Refusing new clients - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-29-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Refusing new clients

Good Morning! Not that this has become a problem for me, but I am thinking of having a referral program, where my current clients or non-clients refer someone to me and if they become my regular client, that person gets rewarded....it's all set up, but I got to thinking, what if someone refers a few people to me and for some reason I don't want the job, how do I handle that? Maybe a reason I don't want the job is because it's conflict of interest somehow, or my husband's boss.....etc....what would you say or put as a "disclaimer"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 PM

Once you actually get IN the business, you will probably hate referrals. Most of the time it's newbies or big company owners that are only thinking about money that want a referral. I know the last thing we do is reward someone for a referral. lol You have already answered the question you are about to ask. You are about to ask WHY? For the same reason you stated above..... there is almost always a conflict at one point. And like you said, most of the time you don't want the referral to be a customer to begin with and the only reason you feel like you must give them a chance is because someone referred them to you.

Do you know that sick feeling you get in your stomach when you feel something is about to go wrong? That's the feeling I get when someone mentions the word 'REFERRAL'.
post #3 of Old 01-29-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhhh! Bingo! And I got the "referral" idea from someone else in the cleaning business. What you said makes absolute sense and I am taking it off my site right now! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-30-2015, 01:27 AM

We also have a few other rules... we will not clean any of our neighbors within 2 full blocks. No one from the museum where the lil woman works. None of our friends. No relatives.

If, for example, your husbands boss would ask you to clean for him just say, I thank you very much for the offer but I'd rather not since you are my husband's boss. I don't want to mix the 2 worlds. I had to tell one of the ladies at the museum that when she wanted a house cleaner.
post #5 of Old 01-30-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Good advice thank you! Unfortunately I clean for 2 friends, one of them lives in my neighborhood lol. However, they aren't close friends and it seems to work ok. One of them is my best client; she leaves me magazines to borrow, has given me Thanksgiving and Christmas gifts.

But from here on out I am going to go by the no friends rule. Thank you again
post #6 of Old 02-03-2015, 07:53 PM

I run a very small business and I have a couple of referrals that have worked out great. But I have lost a few due to the fact that they didnt like my price after I met with them haha! And I never have given any discount for client referrals...most clients are happy to do it just to help me out.
post #7 of Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 PM

Friends/Relatives

lol I've cleaned for 3 generations in a family. I accepted referrals from a couple, which has turned into, gosh, 4 new jobs where they all know each other. I cleaned for my parents for several years, also. On the 3 generation thing, they decided I was family, which didn't float well. Fortunately, I was able to eliminate the two younger of the 3 generation, but was able to keep the oldest, who happened to be my very first client when I returned to house cleaning 8 years ago. Its tricky, yes, but can be accomplished, and dropping (firing) clients whenever necessary is...well....necessary. lol...ooops, I had another referral that was the customer from HELL. Tell about that sometime if someone asks. --peace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode