Licenses?? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-11-2018, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Licenses??

I am a Maryland resident. I reached out to county clerks office about getting a license and I was told that Service-Only businesses do not require a license. Does this sound right to you guys? I cant find anything for licenses related to cleaning on the state or county website. Even if I don't NEED a license I would like to get one to make my business more reputable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-11-2018, 03:03 PM

If your state does not require a cleaning service to have a license (my state also does not) how to you suppose you are going to obtain a license to make you appear more professional? I know Maryland is not going to give you a fake license. You do not need a license to conduct business in your state, kind of the end of the story.
post #3 of Old 07-13-2018, 03:46 PM

I am sure what you need is a state business license but not a license to do cleaning. Washington state is the same. I have a business license only for my air duct cleaning business. No need for a special permit to do cleaning. You should be good to go.

Eric,
Air Duct Cleaning in Bellingham WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 PM

Hi New!
I grew up in Maryland, the Potomac-Rockville area. Falls Road to be exact. We were not rich as most folks are there now. It was country back then and SO beautiful! I miss that life.

Where in MD are you???

Cannot help you with the license issue but it is always nice to say hello to a fellow Maryland-er.
post #5 of Old 07-13-2018, 04:28 PM

Newatthebiz - I think what you may want is a DBA (doing business as). This would allow you to create a company name and have a bank account in the company name. That way customers can write checks to ABC Cleaning Services instead of your personal name. Check Maryland's Tax & Assesments offices as I think they are the ones responsible for issuing DBA's - not 100% about that but I'm positive County Clerk would not.

Yes, I would agree that having customers issues checks and having a business card with your DBA does lend an air of credibility to your service.
post #6 of Old 07-13-2018, 06:03 PM

I see from your other post that you are a commercial cleaning business. I'm pretty sure you need to charge sales tax on commercial cleans in Maryland ( not so for residential ) so you would need a tax license from your state. Again, tax and assessment office for this information. This is why I encourage any one who is thinking about starting a cleaning business to spend a couple of hundred dollars to seek the advice of a CPA or lawyer. These are the professionals that can help you navigate through these muddy waters and help set up your business correctly- of course I would think that if you applied for a DBA you would be informed of your sales tax requirements- that's why DBA's usually go through that particular state office.
post #7 of Old 07-16-2018, 01:26 PM

perhaps the link below will be helpful regarding a business license in Maryland. Never been there but the brochure looks nice. brad BD Janitorial

https://businessexpress.maryland.gov/
post #8 of Old 07-21-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanexp View Post
Newatthebiz - I think what you may want is a DBA (doing business as). This would allow you to create a company name and have a bank account in the company name. That way customers can write checks to ABC Cleaning Services instead of your personal name. Check Maryland's Tax & Assesments offices as I think they are the ones responsible for issuing DBA's - not 100% about that but I'm positive County Clerk would not.

Yes, I would agree that having customers issues checks and having a business card with your DBA does lend an air of credibility to your service.
Many thanks for your note.
post #9 of Old 07-26-2018, 02:16 PM

DBA is not the answer until you first register your business with the state. The name you register will be your business name. If you want to operate under different names then you can add a DBA. My company is All City Cleaning Services and it is registered with Washington State under that name with the department of revenue. So, my cleaning business does not need a DBA. You should also realize that usually doing business in specific cities requires a city permit as well. You have to check city by city

Julia
All City Cleaning Service
post #10 of Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM

Wrong advise. No state, whatsoever, automatically registers a business unless an article of incorporation is filed with that name. If one is a sole proprietorship and for whatever reason does not want to create a formal business structure but wishes to use a business name (instead of your personal name) then a DBA most certainly will register your business with the state. There is no other way to do it unless you create a formal business structure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode