What the Actaul Fu^%? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-23-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

What the Actaul Fu^%?

HI everyone! Been reading all of your posts for a while now and finally decided it is high time to reach out for some help!

I started a small cleaning business about 4 years ago, recently became incorporated, got myself a spot for an office/shop in a prime location and have about 6 girls on my "team" as of today.

My biggest challenge, that I cannot seem to climb my way out of right now is finding and retaining good help all the while making money myself.

I really am about to throw my hands up. I am stuck. I have too many clients to do myself and not enough clients to cover payroll for the girls I have who cannot seem to finish all of the clients that are on the schedule for any given week.

After payroll the business is making just enough to pay its bills and for supplies and what ever is left over I pay myself which is much less than it should be considering all of the money blood sweat in tears I put into this every day!

When I started this business over four years ago it was based on the idea that house cleaners should get paid a fair wage for their hard work.

Iíve worked hard to be able to pay my girls higher than industry standards, also offering them as many perks ass possible to show they are appreciated. They are needed and they are respected for their hard work but it never seems to be enough.

I give a girl a raise she steals from me and stabs me in the back.
I give a girl some gas money and she bitches to her team mate that it isnít enough.
I purchase more supplies and the girls just use more of them and demand more expensive supplies.
I supply water and snacks, coffee and even hugs but the girls want to stop for lunch on company time.
They complain when there isnt enough girls on their team so
I hire more help to lower their work load and they complain that they have to pick up the slack for the new girls and they lose hours???

What these girls donít realize is that the more money they waste, the less they will be paid. Because if the business is paying out too much in payroll and supplies all the while they are not making it to jobs or making huge mistakes thereby losing customers, the business will fail. We will all be out of the job and I will have nothing at all to offer. All of our hard work for nothing!
What a nightmare right?

I am the boss, I run this business but we are ALL on the same team.
We are very fortunate to have each other.

We are not alone cleaning these houses and we only work until 2-3 sometimes 4 the latest. What matters more to them? How many girls are working beside them or how many hours they are getting paid for? That is why they are working right? To get paid?
But I cant pay them any more than I am if they are not making progress.

What is happening??!!

Please, any advice to get me out of this rut would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 PM

What town are you in?

I think this might be an easy fix.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 11-24-2015 at 12:07 AM.
post #3 of Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I tried to PM you but Im too new to do that. What could possibly be an easy fix? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM

I mean...sounds like you're getting walked all over. I have similar problems with staffing but I winced reading your post. Sounds like you give them everything they ask for...I'm sorry but YOU are the owner YOU know best, YOU set the rules, YOU know the best tools and equipment to use, and YOU call the shots. You aren't there to make their lives peachy keen, you're there to provide them with stable employment. Everything else is a bonus given out of the kindness of your heart and should be appreciated. End of!
post #5 of Old 11-24-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm afraid it's just in my nature to be kind and giving. However to be honest I feel as if I'm not so accommodating that I won't be able to attract and retain good employees. It's really a vicious cycle.
post #6 of Old 11-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Email me at [email protected]

By the way.... in your post you didn't mention 1 'good' employee.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 11-24-2015 at 02:34 PM.
post #7 of Old 11-24-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I have 3 girls right now who I would consider good employees, but I need more.
post #8 of Old 12-19-2016, 01:58 PM

Sorry to be the debbie downer but it sounds like 1.) they don't respect you and 2.) you need to grow a pair and run the business as the boss not the friend. They are your employees, you pay the bills. If they don't like the supplies you buy or the way you operate your business they can find a job elsewhere. If you let every little complaint throw you into a tailspin to make it work or make them happy you are not going to succeed. Let me put that differently. IF YOU DO NOT STOP BEING A FRIEND AND START BEING A MANAGER YOUR BUSINESS WILL FAIL!

Have a coming to Jesus meeting with them. Tell them there will be some changes. No more lunch breaks on company time. No more complaints about products. It is what it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode