Starting a commercial cleaning business what do i need to do first? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Starting a commercial cleaning business what do i need to do first?

I live in Michigan what is required to make it legal? It will be me and my boyfriend running the business we have all our supplies besides the chemicals. What licenses etc. Are required? But mostly how do we advertise and how do you do bids? ( determing what to charge the customer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 PM

It's odd but I know a lot of people who have commercial cleaning businesses in Michigan. Watch out though cuz they will try to make you join their association that costs money to join. Don't say you wasn't warned.

I currently know a lot of business people and I don't know of 1 of them that ever searched the internet for a cleaner. So to me.... and keep in mind some people never agree with me.... I'd never spend money on a website that wouldn't really be beneficial to my business... but far be it for me.....

I do know how some of the big players in the commercial game does it. For you it would work this way.... both of you write down on paper a plan. What days of the week will you work? How many hours per day will you work?

Now that you have the first step down.... get on the phone and call for the exact same amount of hours you will work each day. Set up appointments to do a bid. The first few days you may have 0 between the both of you. But by the time the 2nd or 3rd week rolls around you will be able to change up what you say and get used to doing it. Once you get the hang of it you should both be getting atleast 1-3 bids per day.

Or, you could do it the easy way...... just joking..... there is no easy way
post #3 of Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

How do you even begin to determine the what to charge someone to clean their business?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 PM

I'm not the person to give an answer because my prices would never get them to say YES.

I once got a lady fired from her management job because I bid $140 per night on a job that took 3 hours to clean per night. We cleaned it for a year and then the guy that owned the business found out and flipped out on her. He payed $55 per cleaning after we left.

Hopefully Pete shows up soon and can answer these commercial questions.

Why did you choose commercial cleaning as your business of choice?
post #5 of Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

I currently clean a nursing home through a business. I have experiance with schools, restaurants and health clinics from working in a family members business i really enjoy it! Its so relaxing to me.
post #6 of Old 04-23-2015, 11:41 PM

So you are just trying to find enough work to make money without employees? Maybe 6-8 hours of work a day?
post #7 of Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Yes enough work for 2 people around 8 hours a day. I will hire additional help in the future if need for part time work
post #8 of Old 04-24-2015, 01:59 PM

Just realize that if you have anyone work for you it turns in to a totally different game. And keep in mind that if you plan on MAYBE hiring someone in the future to bid appropriately NOW. If you bid low now and hire someone later it will turn in to a living hell for you.
post #9 of Old 04-24-2015, 03:37 PM

Getting Started

Call City Hall in the towns/cities you plan to serve. Ask each city hall what licenses, insurance etc you need to work in that town. Look at a directory of your State's offices and call the one you think could help you to set up or start your business.
Training, most people have " their speed " at which they clean, some are more detailed, some are slower or faster. It seems to me you need to know how long it takes you to Clean A Desk Top, A Kitchen/Breakroom, Restroom, Trash & Recycle, Dry & Wet Mop a floor. I would ask anybody you know if you could clean their office for a week or a month, keep track of the time it takes YOU to clean each room, area. Armed with this knowledge now you can make better informed bids.
Consider calling non-profits, lots of political campaign offices opening, somebody has to clean them. Call on small offices, some larger janitorial companies have a minimums such as they only take clients with 3000 sq ft on up.
Lastly, there are lots of training videos on line, Betco has 1 and they are free. Brad bdjanitorial.com
post #10 of Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Bidding process:

Estimate how many hours it will take to clean the office, building, or house for which you are bidding your cleaning services.

Determine the going labour rate in the area where you operate.

Add payroll costs.

Add estimated expenses including cleaning materials as well as overheads like phone, insurance, office supplies, insurance, advertising, etc.

Add your profit margin.
post #11 of Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 AM

I agree with first getting licensed.
post #12 of Old 11-04-2016, 04:24 PM

Business license, determination, skillset, and you're good
post #13 of Old 11-11-2016, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotWine89 View Post
I agree with first getting licensed.
incorporation/llc as appropriate. I'm not your lawyer so you should at least talk to one to see if it's right for you.

Awesome house cleaning!!!
post #14 of Old 11-21-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zo's Glass Guys View Post
Business license, determination, skillset, and you're good
agreed
post #15 of Old 11-21-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexR View Post
incorporation/llc as appropriate. I'm not your lawyer so you should at least talk to one to see if it's right for you.
I think to get workmans comp for your employees you cant be a sole prop. You have to be an llc or corporation.
post #16 of Old 11-21-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Just realize that if you have anyone work for you it turns in to a totally different game. And keep in mind that if you plan on MAYBE hiring someone in the future to bid appropriately NOW. If you bid low now and hire someone later it will turn in to a living hell for you.
True very good advice.
post #17 of Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 AM

This is a huge step in a highly competitive industry. Most new companies will try to gain business by undercutting price - if this is your strategy it will make success very difficult. You need to research your competition. Act like a potential client, call and interview them, ask for some references and interview the references. Find out what they like and what they don't like. But more than that find out why they like or dislike something. This is the gold to distinguishing your business. When you understand the underlying emotion as to why someone likes or dislikes something you start to get the material to create a powerful marketing message. People make decisions based on emotion and then they attach the logic to justify the decision. If you don't tap into it and convey the right message then the main emotion they will feel is fear of paying too much and they will justify by saying all companies are the same. You need to be different in your message and service so you can charge a fair price that allows you to make a reasonable profit.
post #18 of Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Hi eme9200,

Congratulations for your new start. Let me tell you, cleaning business is a very intriguing business. Initially it takes a lot of efforts to understand and stand the business, but over the time, soon you will be in the line of competitors. But before all that ground work is the most important one to go forward.
1. Research like anything - Research and make a list of all the competitors in the same field of your business. It's pretty time taking, but that is from where you start shaping your thoughts and ideas.
2. During the research itself you would get an idea about the bid price for the services.
3. Advertising - Take short steps. Start with offline marketing. Let your fellow mates, neighbors, etc., know about your business. That is from your referral contacts begin. Once you reach a decent margin, in no time begin with online marketing. Nowadays there are lot of sources from where you can learn how to advertise your company/website. It's the easiest way to learn things. Social media is the easiest way to reach and let people know about your company. Start with social media marketing. Then, you may dive deep into details of digital marketing strategies.

Trust me, in no time you will soon on a good pace. It's fun to run a cleaning business (like I do for Mr. Homecare), as it's a personal business.
All the very best!

Last edited by Sharon Alex; 02-01-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #19 of Old 02-23-2017, 01:56 AM

Always provide eco friendly quality cleaning services. The Office cleaning service should be good and professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode