Are my prices too high? What are some ways to increase value/justify higher prices? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Are my prices too high? What are some ways to increase value/justify higher prices?

I just opened my own residential cleaning company and after doing research, found out that the price range for cleaning services varied from a low of $50 all the way to well over $300 for house cleaning. Of course, this depends on square footage, services offered, etc.

I base my prices on square footage and for a medium-level clean (not too light, not deep) I charge $149 for 2K-2.5K square feet, $199 for 2.5-3K, $249 for 3-3.5K, $299 for 3.5-4K and so on.

I know that the prices are on the high-end, but I want to know if they're TOO high.... i.e. not likely to get a large customer base. Friends and family who say "too high" tend to have the newest iPhone in their pocket.... that's why I wanted to ask the professionals.

Thanks a lot - I'm a new member, but have been following the forum for quite some time and I know you guys will be a great help. I'll be happy to provide any additional information and answer questions, but I might not be logged back in until tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-10-2015, 10:29 PM

Those prices don't seem too high

Those prices don't seem too high for a quality, licensed, insured & bonded cleaning business. I think they're quite a bit less than what I've seen quoted by established cleaning services here, in Bellingham WA.
post #3 of Old 10-11-2015, 02:24 AM

I'm sure you will soon change your mind about bidding by square footage.

You need to take the phone call.... set up a time.... go to the house and give them a price. This is a way to make the most money.

Or, make a price for a bedroom, a price for a master bedroom, a price for a kitchen, a price for a master bathroom, a price for a master bath, a price for a 1/2 bath.... etc for every room anyone would ever have. And ask what rooms they want cleaned and you have your price. Although this way is not as big of a money maker, potential customers nowadays are (*) wipes and like doing it this way.

The question is.... how are you going to give them a first time in price? That's something you will need to figure out.

As for your prices above.... are they first time in prices? Weekly prices? Bi-weekly prices? Every 4 week prices? How on Earth can Frances d answer without knowing? Impossible.

Notice you didn't see the word monthly? Schedule weekly & bi-weekly accounts and then schedule 3 monthly accounts and see how much of a pain in the (*) you just caused yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Makes sense - thanks a lot to both of you!

SprintCar, I went ahead and followed your advice. I now have a contact form on my website where people can request a quote. Granted, I still want them to call me so I can visit the house, like you said.

In that form, I went ahead and put "number of bedrooms", "number of bathrooms" and "do you have any pets". I don't know where I ever got the nutty idea that square footage was the way to go. Good thing I cut that out immediately.
post #5 of Old 10-13-2015, 11:29 PM

But you didn't clarify about your prices above.....? W BW 4W M?
post #6 of Old 10-18-2015, 01:40 PM

Visiting the house or project that you are pricing is the only way in my opinion to arrive at a fair price for both you and the potential client.
You have to see what you are pricing out,plus you get an idea of how the client lives day to day.

Which can be eye opening!

Square footage pricing is more of a commercial pricing structure for construction clean (certain situations) or large janitorial service contracts.

http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
post #7 of Old 10-18-2015, 07:42 PM

I totally agree Lorster but times are changing and potential customers sometimes don't want us to come over. It depends on the owner of the company.... do you tell them your policy is to come over and if they won't, you don't even get the chance of getting them as a customer or do you have a different type of system set up so you can give them a price without going to their house? There is no wrong answer..... right now. But in years to come I think the old way that we like might not be too successful.

Tags
prices , residential cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode