Best materials to clean balcony/patio on a budget - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-16-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Question Best materials to clean balcony/patio on a budget

Hi all, first time poster here, hope you are all well?

I'm looking to clean up the patio/balcony on my rented flat on a budget. There are planter beds on the balcony that look to have leaked residue that has gone down the wall. There's also the grime and debris from the winter on the tiles.

Looking to clear this up for a minimum of cost, am thinking some kind of solution and also a wooden brush but obviously trying to cut down on work.

Am in the UK, so if anyone has any suggestions for local materials that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-16-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

You can see the type of material that the mossy substance is on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (101.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 AM

This will be a pretty grubby job with a lot of effort. But it can be done. I am often asked to clean someone's patio if I am also cleaning their house. Here is what I do:
sweep with a broom and dispose of the debris in a trash bag, which I keep near me. IF there is a hose and water source, the rest would be easy. But usually that isnt available.
The stains - use a stiff brush. Use ANY all purpose cleaner and mix it with water. I prefer hydrogen peroxide products because they clean well and whiten like bleach but are safe to use. I would NOT use ordinary bleach! Could damage something. Scrub the stains and then let it all sit there for maybe an hour. Then, use a bucket with water to rinse it all off.

You could rent a pressure washer to do this, but I have read that this could be dangerous for someone who doesnt know that equipment well. An ordinary hose with an adjustable nozzle works almost as well.

Last, I would clean the glass by the patio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 AM

That's not a hard job. Get a pump up sprayer from Walmart. Go to the gardening section and find the pool cleaning section. Get liquid pool chlorine. mix the chlorine with water 50/50 in the pump up sprayer. Also, mix in a little bit of dish soap about 5 oz. Pre-wet the surface and pre-wet any plants. Spray cleaning mix onto organic stains. Let the mix sit for about 3 minutes and wash off. If this does not work add more pool cleaner to your mix so the mixer is about 75/50.

Let me know how it goes.
post #5 of Old 06-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missannienow View Post
This will be a pretty grubby job with a lot of effort. But it can be done. I am often asked to clean someone's patio if I am also cleaning their house. Here is what I do:
sweep with a broom and dispose of the debris in a trash bag, which I keep near me. IF there is a hose and water source, the rest would be easy. But usually that isnt available.
The stains - use a stiff brush. Use ANY all purpose cleaner and mix it with water. I prefer hydrogen peroxide products because they clean well and whiten like bleach but are safe to use. I would NOT use ordinary bleach! Could damage something. Scrub the stains and then let it all sit there for maybe an hour. Then, use a bucket with water to rinse it all off.

You could rent a pressure washer to do this, but I have read that this could be dangerous for someone who doesnt know that equipment well. An ordinary hose with an adjustable nozzle works almost as well.

Last, I would clean the glass by the patio.
Yeah, you need chemicals to clean this for sure.
post #6 of Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Why this weird fascination with bleach!!!! Bleach can HURT you, your skin, your lungs, your clothing, any plants, and it can damage many tile floors, and other things on patios!

There are other ways to get this sort of patio clean again and none of those ways use bleach. You need to think about your HEALTH whenever you try to clean something grubby. Is the end result worth the risk you take??? I do not think so. Speaking as someone who cleans every day to earn a living, I noticed quickly that using bleach was starting to make my skin feel more dry and even cracked. The tips of my fingers grew painful and cracked. Ouch! And this happened even though I was wearing gloves!!!! I stopped using bleach and other harsh stinky chemicals and everything got a lot better. Plus, I did a much better job.
post #7 of Old 06-19-2018, 04:13 AM

How does bleach hurt your lungs?
post #8 of Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 AM

If you are breathing in a lot of bleach fumes(or any other caustic sort of liquid, powder, etc) it can damage the tissues and cells of the lungs.
If you get it on your skin, it can give you a chemical burn. And that is basically what happens when you breathe this stuff in,
post #9 of Old 07-03-2018, 10:47 PM

One way we would suggest you try is oxygen bleach. There are a number of powdered oxygen bleach products on the market, and chances are you already have one in your home. Oxygen bleach, unlike Clorox bleach, combines natural soda ash or natural borax and hydrogen peroxide to form a powdered substance. When this substance dissolves in water, oxygen is released to work on tough stains and ground-in dirt. Oxygen bleaches are completely environmentally friendly and they won't compromise the color of your wood deck's stain.

Common oxygen bleach products include Oxiclean, Oxy-Boost, Ajax, Wolman Deck and Siding Brightener and Clorox Oxy Magic. To use the cleaner on your deck, simply mix the powder with the recommended amount of warm water, and work in sections across your deck, wetting the deck, allowing the product to sink in, then scrubbing the section with a long-handled brush before rinsing the area clean.

If you don't have an oxygen bleach product readily on hand, check your laundry detergent to see if it's made with sodium percarbonate or sodium perborate. These are the active ingredients in oxygen bleach products, and you can simply mix your laundry detergent with warm water to clean your deck in a similar fashion.
post #10 of Old 07-08-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Hi all, thanks a lot for your responses here, and sorry for the late response, I have been very busy with work!

I was definitely thinking some kind of pressurised washer with a mixture as given above. I will let you know the results!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode