Which Route? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-08-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Which Route?

Which route do you believe is more beneficial? Taking into consideration things like; Start-Up costs, Marketing, Landing Contracts, etc? I'm wanting to focus more on the commercial part of business, but have only done Apartment Turnovers so far, and have heard that in order to truly succeed in the commercial cleaning business start-up capital should be $5k at the least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-09-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekidscleaning View Post
Which route do you believe is more beneficial? Taking into consideration things like; Start-Up costs, Marketing, Landing Contracts, etc? I'm wanting to focus more on the commercial part of business, but have only done Apartment Turnovers so far, and have heard that in order to truly succeed in the commercial cleaning business start-up capital should be $5k at the least
I think you should always focus on equipment first before anything else. That will make jobs a lot easier to do with promising results. First impressions in this industry is very important and for starters, is definitely quite a booster. That said 5k should be just enough.

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Enjoy massive daily discounts on cleaning and office wholesale supplies @
www.northlandwholesale.com

Last edited by PD_Lape; 02-09-2015 at 06:29 AM.
post #3 of Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 PM

I don't want to offend you but..... that is the worst advice I've ever seen about anything. No one in any service business should buy equipment before they have a job to use it on. That's crazy. if you don't think I am right, head on over to daveramsey.com and ask him. Or, ask just about anyone else.

And then back to the original post..... who said that if you have $5k you can succeed in the commercial cleaning business? That's even more crazy than the answer you was given. If that was the case I'd have a successful commercial cleaning business in every city in the world!

No wonder so many people don't succeed and are in debt.

Before you spend a penny, it costs you $0 to pick that phone up and call.... call.... call.... until you can't dial another number.... and then.... call for another 8 hours. And just when you think you want to give up.... call for another week, 8 hours per day every day. Rarely does throwing money at something make it work.

I do practice what I preach..... I had a few jobs before I ever bought my first carpet cleaning machine. I had a few jobs before I ever bought my lawn equipment back in 1995. I had 2 washer & dryer sets sold before I had ever bought any at all. I even had jobs before I borrowed window cleaner to start my first cleaning business. And I never lost a penny on any of those businesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Sprint Car I admire your honesty, while I might not agree with all that you say all of the time I see your genuineness and appreciate that just in itself. I think all too often we get caught up in the stereotypical, and forget that no one thing works for everyone... I think that networking, making calls, face to face encounters terrify most people, but is what separates the successes from the failures. If we want to succeed we have to work, I HAVE TO WORK! Landing contracts and finding business are always the most challenging parts of the business, not because clients are not our there, more of us business owners being prideful, nervous, and timid to a fault.
post #5 of Old 02-10-2015, 09:53 PM

I'll tell ya.... I have really bad anxiety. I've been doing bids since the 90's and on the drive over I still kinda freak out. And when I go up to ring the bell I still get butterflies and all nervous..... but as soon as they open the door I forget about it and act...... 'normal'

I know I have to do it so I have no choice.

I realize there is always more than 1 way to make things work but just because a person has $5k or $100k doesn't mean a commercial cleaning business will work. If you have $5k and just want to waste it.... hire someone to do the calling for you. Pay them $7.25 an hour and give them a little bonus.... maybe $20 for every walk through they get you and for every account you land from their call give them $100. Or something like that.... work it out so it fits your business.

Some love me and some hate me. The people that hate me usually like doing things the hard way. This isn't really a 'friends' board. This message board is about making money. I have plenty of friends.... I need more money so that's why I tell it like it is!

As for agreeing with me.... I don't agree with me all the time either but I usually have to give in to myself because it makes money no matter if I like it or not. I know my bank account agrees with me.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 02-10-2015 at 09:57 PM.
post #6 of Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 PM

I have enjoyed your comments Sprintcar as you tell it like it is!! I would have to agree that if you have a limited budget to get your commercial cleaning business off the ground, I would spend some on professional letterhead, brochure, business cards and proposal covers. Otherwise, you need to go out and prove to yourself that you can solicit new customers, close the sale, clean effectively to meet the proposal requirements, invoice, collect your receivables, pay taxes, make payroll, etc. and find time for more selling. The cost of telemarketing, salespeople and other advertising is outside of your budget when starting on a shoestring.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode