Making The Transition To Get Out of Cleaning - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Making The Transition To Get Out of Cleaning

Hey all! I'm pretty new to this forum, posted my intro earlier.

Long story short, I'd love to talk about making the transition from solo cleaner to business owner (i.e. hiring employees to do all the labor work). I've been cleaning for over six years by myself, but repetitive injuries to my wrists have forced me to make this transition.

It isn't easy for sure, and it would be great to hear others that have made that transition, and any tips?

Also, I've bid low for many years, and now starting to charge market price and definitely finding it difficult to get leads and customers. I know I have a lot of work to do with SEO, and just throwing up a Craigslist ad anymore like I used to do and filling up my schedule just doesn't cut it (I don't get phone calls anymore strangely enough even though my branding and marketing looks better, at least to myself).

Any tips would be appreciated, or just your stories! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-21-2016, 12:19 PM

Smile

Hi juniper green clean
The easiest way to make the transition from cleaner to owner is to have written processes that you can teach to employees. Hire excellent people and train them to do your processes. Pick a last work date and don't ever clean again.

The second part of your question depends on your company. To get more qualified customers, just put the right message in front of the right customer with a clear call to action.

It works best with a narrow niche. Your niche should solve a problem for your target customer.

You mentioned that you started marketing your brand...I'm guessing green cleaning is your niche...did your message on Craigslist change when you started targeting "green clean" customers? Maybe your target audience just doesn't go on Craigslist to find their cleaners.

Juniper, go back to your foundation and be sure that your core values, vision, mission and goals align with your current internal processes. Re-define your target customers, make sure that you can solve a problem for them and make sure that your company is the expert on solving that problem.

Find your customers where they are...Where do they go online? Where do they go physically? If you know your target customer, then you know where they hang out.

Best of luck. Let us know how everything turns out.
Heather

Heather Fuller~Infinite Legacy Solutions
Education, Action, Support

post #3 of Old 11-07-2016, 07:27 AM

Juniper, I'm still doing all my own cleaning, but obviously want to get to the point where I'm hiring others to take care of my accounts. SEO has been the biggest factor in achieving this. I thought when I got started that word of mouth would carry me a long way, as I do excellent work. I have never left a customer dissatisfied. Any problems are resolved immediately and without complaint. I think the problem is, at the end of the day, people go home and forget all about their spotless work areas and flawless wax jobs.

They have lives outside of what I do.

It was when I started hardcore researching SEO that I got my company's name to the top of Google in my area and started receiving a good deal of calls. I rapidly got to a point where I was looking at hiring or turning down work.

I doubt you'll have this problem, but I wasn't ready for it. I had to back out of moving to the next stage of things and settled back in to doing all the work, collecting all the money and being tired all the time.

If you get your SEO figured out, and you have a good set of keywords that you rank for, definitely have good help ready to go. I know with a big city, it may take more time, but with solid brand marketing and a good listing on Google, you should really see a good increase in calls.

I'll be glad to share some tips/insight, if you're interested.

Jon Lee of Fail-Safe Cleaning Solutions, Office, Commercial Cleaning and Janitorial Services in Amarillo, TX. Target: Perfection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-11-2016, 12:31 AM

I'd also like to add that you should look into choosing a formal business structure. Depending on your jurisdiction, choosing a formal business structure like a corporation or LLC can really shield your own assets from liability. I'm not your lawyer so you should really spend the money to go talk to an attorney about this if you are serious.

Awesome house cleaning!!!
post #5 of Old 01-11-2017, 05:33 PM

The biggest issue most business owners is delegating. You want to do everything because you can assure it will be done right or you can hold yourself responsible. Unfortunately this will lead you frustrated and bitter. People will fill the shoes you give them.

Ultimately you need to make more money because revenue is the life blood of any business. once you generate enough money then think about employees. No idea how much you are making nor is it my business.
post #6 of Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 PM

juniper garden why are you not getting calls??? are you getting traffic? whats your website address?
post #7 of Old 01-12-2017, 01:27 AM

My only advice is make sure whoever you hire is trust worthy.. Nothing worse than finding out your employees arent doing their job and youre still paying them. especially when they push away the business!
post #8 of Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 PM

Make sure that anyone you bring on board is fully ON BOARD with your vision of the company. Also, as far as growing and scaling I think the biggest challenge is being THE go-to cleaning service for your area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode