which is more lucrative - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-06-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

which is more lucrative

Hello everyone. I'm new here and I haven't even started my business yet. Well, I got an LLC, but haven't gotten my hands dirty yet. My question is what do you find to be more lucrative house cleaning, or office buildings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 PM

I don't really know what you are asking.... only because, it depends what you want to do and how you set up your company.

Are you asking which one you can charge more per hour or which one makes more profit?

You can certainly charge EASILY $25-$80+ an hour with residential where in commercial everyone usually talks about charging in the $20-$30 range. I used to do a large commercial account and charged $35 an hour but I was told I was WAY high.... so that's one reason I don't do commercial.

But that doesn't mean YOU will make more profit doing residential. It will depend how you set up your company and how YOU run things.

Let's take for example a house today. If I pay a girl $23 for 1 hour of work to clean a half bath, kitchen and dust & vacuum a living room... this house compares to a small office... that leaves me $47 after I pay her. I charge $70 for this house but if it was an office I wouldn't be able to charge but half that and end up with about $12 after I pay her.

But again, it would depend how YOU run things so it could end up that YOU make more profit from the $12 in commercial than you would from the $47 if you do residential. It would depend on many different things in YOUR company. Personally, I couldn't make it with only $12 an hour 'profit'. And, with commercial you will need more money to start because it is usually net 14 or 30 or 45 or 60 or 90.... and sometimes you never get paid. In residential you get paid that same day.

It really depends what you want to do. There is money to be made in both.
post #3 of Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 AM

It really depends on what kind of cleaning service you would be able to offer. If it is just regular home or office cleaning the price may not vary a lot. But if you can provide some additional office cleaning services such as professional windows cleaning, hard floor cleaning, etc. and offer a combined service, then the situation is quite different.
Cleaners Alperton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-07-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Well, residential seem more profitable from that standpoint. I guess that would be the better choice. Let me ask you guys this. Were any of you nervous about finding clients?
post #5 of Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM

I know of a person that just yesterday they decided to drop residential and have all commercial clients because they made more profit from them. I'm not sure how... but like I said, it's all about how you set up YOUR company.

Yeah, everyone is nervous for their first few customers. I trained a lady to start her own business in February and she was nervous and she wanted to do things this way and that way and not go by what I said (she was nervous about making the customer happy)..... 2 weeks ago she called and was telling me about a customer that did something that I said a customer would do. Last week she called and said the same thing. And Monday she called and said the same thing and said, well, now she see's that I was right about how to do things. The moral of the story.... don't let the customers control YOUR business if you want to be an actual business owner. If you let them control you then just tell them you will work for $10 an hour and let them pay all the things a regular employer pays, because that's exactly what they are if they control you.... your employer.

When you get a call, set up a time to go to their house. If they don't have time for a bid they are not serious about having you clean... probably another cleaner trying to get a price out of you. Which makes no sense but that's for another day... When you go to their house for the bid... as soon as you walk in that door YOU take control of the talking. Ask questions and be friendly to the kids and pets.

There is much, much more to the way I get almost every customer I bid and I will soon have a website for that. Not soon as in a week or 2 but soon as in sometime this year. What I do, took many years to learn and is not an easy thing to just say in 2-3 paragraphs.

By the way, Marcia (the lady I helped start a business in February) has gotten all but 1 bid she has went on. She said the way I showed her to do it helped 100%. Now that her schedule is not empty, she can start taking only good customers and weeding out the bad ones. She doesn't want to have any workers so she can be VERY picky about who her customers are and take only the easy, best paying customers.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 04-07-2015 at 07:17 PM.
post #6 of Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 AM

When choosing what cleaning service you want to offer, I find it best to look at the market of your area.
Are you providing your cleaning services in an area with a lot of businesses and offices, or are there a lot of households in the area. This should be a big determining factor when deciding what cleaning service you will supply.

So to answer your question directly on which one is more lucrative, it all depends on the demographics of where you are located. It also depends on your own personal reasons as well. Would you rather work for businesses or clean homes every single day? Think about which one you would truly prefer, and go that route.
post #7 of Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 AM

I think it's all about how you set up your company. Before starting, you should already have chosen a demographic. From there build your business towards providing services that suits your target market. I think your location also plays a big role in it as well.
post #8 of Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 PM

good advice!

Providing cleaning & maid services in Tampa, Sarasota, Saint Pete, Lakeland, Brandon, Valrico, Lithia, Fishhawk, Poinciana, and Kissimmee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode