Starting new cleaning business...what to charge? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Starting new cleaning business...what to charge?

Hello, all. I've been lurking here for a while now and finally decided to sign up to try and get some help with this.

I've been seriously thinking about starting my own residential/small office cleaning business for several years now. I've been doing a lot of research on the business recently, and I'm at the point in my life that I think it's a good time to go for it. I think that I'd do well in this line of work, because I'm very meticulous about how I clean (my wife would say I'm borderline OCD).

Anyway, the one thing that I'm having a lot of trouble with is coming up with what to charge. I read one place to only charge by the hour, but then another place says to charge by the house.

It seems to me that it would be better to charge by the house, but how do I go about deciding what to charge for this house vs that house? Should each thing I do be itemized, lump all services per room and charge per room, etc?

I really want to make this work, and I think that's why it's so hard for me to decide how to charge. BTW, this is in the Topeka, Kansas area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Hi Dan,

I can see that you just started your own business. My company can actually help you get clients to sign up for your business. Call me at 310-929-9875.
post #3 of Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM

And always remember folks... anyone that can get you customers will let you pay for the customer AFTER they get you the customer if they believe in themself. And in that case... I'll let you get me all the customers you can get Steve. You get the customers and I can handle the rest. How do we go about signing up Steve? Just give you a call?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Oh sorry, I just saw your ad in the sales section. Call Keller, Texas and get me all the bids you can get. Then let me know where to send the check. No joke... I'll pay you for all the bids you can get me. I realize it is up to me to close the deal. But I pay for the bids after you get them, not before.
post #5 of Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM

Sure! And by the way, we are paying our agents to call for your company. That is why we are charging a set up fee before we start your campaign. We have helped almost 500 clients using the same payment option and I think that wouldn't be a problem if you are really serious of getting clients for your business. You can research our company's background because we are included in this year's top 50 telemarketing companies.
post #6 of Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM

It might be worth calling a few local competitors and asking for bids in order to get an idea of their price points and estimating criteria. That will at least give you somewhere to start.

David Murphy | E-Marketing Coordinator
ServiceMaster Commercial Cleaning Services
ServiceMaster 24 Hour
post #7 of Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 AM

Yeah, but if a person is smart they would never pay ahead of time for your service. Why must your service be paid for ahead of time? There are so many people that will say they will get others customers and then when they don't do it... oh well... as long as they got their money they are happy... next... Let's take for example the commercial cleaners on this site... they do their job and do it damn good and then get paid 15-30-60-90 days AFTER the job is done. They sometimes pay out of pocket for their employees, supplies for the job and a number of other things. So if you really believe in your service.... give it away and you will make much more money. Yeah, I know... I make no sense... when in the real world, I make all the sense. But it doesn't benefit YOU!
post #8 of Old 07-16-2012, 01:13 AM

Why are you trying to argue on how we handle our billing options for our company? Doesn't it answer the question that we also pay our agents to call for your company. I guess when you say that you only pay after someone can give you the leads you are asking, that only applies to freelancers who doesn't have a company. Why argue if you can just do a research of our company if you are really interested to use our service? I mean, I am just trying to let you know guys that you get some help using our telemarketing service. I am not forcing you to sign up, why argue? Don't judge someone if you don't even know the whole idea of telemarketing. You don't even know how we handle our clients and the satisfaction we give them, so why do you bother to argue and try to make us look bad to other people?
post #9 of Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 AM

Are we the only company who charges a set up fee before starting your campaign? We also pay for our resources, agents and tools that we are using. We are not getting this for free so that's why we are charging our clients a set-up fee before we can start calling for their company. You are hiring a telemarketer, this isn't just hiring someone to clean your house. One more thing, we give guarantees to our clients, we don't just get their money without giving them assurance that they cannot make the most out of what they paid us.
post #10 of Old 07-19-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan208 View Post
Hello, all. I've been lurking here for a while now and finally decided to sign up to try and get some help with this.

I've been seriously thinking about starting my own residential/small office cleaning business for several years now. I've been doing a lot of research on the business recently, and I'm at the point in my life that I think it's a good time to go for it. I think that I'd do well in this line of work, because I'm very meticulous about how I clean (my wife would say I'm borderline OCD).

Anyway, the one thing that I'm having a lot of trouble with is coming up with what to charge. I read one place to only charge by the hour, but then another place says to charge by the house.

It seems to me that it would be better to charge by the house, but how do I go about deciding what to charge for this house vs that house? Should each thing I do be itemized, lump all services per room and charge per room, etc?

I really want to make this work, and I think that's why it's so hard for me to decide how to charge. BTW, this is in the Topeka, Kansas area. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan
Hi Dan,

It depends on how you want to structure your cleaning business. Pricing structure is just 1 of the many decisions you will have to make as a cleaning company owner, and that is how you define your company and distinguish yourself from the others.

My company generally charges by the hour, but we also offer customized cleaning programs, which are priced per property.

GreenAir Cleaning Systems, Incorporated

www.progreencleaningservices.com
post #11 of Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM

Dan,

Once you start cleaning houses, you will figure very quickly how long it takes to clean a house. You can estimate that you can do a move-out cleaning at around 300 sq.ft per hour, regular cleaning at around 450-500 sq.ft. per hour and so on. Once you figure that out, multiply your service hours by your price per hour. That should give you some direction.

Olena
Clean4Real - Jacksonville Cleaning Services
post #12 of Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM

I would suggest looking at the industry and remaining competitive. You will want to look at the following parts of the market:

- Current pricing of small and large companies
- Types of services you offer (this changes how long it takes to clean, etc)
- Residential area that you are located in / market value in that area
- Target market (e.g. commercial or residential properties)

Then you can add in the square feet, price per hour, etc.

Bidvest Prestige Group
post #13 of Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookeh9 View Post
I would suggest looking at the industry and remaining competitive. You will want to look at the following parts of the market:

- Current pricing of small and large companies
- Types of services you offer (this changes how long it takes to clean, etc)
- Residential area that you are located in / market value in that area
- Target market (e.g. commercial or residential properties)

Then you can add in the square feet, price per hour, etc.

Bidvest Prestige Group

I do hear this same thing all the time but since 1998 I couldn't tell you if I charge more or less or the same as the 'market' charges. I've never let the 'market' run my business for me. I know what I want/need to charge and that is what I charge. Experience is all you need. Get a few accounts and you will learn how long it takes to clean. At first you might make $1 an hour but it's not what you make, it's about what you learn from the experience.

We once had 2 houses in the same neighborhood... I remember them well because the one guy had 2 dogs that I remember. Anyway... one of the houses we charged $125 every other week and the other house we charged $195 every other week. SAME exact house but one was harder to clean than the other. So square feet never really matters. Today I cleaned a 1700sf house and it took 3 hours. Thursday I clean a house in the same neighborhood 1850sf and it takes 1 hour 15 minutes.
post #14 of Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM

I would call around to see what your competitors are charging to decide on what price to charge. A lot of times I always stay in between the low baller and the high overhead franchisers. This has always seemed to work for me.

Of course even though I am in between these two, I am quite a bit higher than the low baller. They are usually fly by nights and don't stick around long, because they have no real clue how to really price jobs, and then it bites them in the but later on.

Start Your Own Green Cleaning Business
http://www.CleaningServiceBiz.com
post #15 of Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 AM

You have to invest about 50 thousand dollar to start this business.
post #16 of Old 09-02-2012, 02:50 AM

And another thing , I think you must need some experienced worker for make it done,.
post #17 of Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 AM

nice post
post #18 of Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM

I think you have to factor in, how often the house is used, how much stuff, pets, kids, frequency, distance, do they want extras, how are they to work for, (extra charge for pias),
hard or easy to clean, all in addition to the square feet.
post #19 of Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM

The problem that occurs on charging by house basis is that you cannot fix a price on the basis of just examining the house, because of this the recommendation problem may occur. If estimation goes wrong then you would be putting efforts for doing unpaid work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode