Trying to get commercial janitorial service off the ground? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Upstatepressure
  • 1 Post By bdjanitorial
  • 1 Post By kitpatrick
  • 1 Post By kitpatrick

post #1 of Old 08-12-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Trying to get commercial janitorial service off the ground?

Hey guys, new to the forum so heres a little info about myself. I currently own/operate a commercial/residential power washing company for going on 3 years now. Where im from the winters get snowy so we dont do much washing those 4-5 months. I am at the point where it is time to expand the business to what i would like to see as a commercial janitorial service with year round contracts so i have a few questions on getting started.

As i said before im not new to the whole sales life, but this is a little different than what im used to. What do you find is the best way to get contracts? In our field, majority of our business is residential so i think our forms of advertising differ quite a bit as we usually only see our customers once every 2 or so years as opposed to doing work for them every week.

I assume targeting places like dealerships, restaurants, banks etc will be the best places to start out. Any other ideas?

Best places to order supplies?

How do you figure out your pricing? Is it hourly? by the service?

I appreciate all the help in advance and look forward to starting this journey in a new field!
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-14-2017, 11:13 PM

Thanks for joining this forum. Really you are doing a great work. I am also working for commercial janitorial company in Southern California and we want to ensure that all of our clients achieve a clean, safe and healthy living space at an affordable price. For any entrepreneurs or owners, hiring a professional janitorial service to handle the cleaning needs of your business that will ensure things are done in the right manner. Keep sharing.

Momentum Janitorial Inc.
Premium provider of commercial janitorial services
Southern California
post #3 of Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM

Upstate.. great question. I do have 1 hourly customer and hope to move them to a contract cleaning soon. The other accounts are all by contract.
Bidding there are some free Cleaning Times Parish Supply has 1 as do other sites if you just google Cleaning Times.
Getting Customers, most of my customers come from website & some from ThumbTack.com and 2 from postcards and 2 from a Local Franchise.
Supplies, I get all my supplies from Amazon Business.com I print out the invoices and change the $$$ amounts to reflect a 10-15% markup and yes I tell my customers that I charge a small % markup.
but will be cheaper than most local suppliers.
Bidding, I still make bidding boo boos, ask lots of questions, are they looking for a complete thorough cleaning? or just trash recycle and vacuuming and restrooms?
Brad BD Janitorial.
TCCleaning likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-02-2017, 03:37 PM

We found the easiest way to figure a bid is to get specs from your prospective customer, and then literally walk through the office and take notes as to how long each task will take. You won't be right on for the first few, but after a while you'll be able to walk into a place and get a good idea of the cleaning times. For large buildings we also always bring another person with us on the walk-through (used to be our best employee and now it's our manager) to get more eyes on the situation, we both take notes, and then we sit down at a Denny's and work it out. This also looks good to your prospect.
TCCleaning likes this.
post #5 of Old 09-02-2017, 03:54 PM

p.s. I'd also work up a list of the basic supplies you need, bring it in to your local janitorial supply houses and get prices. We started a janitorial supply company in addition to our cleaning business and that way we get about 40% off the retail prices. About $25 for a basic business license and it will save you tons of money. We buy our supplies through our supply company and then re-sell it to our cleaning business with a 1% markup.

44-gallon trashcan with casters.

mop bucket, wringer, mop handle and 3-4 mopheads to start, microfiber mops are great.

commercial vacuum, we like the Sanitaires, although in the beginning you can probably use your household vac. Sanitaires never die, we use the SC679J model, and for a hose vac you can't beat the Dysons. We don't use backpack vacs as they make your back hurt after 30 minutes!

get prices on 44-gallon liners and small liners for deskside trashcans, paper towels, TP, hand soap and toilet seat covers and then you can re-sell those supplies to your customers.

check out the Cleanfix Parrot floor scrubber for the best floor cleaning machine there is in our opinion, takes the place of a van-full of floor equipment and folds down so it fits in the trunk of a car.

window washing bucket, wash handle and squeegee.

This is just the beginning, of course, you'll also want sponges, cleaning rags, spray bottles, etc.

Most office buildings will have a janitor closet where you can store your equipment.
TCCleaning likes this.
post #6 of Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 PM

p.s. -- banks, restaurants and dealerships are horrible places to clean because they cater to the public, and the public don't give a rip as to how clean or messy they are. Start with smaller office buildings in the beginning and work your way up. At least office workers have some semblance of a code of conduct!
post #7 of Old 09-22-2017, 01:26 PM

This is all really great information! Great Question Upstatepressure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode