3 Quick Tips To Clean Your Wine Glasses - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

3 Quick Tips To Clean Your Wine Glasses

Hi, All

Here are 3 Quick Tips To Clean Your Wine Glasses:

1. Don’t use the dishwasher. There are two very good reasons not to put your wine glasses in the dishwasher along with your dinner plates. One is that your average dishwasher in incredible harsh on delicate glassware. Your dishwasher is designed to remove baked on muck from your cooking dishes and this is way too rough. At best you’ll chip a few glasses, at worst you’ll break them. The second reason is that you’re smearing your glasses with all your dinner left-overs. Regardless of the wash and rinse cycles you’re still trying to clean your wine glasses in the same water used to wash greasy dinner plates.
2. If you must use a dishwasher, don’t use the rinse aid. Most dishwashers use a ‘rinse aid’. The role of the rinse aid is to help dry the dishes. Water on plates and cutlery or any polished surface will form a ‘bead’. So when it dries, it leaves the outline of the ‘bead’ on the plate. The role of rinse-aid is to break down the surface tension in the water so it runs off the plates and doesn’t ‘bead’ on them. So rinse-aid is especially wine glass unfriendly as it leaves a coat of ‘detergent’ on the glass.
3. Wash them by hand in hot water. The best possible clean is to rinse your glasses in hot water and let them dry. 83 degrees Celsius is the magic number that will sterilise glassware. Most commercial glass washers use this temperature and above. And note I said commercial glass washers, not domestic dishwashers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the great tips.
post #3 of Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM

never knew that was what rinse aid did, as it's so expensive perhaps it's one i can leave off the shopping list. who needs "dry" plates immediately any way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 PM

I use very hot water, a little bit of washing-up liquid, and a wonderful "brush" of which I will try to find a photo. I dry them "standing up" - my DH was sceptical for a while, but it works.
Another option, taught to me by a cleaning lady who also bussed at a hotel restaurant, was to use the steam of a kettle, and then dry with a linen towel.
post #5 of Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 AM

1 .. Let them dry naturally and don't wipe them. While your glasses are still hot from the rinse, put them upside down and let them air dry. Don't wipe them. Even the cleanest tea towel leaves some fibres on the glass. All this impacts the flavours you get in your wines.
2 .. Use as little detergent as possible. If you're really germ obsessed and have to use detergent then please use as little as possible. Remove lipstick on the glass by giving them a scrub before rinsing. Use as little detergent as possible and then rinse your glasses several times. Most commercial glass washers use a tiny amount of detergent due to health regulations. But if you can avoid it altogether then you'll get a much better result.
3 .. Getting rid of the white grey film. This will affect your crystal glasses more than your wine tasters. The solution is easy. Just soak them in a weak vinegar solution for an hour or two. The vinegar (acetic acid) eats away the organic (wine) build up. After a while you'll have sparkling clean glasses again.
post #6 of Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 AM

nice information ... clean-up the within bottom of a wine glass isn't simple. And except you have tiny hands that can wiggle inside, you may want one of Wine Glass Cleaning Brushes
post #7 of Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mold removal tampa View Post
nice information ... clean-up the within bottom of a wine glass isn't simple. And except you have tiny hands that can wiggle inside, you may want one of Wine Glass Cleaning Brushes
aha I always wondered if they existed!

http://www.stagcleaningservices.co.uk

Local Cleaning, Domestic and Commercial, Hitchin Hertfordshire...UK
post #8 of Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagman View Post
aha I always wondered if they existed!
you can get them in robert dyas for pennies iirc
post #9 of Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadam View Post
you can get them in robert dyas for pennies iirc
Cheers mate.

http://www.stagcleaningservices.co.uk

Local Cleaning, Domestic and Commercial, Hitchin Hertfordshire...UK
post #10 of Old 04-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Other ways to clean your wine glasses:

- hand wash then dry immediately with a linen cloth.
- machine wash - clean with water combined with vinegar the dry with a linen cloth.
post #11 of Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 AM

These are great tips to clean wine glasses, i generaly use hot water to wash the glass. This is wuite simple and very quick method which is used for wine glass cleaning. Thanks for the nice tips.

carpet cleaning uk

Last edited by seomark696; 05-24-2010 at 01:12 AM.

Tags
cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode