Payment from Customer - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-08-2006, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Question Payment from Customer

Hi everyone.

I have just ran into a big problem. I quoted a lady $130.00 to clean her windows and another $70.00 to clean her house. I spent 7 hours at this house on Wensday. She was to leave me a check under to front mat on Thursday. When I got there Thursday, she had left a check for $100.00 and a note. The note stated she was not happy with the job and had a list of items we missed (Dust under the bed, Dust under the dresser, ect.) I spent another 2 hours there yesterday. She still refuses to pay the other $100.00. She said $200.00 was to much to pay for the start up cleaning and I explained to her that she was only paying $70.00 for the cleaning the other $130.00 was for the windows, which she has stated looked great.

Can anyone tell me the best way to handle this situation and get my money or should I just chalk it up to experience and next time get payment up front?

Thanks,
Dawn
Mom's Cleaning Service
Royston Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 AM

File a mechanics lien against the home. Also you can take them to small claims.

As for this not happening again.... Make sure you get something in writing signed outlining the exact scope of work to be completed. In the cleaning biz, it is very important, as everyones definition of "clean" is different. We offfer "general" cleaning or "deep" cleaning. The difference in cost is huge as is the difference in what gets cleaned. I don't know where you are located, so I don't have any idea of your market. An initial cleaning here is priced at $200+ and we only spend a max of 3 hours with 2 staff.

BTW, you will have huge success in court if you can show judge proof of insurance or bonding. This goes a LONG way with judges and plays in your favor in proving that it isn't a frivolous claim.

Just saw that you're in Georgia. What's cost of living like there?

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY

Last edited by FCPWLLC; 09-08-2006 at 06:32 AM. Reason: added question.
post #3 of Old 09-08-2006, 07:02 AM

Make sure you keep that note she wrote to you. It is the closest thing you have to a written contract. This lady is a real piece of s---. She agreed on the price now she thinks she can take advantage of you. Thats wrong. I would call her every single day. Tell of your intent after 30 days of non payment to file a lien against her house and to take her to small claims court. Don't let her push you around, Dawn. By the time I was done with this lady, she would be writing a check for twice as much as she owed me to go away.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Pour some mackeral or tuna juice in between her matresses.

Last edited by All Clean Exteriors; 09-08-2006 at 10:58 AM.
post #5 of Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 AM

The guys have given you some great advice. Make sure that you have a written agreeement prior to starting any job that defines what you will do and what you are to be paid for that service.

Since you in good faith offerd to and were allowed back in to do the work and she still did not pay, you will have success with any small claim court in recovering your money. Follow thru in your collections
post #6 of Old 09-08-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thank you to all! I really appreciate the advice and I will continue to call her and after 30 days if she hasn't paid I will go to the court house and file a lien.

I will definately have an agreement signed before doing work for any new clients. I have been doing this for 2 years and I have never had a complaint from a client and I have never had someone try to stiff me out of my money.

Thanks Again and God Bless,
Dawn
post #7 of Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddisdb View Post
Thank you to all! I really appreciate the advice and I will continue to call her and after 30 days if she hasn't paid I will go to the court house and file a lien.

I will definately have an agreement signed before doing work for any new clients. I have been doing this for 2 years and I have never had a complaint from a client and I have never had someone try to stiff me out of my money.

Thanks Again and God Bless,
Dawn
With the note, you have enough to file in small claims court. I would simply tell her that you did the work as agreed, and expect payment as agreed. I wouldn't mess with filing a lein...she doesn't have to do anything unless she tries to sell or refinance. She can let that sit there for years. If you file in small claims court, she will have to pay, plus pay for court costs, and possibly for your time involved in filing and court. Once she realizes this, she'll likely pay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode