What is your hiring process? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

What is your hiring process?

I am having the toughest time. I make a disclaimer on every job ad I do, that you must have transportation, must be available, reliable and you do a test cleaning that's NOT paid and you must be willing to go to different areas of the city.

And behold, I get "my babysitter is in the hospital", "my car is broke down" "gas is too high" "that's too far" "do I get paid for my test cleaning" "will I get paid Friday for working this week" "I like to clean"/yet they will NOT get on their hands and knees.

I'm having sooooo much trouble finding decent workers. When they do a test cleaning it's not paid, and it's about 2-3 hours. Basically this is an interview. Then they are at minimum wage for 30 days, which is not very much but I was getting tired of paying people decent wages for half--- work.

Signed,

I know this is a hard business, however I'm disappointed in the work ethic *even when they were paid better* of many people who claim to SO badly need a job only to
"get stuck in the driveway because the garbage truck is blocking it." LOL

Any advice would do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 AM

Welcome to my world. Make yourself at home, get yourself a Dr. Pepper... I'd have someone get you something to drink but all the people who really want a job seem to be on the Ellen DeGeneres plan. In case you haven't heard of that plan here is how it works. They sit on their ass all day and watch Ellen.
post #3 of Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM

I'm in the process of starting my cleaning business this summer so take my tip with a grain of salt. I received a good tip from a friend in Atlanta who has been running a successful cleaning business for over 10 years. What he does is contact local temp agencies for cleaning/janitorial workers, some specialize in those type of workers. There might not be any temp agency like that in your area but it's worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 AM

Every person in the world is different so it couldn't hurt to give it a try. But my experience with temp agencies is not good. No lie.... I did find some great workers at the mission but I'd never go back to a temp agency. I've never known any cleaning company to have good luck with them. Not to mention, everyone that has ever worked for me either has English as thier 1st language or they spoke english very well. Try your local church. Even if you don't go to church, they always have someone that is looking for a job so stop in and I bet they would be glad to help. I had a buddy that used to get workers from Russia to come here on visa's or something.... they would stay like 5 years and go back and then come again. He loved them. Hey, if the lazy ass American's of all colors won't work, import someone that will... as long as they speak English as well as you do.
post #5 of Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the tips Sprint, I'm trying to keep my options open when it comes to hiring workers. And its always good to hear from someone that is experienced in this field
post #6 of Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 PM

Sprintcar, you don't look Egyptian, but maybe its my imagination.
post #7 of Old 05-01-2011, 11:38 AM

hiring

Hiring the right people is crucial. You usually can't turn a lazy worker into a good worker. That being said, when you pay someone minimum wage, make them drive their own vehicle, make them pay for their own gas, and then make them clean for free (even one time) what kind of workers are you hoping to get. When you pay bananas, you tend to get monkeys.

If you are going the cheap route, I suggest that you interview a lot of people and create a large list of names and phone numbers. That way, you can just go down the list if people can't make it that day - backups. I, however, believe that if you compensate people fairly then you will have a much greater chance of finding good workers.

You need to sift through a lot of people first though. Put an ad on craigslist for hiring a housekeeper. List it for $10 an hour. Interview 20 people. Pick the best 2 or 3 (or however number you need)

I know I might get some flack for this, but I don't think it is ethical to pay people as low as some housecleaning companies pay. If you make people pay for their own transportation to the jobs, they are making less than minimum wage. Fast food workers would make more money per day, plus they don't have to get down on their hands and knees.

Gig Harbor Window Cleaning & Janitorial

Last edited by april1979; 05-01-2011 at 11:50 AM.
post #8 of Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by april1979 View Post
You need to sift through a lot of people first though. Put an ad on craigslist for hiring a housekeeper. List it for $10 an hour. Interview 20 people. Pick the best 2 or 3 (or however number you need)

I know I might get some flack for this, but I don't think it is ethical to pay people as low as some housecleaning companies pay. If you make people pay for their own transportation to the jobs, they are making less than minimum wage. Fast food workers would make more money per day, plus they don't have to get down on their hands and knees.
Great post! I am hiring my first two employees this week and I'm starting pay @ $10/hr, and I'm paying for gas between houses. I interviewed one person today and am meeting with another tomorrow. I found them via an ad on Craigslist.

I'm also planning a bonus program with incentives. I know how hard house cleaning is, and I want to do as much as I can to make sure my employees are more than fairly compensated. Plus, I want to motivate them to work hard and make our clients happy.
post #9 of Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM

I give an ad in newspaper that I'm looking for a couple (man and woman) to clean the school in specified area and leave the phone number. When they call me I always tell them that the job is difficult, that there is a lot of mopping, vacuuming, restrooms, that it's not some easy office cleaning job and that I already fired 3 couples because they were not doing a good job. A lot of lazy people don't really want to talk to me after hearing that and that's fine. People who want to talk after hearing my words are the ones I'm looking for. I tell them how much I pay per hour of work and how many hours will be needed on daily basis. I ask where they live. If they live too far I tell them that I'm looking for someone local. If they live in 10-30 minutes driving area I continue to talk. I usually need a couple (man and a woman) and I prefer to have a husband and wife working for me. I ask people if they are husband and wife (they tend to be more stable) or not. When I talk to them on the phone I usually identify what age group they are in. I prefer people in 40-60, they are usually stable and need a stable job. Young people are not that stable in my experience and they are always looking for easier job, however I have some young people working for me too. If I hear that people have a house, that's good, it means they have bills and probably a mortgage to pay and they need stable income. I try to prequalify people on the phone as much as possible, therefore I don't waste my time later. Very often from 30 calls I agree to meet only with 3 people. Then I show them the building, talk to them in person and make a decision. Usually these people do a very good job. My advise is - prequalify on the phone as much as possible.
post #10 of Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 PM

I'll tell you how I pay... I let the lazy, no good cleaners make the low pay and the hard working good cleaners earn good pay.

I pay $7.25 base pay.

If you are at work on time in the morning you get $ .50 extra for every hour worked that day. Be late and you don't get the bonus pay.

If the customer has no complaint for you, you earn an extra $1.00 an hour for that house.

If I have no complaint for you on that house you make an extra $1.50 per hour on that house. When we check the house we have a sheet we fill out.

For a total of $10.25 per hour.

With that said, every house is checked every day. And if every house isn't checked, we know who does a good job and who doesn't. Just because the cleaner misses something doesn't mean that counts against them. I realize they might miss a spot on a mirror or even miss a whole piece of furniture every now and then... we are all human so we know everything isn't going to be perfect. They get warned ONCE before they don't get the bonus pay.

I know no one else but me pays this way so I never even bring it up. It does get complicated when figuring up the pay but we have a great system that makes it really easy.

And while we're talking about pay.... if you think of making someone a sub contractor, know what a sub is before you decide you want to do it. Just because YOU say your cleaner is a sub, doesn't mean the IRS says the cleaner is a sub and you could get screwed really easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode