Opening a New Shop - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Opening a New Shop

Hey all,

Upon my return from Iraq in another month-ish, i will be finalizing my cleaning busineciss plans for launch.

My questions I have for now for suggestions, advice etc... I have 60 days of military leave upon my return and aim to make the most of it before I return to my day job. This will start off as a one man job with the far flung fantasy but goal of establishing at least 3-4 contracts within 2 months so I can have enough revenue to equal my salary (yeah yeah yeah, I know, a fantasy so soon but it is a goal and I am going to make that goal, I want it)

1- Focus more on Residential v. Commercial? I have a realtor friend who has both business and residential leads to help out. To get your feet wet with revenue, who has found either of the two more easily attainable?

2- How much extra supply should I keep on hand or should I start with what I just need? With the money I saved from my tour, I want to get all those expenses paid up front so at least I have it and not worry about purchasing it a few months down the road (i.e cash crunch emergency, etc..)

3- For the Buffing Machine, any particular brand/model etc? I am looking to purchase a used one but is there anyone in particular to buy and what do the used ones usually cost v. the new ones?

4- Should I purchase my supplies locally or from a online wholesaler? Personally, I prefer locally so I can work with the same company/sales rep etc...

5- When you all went out and acquired your first set of accounts, what made them "go with you"? over another company with a track record? I'm imagining them saying that I don't have referals or company history etc... I am betting on my being able to sell myself to them and have them buy into the foundation I am building my company off of - Integrity and Trust (Marine Corps NCO I know that is a stretch, but other then that, til I am able to build a solid work experience track record, I don't have much except for myself. I have a few ideas but want suggestions from other people in the industry

Feel free to email at [email protected] too.

Zoran
Marine Cleaning Co.
"You want it clean, give it to the Marine"

PS - Watch for the University of Buffalo Bulls Football team to make it in the Top 25 poll voting with Turner Gill as coach and Zach Maynard at QB in 2009/Fall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM
J4K

Strange, I had a response here to this and now it is gone??????
post #3 of Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4K View Post
Strange, I had a response here to this and now it is gone??????
I think it was posted on the other board.

To the OP, welcome home! Thank you for your service.

From the residential perspective, I recommend that you get the commercial side of things up and running before introducing the "other" side of operations. They are two totally different animals.
In other words, keep it simple and don't make it any more difficult than it needs to be. LOL

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-26-2009, 10:35 AM
J4K

Yup, not enough sleep last night lol. Thanks Torrey
post #5 of Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4K View Post
Yup, not enough sleep last night lol. Thanks Torrey

Been there, I know how it is. I've got your back!

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #6 of Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 PM

I think it's better to focus on both: residential and commercial, because you can get more profit. I have approximately 15% of income from commercial cleaning, the rest is residential.
post #7 of Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 AM

As far as keeping things on hand goes I would purchase locally for now. It may be more expensive in the beginning but you will not have the cash outlay until you need it. And you will not fill up your garage. You also get fresher chemicals. for instance I use Sodium Hypochlorite when cleaning roofs but after 4 weeks it really starts to degrade quickly. It costs more to purchase smaller amounts but then I am not throwing away chemical that is beyond it's shelf life.
post #8 of Old 05-07-2009, 06:23 AM
J4K

I would have to disagree. I think resi and commercial are completely different animals. I would focus on one or the other until you get your feet off the ground and then consider going into the other

As far as commercial cleaning chemicals for janitorial. The ones you can purchase online would be just as if not more fresh then ones you buy local. But in most cases with these types of chemicals they all have a very long shelf life.
Local is good if you have a distributor that is willing to go the extra mile and help you out with training and such but often times you can find better deals online.

Good luck
post #9 of Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

thank you. Just that within a cpl of weeks of getting home, I want to be ready to make the cold calls and setting of appointments as I am readying things. Trying to find out what I will need for the most part, including bonding/insurance, business cards, website and such. Just ensuring everything rings out that I at least present my business as Professional and not in it for a quick buck.

Other advice, no matter how outlandish it may sound or seem, is welcomed. The one thing I've learned in combat is and is reinforced into me by myself reminding me is "it's the little things" that needs to be paid attention too. So, feel free to pepper spray me with your own experiences, as I am sure there are lurkers that are new into the business too but don't bother asking.

Even the advice posted can help out the experienced businessman, or even get those back on track who are in a rut, etc...

i.e anyone who has had a good experience with a certain online janitorial supplier, please post up their website and POC, etc..

Thank You,

Z
post #10 of Old 07-07-2009, 04:00 PM

new cleaning business

Thank you for serving our country and Welcome Home! First you need to get with an account or lawyer to get your corporation going. A corporation is to protect you. Since I am a 2 person business we have a C corp. that means we only pay taxes once. That's on our personal side. In the first few years you most likely will not be profitable. Don't let that scare you. That just means by the time you take your deductions including your pay that you'll have no money to "claim" as taxable.
I am not an accountant or lawyer just giving experiance advice. I have opened several corporations for and by myself. As long as you know what type of corporations you want to open you could possibly do it yourself on line with your state division of corporations. God Bless you and be safe, Sir. Stick with your motive and you will make it!! Another thing get some motivation cd's and listen to them. It will make you inspired!
post #11 of Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 AM

Hello.
Thank you for sharing

I'd highly suggest looking into an LLC (limited liability corporation) which will help separate your stuff from biz stuff if you ever get sued or go bankrupt

I'd also highly suggest separating your private life from your shop life as much as humanly possible for a million and a half reasons.
If you like your wife and kids, set biz hours and stick to them. I've often felt like taking a nutshot after realizing that I've missed dinner with my family for the third night in a row.
also separate the $. Pay yourself. stick to it. budget the rest ie x% on tools, x% on advertising, x% on whatever. Keep a separate check book, debit card, and credit cards all in the shop name. Keep a separate shoe box for shop receipts, and hunt up a good tax guy.

Keep in mind that running your own biz is only 20% or so "fun" design time, working on new exciting stuff, and the rest of the time is damn sure work with a capital W. Lots of bill paying, check balancing, phone/email time, routine production work etc etc.

If it were easy, everyone would do it. All of us do as much research as we can and in the end we have to trust our gut and take the best option as we each individually see it. (about 100x a day lol)

I wish you the best of luck with it and hope you do well.

best advice: be smart.
post #12 of Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
Nice guys/gals

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode