New to business but not commerical cleaning. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Question New to business but not commerical cleaning.

I have some experience in cleaning commercial accounts with some of the bigger names in my area. I do not have any experience in running a business or being self-employed.

I know a website would help but I want to do this for a few office accounts. I do not want to grow beyond 2 to 3 accounts with this business and I am doing it on the cheap. I want to charge a flat rate a night. I have heard many times from other business owners that word of mouth is the best way to advertise and other forms of advertising is has a poor ROI, if any. Facebook might be good and all, but I can't use them because they believe my name is fake. I also read online that alot of businesses are leaving it because it isn't doing anything for them.

I'm doing this for a little extra income and to learn how running a business works. I'll be doing everything myself. No plan. Just pick up and go for it.

I heard from my current employer that removing gum off commercial plaza sidewalks would pay more then cleaning toilets. Is this true? If so, could someone please help chime in on this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Pick a direction

I think the first thing you need to do is pick one direction and go that way full force. I wouldn't go after commercial accounts until you get your feet wet with something smaller like a house or apartment.

Make sure to do your research. If cleaning gum sounds interesting then check out the price of the equipment needed. Make sure you know what the realistic overhead will be before you get into one thing or another. There is alot of money to be made but at start up you will incur costs you never thought of before.

for example you will have to lay out the cash for the cleaning equipment, cleansers and so on long before anyone pays you to use them.

Make sure you have a bit of money you can do without for a while.

Good Luck
post #3 of Old 07-18-2016, 10:14 PM

I dont know anything about cleaning gum off of sidewalks or anything like that but i can tell you this

like said above commercial cleaning can be difficult and you have to look at it from their perspective unless you personally know the owner or a decision maker of the company they are probably not going to go with you for a commercial account.

They are most likely to choose a more reputable company (one with a website, and other referrals) that is established. your best bet is to just take on a few residential accounts at first hopefully by word of mouth and build up a little bit.

after a while if you still really want a commercial account i would highly recommend getting a website to make yourself seem more legit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 AM

The things that you are doing so far are great. You may have to repeat these activities a few times, because repetition is the name of the game in marketing and commercial clients only buy your service every now and again (not daily, like food). So the “buying cycle” to get new commercial cleaning accounts can be a bit longer than residential ones.
The good news though (as you already know) is that life becomes really easy after you get new commercial cleaning accounts because:
They require more cleaning frequency (sometimes as much as 7 days per week)
They are easier to hire, train people for, and actually clean, than residential clients
They are a bit more reasonable about what to expect for $100 (it’s a “business expense” not an optional luxury)
They are very stable (sometimes lasting years or even decades)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode