Wanting to start a vacant property cleaning business. Need advice! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-17-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Wanting to start a vacant property cleaning business. Need advice!

Hello all, I've been kicking around the idea of starting my own business and have recently thought about the idea of cleaning vacant apartments, duplexes, single family homes, and possibly foreclosures. I just have no clue where to start!

As far as the apartments and duplexes go, that should be somewhat easy to market. I would figure I would contact local property managers and apartment mangers, etc. As far as foreclosures and vacant single family homes go, who would I contact for that? HUD? Fannie Mae? Local realtors?

My biggest concern is pricing. I have no idea how much I'd charge for such services! I'd like to do a flat rate instead of hourly though. Also what services do I offer? I'd imagine vacuuming, wiping down surfaces, picking up trash, mopping, cleaning sinks, toilets, shower/tub, clean mirrors and windows..... what else though?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 PM

For vacant apartments they usually have a set price they pay. There are a few every now and then that pay just a tad more but basically just imagine it will take 4 hours to clean x $15 = $60 per apartment. If you choose to work for that small amount you might as well work for McDonald's.... soon everyone will be making $15 an hour there if the poor people get their way and screw up the economy.

As for vacant houses from a realtor just drop by their office and leave a flyer or talk to them if possible. Good luck on getting paid. Some people on here have but more people that I've talked to haven't been paid than have.

Banks & repos...... click the link below.
http://www.cleaningtalk.com/f19/bank...ou-want-18714/

Like we've talked about before on here, if there was any money at all in vacant houses/apartments, we would already have all the contracts to clean them. But as it is.... those of us who know better..... RUUUUN.......
post #3 of Old 08-17-2015, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
For vacant apartments they usually have a set price they pay. There are a few every now and then that pay just a tad more but basically just imagine it will take 4 hours to clean x $15 = $60 per apartment. If you choose to work for that small amount you might as well work for McDonald's.... soon everyone will be making $15 an hour there if the poor people get their way and screw up the economy.

As for vacant houses from a realtor just drop by their office and leave a flyer or talk to them if possible. Good luck on getting paid. Some people on here have but more people that I've talked to haven't been paid than have.

Like we've talked about before on here, if there was any money at all in vacant houses/apartments, we would already have all the contracts to clean them. But as it is.... those of us who know better..... RUUUUN.......
I didn't know move in/out cleanouts were determined by the property/apartment manager. That doesn't seem right....

Man if that is true, that is very discouraging to hear!

Last edited by Clevelander; 08-17-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM

Did you mean you want to clean for tenants wanting to move out and wanting to get their deposit back? You could drive around on the 1st of the month and who ever is moving out you could go ask if you can clean today when they are done moving. Apartments probably aren't going to let you market through them for a couple of reasons.... the main reason is.... because if the apartment is left dirty they can charge the tenant $350 and pay YOU $60 for a profit of $290.

You could also drive around to houses and stop and ask if you could clean after they move out.

Sure seems like a lot of wasted gas, hassle and hard/sometimes dirty work when you could just get regular, easy bi-weekly cleans.
post #5 of Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Local realtors for the foreclosures,but you may spend loads of time trying to find the right realtor.
There is usually one realtor in the company that handles the foreclosures for different banks.
Often times it is handled by the bank directly and then passed to the realtor after the property is repaired somewhat,cleaned and ready to market,which means the realtor is left out of the prep loop.
All you can do is get on the phone and start asking questions-when you see a property listed as a foreclosure that's for sale.Call right away and ask,if the realtor handled the hiring or the bank.See if they will give you contact info for the bank if it was not them or see if they will give you a try for pricing on the next house.
http://selz.co/1CK1Nua
post #6 of Old 08-19-2015, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Can you guys give me some advice on pricing? Is it best to price per room, sq. footage, or by the hour? Depending on how to price, what is a decent rate?

Also, any idea on a good price for carpet cleaning?

Thanks!
post #7 of Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 AM

As for the pricing, I found a good post on this forum.
Here’s the correct process:

1. Estimate how many hours it will take to clean the office, building, or house for which you are bidding your cleaning services.

2. Determine the going labour rate in the area where you operate.

3. Add payroll costs.

4. Add estimated expenses including cleaning materials as well as overheads like phone, insurance, office supplies, insurance, advertising, etc.

5. Add your profit margin.

You are well advised to estimate your labour costs at the going sub-contractor level. You then avoid having to increase your labour rate if and when you start hiring labour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode