Can Mold Cause Depression? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Can Mold Cause Depression?

6,000 interviews of European adults, conducted by the World Health Organization, and found that those adults who live in damp or moldy homes were more likely to report symptoms of depression. As well as a variety of other health conditions, such as asthma, coughing, fatigue, nausea, headaches, etc.

While it is commonly known that mold can cause a variety of health problems, the connection between mold & depression is still widely debated.

The importance of this study, is not that mold may cause depression, itís the fact that a clean household will lead to a healthier lifestyle. It is important to keep the air in your house clean from allergens such as mold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 PM

While mold may not be the primary cause of depression, mold can cause illnesses that can trigger depression is persons who are prone. You make an excellent point in saying that a clean house makes for a healthier home
post #3 of Old 12-18-2014, 05:31 AM

Good points! A clean home definitely makes a person feel better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM

My theory on it is that typically if people allow mold to grow in there home, then they obviously have issues which lead them to let it keep growing.
Nothing to do with science, but having a bad personality may have lead to the mold growing. If that makes any sense,
post #5 of Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM

I've heard it can cause a wide variety of symptoms especially respiratory
post #6 of Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM

Stuff is horrible and almost like a silent killer in a sense as many times you don't even know it's there.
post #7 of Old 09-10-2016, 04:04 AM

I agree. Any dirty environment can actually give a negative result to our health. Well, even when you see those dirt you may feel like you are getting sick right. What more if you see a mold. Very unhealthy and disgusting.
post #8 of Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 AM

I remember reading an article on that once.There was a recent study that stated that dirt can make you happy.Maybe that is why people who do gardening a lot seem more relaxed and why we feel happy and less stressed when we step outside.There is a certain bacteria in the soil called Mycobacterium vaccae that can trigger the release of seratonin, which can elevate your mood and decrease anxiety.
post #9 of Old 09-23-2016, 12:14 AM

Sounds like a good question for google
post #10 of Old 09-23-2016, 03:01 AM

Re: Can Mold Cause Depression?

I haven't hear about this yet but yes a dirty place can make any one in depression or it causes illness.
post #11 of Old 11-15-2016, 04:50 PM

I've wondered this. We bought a home in Maryland USA about three months ago and I assumed my fiance was just feeling buyers remorse. Turns out there was mold in the walls. We had it removed and things seems to be going well.
post #12 of Old 11-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Respiratory for sure
post #13 of Old 01-05-2017, 01:57 AM

Re: Can Mold Cause Depression?

Well, it has indirect effect to cleaners though. The frustration you get when you go them on your house.
post #14 of Old 03-02-2017, 07:01 AM

One of the major reasons of mold taking place in house is indoor humidity levels. There are ways to reduce humidity levels at home in natural ways. Take those measures and keep yourself, your family and your home a healthier one.

Ways to reduce humidity in home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode