, if I were even willing to agree to those terms, I would be expecting to negotiate a discount from my service provider for their convenience of being able to pull payments. Not disagreeing that there are benefits to company pushing or agreeing to pull payments ... just think that a vendor has a much better chance of having a business agree to pulled payments when their options are limited... I'm not convinced that smaller locally owned janitorial companies have that kind of clout. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Certainly could be an offered option.
post #17 of Old 08-06-2018, 11:51 PM

I use waveapps for my invoices. It's nice because they offer reoccurring invoicing. Also, your customers can store their credit card info for automatic billing. Makes it easier on everyone.
post #18 of Old 08-09-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Peter, I used Wave.com? when it 1st came out, that is if waveapp is the same as wave.com. Are their invoice forms more customize able? I kinda forgot about them. I know they used a 3rd party to process their credit card payments, is that still true?
Brad BD janitorial
PS... I just PayPal reminder payment due...sent it out
post #19 of Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 PM

I use WaveApps for all my invoicing. It works great and integrates with thousands of different banks.
post #20 of Old 09-13-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Topbrass View Post
It's simple.
Upon signing up your new customer,inform them that payment is due on (specific date of the month) and their payment will be automatically deducted from their checking account on or just after that date.
That way,they won't have to delay you from getting paid.
Benefits:
1)It shows them that you are a reputable company if you can retrieve your money directly from their account.(Either automatically or you give them a heads up the day before,which will give them time to come up with an excuse if they can't don't have the money if so begin charging them a fee for late pay).
2)Your customers will save paper checks or the time to call in with CC info to pay for their services.
3)It will save you time from calling them and sending out invoices(as long as the cost is a set price that you both agreed to) when you could be doing something else.

Having this option is a blessing. It makes it easier on you for recieving your payment and for the customer to pay you. Easier for everybody.

I introduced this option to sooooo many small businesses in Atlanta when I worked with a National Merchant Service called Payment Transaction Systems.

The owner was a former bar owner up north who opened up his own merchant service and was very very very customer friendly with his services. The only payment you were guaranteed to pay every month even if you didn't do any business was a 5.00 statement fee..Thats it. He sold machines that even if you had a mobile business,you could take a retail machine to your customers home or business and as long as they had a phone jack,you could retrieve their payment right on the spot.
Mobile Wireless Credit Card Machines in early 2009 were around 699.00. You could by a retail machine from him,NEW,for as little as 299.00 plus tax. And he could program it to fit more than 1 business(if you bought the type of machine that could do it,hair salon,barber shops,anywhere that called for more than 1 owner to use it).

Gregory Cancryn ate,drank,talked,walked,and slept Merchant Services..Everything about the CC payment service he knew and still does.

You should think about it. And don't be afraid to tell your Office Cleaning Customers that it is the way you collect your payments. You want to get paid on time??? This is the way to go.
Thank you so much for your note. Hope you well. Cheer !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode