Is it really necessary? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-25-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Is it really necessary?

Is it necessary to digitize documents in a cleaning business? I've actually never thought of doing it, but my uncle was suggesting I do it, cause there's been couple of times, that I've lost some important papers. However, I've read this case study he asked me to http://www.ashconversions.com/casestudies.shtml#telecom and I think its not a bad idea, but since my business is a small one and I have no intentions of expanding it, is it really necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Whether you are large or small your time is valuable. You are going to be able to stream line much of your administrative tasks by converting to the computer. There may be a learning curve, but once you have learned how to effectively use it, the computer will practically be able to organize your business for you. I have been a long time user of Quick Books. I am able to create estimates, do billing and invoices, track receivables, generate regular reports, and much more. Tax time is a breeze for me and my accountant. I am with your uncle, I highly recommend it.
post #3 of Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 PM

I use the scansnap scanner and it works great for me coupled with evernote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-26-2016, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the information
post #5 of Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 PM

I'd say move to electronic but don't bother scanning old documents. You are going to waste a lot of time on items that will rarely be pulled and will quickly move to useless.

Julia,

All City Cleaning Services
post #6 of Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 AM

I agree with everyone else. By going electronic as much as possible, it will help you to say organized and allow you to find things a lot easier. I have found also that most customers like it also.
post #7 of Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 AM

From both a business owner's and a consumer's perspectives, I think digital documents are important for organization and easy access. I'm sure you will be glad to have it, even if you don't plan on expanding.
post #8 of Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 AM

From both a business owner's and a consumer's perspectives, I think digital documents are important for organization and easy access. I'm sure you will be glad to have it, even if you don't plan on expanding.
post #9 of Old 07-19-2016, 03:09 AM

A hierarchy is an organizational system of persons or things where one is ranked above another. In addition to its use as the primary model for organizing large numbers of people, hierarchies have long been recognized as a fundamental dimension of the natural world ever since Aristotle first organized life into a ladder-like arrangement with plants at the bottom, animals in the middle, and humans at the top.
post #10 of Old 07-22-2016, 09:02 PM

I have had bookkeeping clients come to me with the old ledger system and I am just blabbergasted.

Can you run your business that way? Yes, of course. It was done that way for longer than it wasn't but believe it or not it is costing you time.

Now, I don't know what you mean by "expand" when you say you do not intend to expand your company. Do you mean you do not intend to grow anymore than you are? Or just that your not looking to add levels to your company, your not trying to become some big ol' franchise...

If you truly meant you are not trying to increase your revenue, clients, ect. Frankly, and I will hate myself in the morning for saying this, continue on with what your doing. It's working for you, you are not going to be growing as a company, move on. I really hope that is not the case though.

If you do want to grow, you really do need to take a step into the digital world. There are plenty of places to get help, free or otherwise. You don't need some expensive bells and whistle program but you do need a basic accounting software that can ideally download transactions from your banking website and pump out some reports for you.

Best of luck,
Brandy
post #11 of Old 08-09-2016, 12:46 AM

Really informative thread.

post #12 of Old 08-09-2016, 03:04 PM

Neville, I am interested in what you decided to do? How is it going?
post #13 of Old 08-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Do what seems right for your business. Will the benefits outweigh the costs?

Heather Fuller~Infinite Legacy Solutions
Education, Action, Support

post #14 of Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 AM

Going Paperless

Going paperless is so easy nowadays.

All you need is a good scanner (Fujitsu) is a pretty good one around $500 or so, connect it to a (Evernote) account or a (Dropbox) account and you are set with all your documents being scanned and pushed up to the cloud.

Easy access to all your documents on the fly - easily searchable as (Evernote) uses OCR (optical character recognition).

The best thing we have done is scan everything when it comes in, or when you build out an invoice instead of printing it you store it as a PDF file and upload to your Evernote or Dropbox accounts.

Carpet Cleaning
705-482-0370
post #15 of Old 11-04-2016, 04:21 PM

in the long run, yes absolutely.
post #16 of Old 11-15-2016, 01:00 PM

I believe in digital documents. I find it much more efficient and it will help you stay organized. Not saying you can't do it on paper, just make sure it's filed properly.
post #17 of Old 12-16-2016, 07:07 AM

I am a big believer in digital documents. They are so much easier to categorize and retrieve plus you can do it from anywhere you have an internet connection.

You need to make sure you have a good backup with redundancy for when the system crashes - because if you are in business long enough it is only a matter of time until it crashes.
post #18 of Old 12-19-2016, 02:36 PM

I agree with the above commenters (for the most part). It's easier to retrieve, find, locate, send, and store digital documents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode