When is a Business NOT a Real Business? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Cat

When is a Business NOT a Real Business?

I visited a forum yesterday where there was discussion going on about whether or not to take children into homes while cleaning. Of course that caught my attention.

The woman who initiated the conversation mentioned that while she technically could leave her six year old daughter at home with her other two children while she goes out to clean homes, the child would miss her so she would rather take the child along. She added that she would have enough activities available to keep the child busy for the two hours it would take her to clean the home. And she wanted to know whether or not she should tell the home owners that she was taking her child into their homes while they were not there. THEN, she insinuated that if something happened, no problem because she could just use the home owner's insurance policy to cover any damage.

In response, a second woman chimed in to indicate that she cleans homes for members of her church and that she takes her nine year old son along. She said that the church members were aware that her son had to be taken with her and that he sits quietly on a couch and reads books for the two hours she is there (yeah, right!)

Neither woman had any type of liability insurance or bonding insurance. I doubt that either had registered their business name, if there is a name. I'm pretty certain that they only accept cash. And therefore, I don't see them as a real, legitimate cleaning service. I simply view them as "scabs" who go into homes to clean for a dirt cheap price and who are unprofessional and basically give the cleaning business a bad name.

The excuse one of the women gave for taking her son with her was that the boy's father had walked out when she was pregnant and she needs the extra money (cleaning is her on-the-side job).

What do you all think about people like those two women who give the outward appearance of having a real business but who obviously have no business at all?

Write the vision and make it plain: http://maidservicecoaching.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Look at the ad I just saw. It highlights perfectly what is going on out there with scab services:

http://raleigh.kijiji.com/c-Jobs-Cle...QAdIdZ33577650

Write the vision and make it plain: http://maidservicecoaching.wordpress.com/
post #3 of Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 PM

I see and this all the time, woman especially who sell themselves short. Never realizing their potential if only they would take the time to properly set up and operate their businesses.

The thing that frosts my oatie is when customers try to compare the scabs (trunk slammers, illegals, fly by nights) with my company.......... boy oh boy do they get an ear full then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM

They are non-players. Self employed hobbyists that own a grind, not a business. Ask these women if they worked for McDonalds if they think the McManager would be okay with having their children present during shift.

They are not in your league, Cat. It is very frustrating though, I know.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #5 of Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
They are non-players. Self employed hobbyists that own a grind, not a business. Ask these women if they worked for McDonalds if they think the McManager would be okay with having their children present during shift.

They are not in your league, Cat. It is very frustrating though, I know.
I took my kids to McDonald's one day to eat and play in the kiddie area, and there was this one unsupervised child there who's mom was working at McDonald's. I couldn't believe she brought her child and was even allowed to do it. It was incredible. So, I guess some "McManagers" (love that) just want you at the job.
post #6 of Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
I don't worry about what everyone else does. I just focus on what I do and make sure I do it well.

Why should we be bothered by people who are not in our league? That would be like a pro football player being shattered over the fact there are people playing with a pigskin in back alley's and calling themselves "football players".

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #7 of Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
I don't worry about what everyone else does. I just focus on what I do and make sure I do it well.

Why should we be bothered by people who are not in our league? That would be like a pro football player being shattered over the fact there are people playing with a pigskin in back alley's and calling themselves "football players".
Could not have said it better myself!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode