Carpet Cleaning for Allergies - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Carpet Cleaning for Allergies

If you have allergies, and have carpet, then you may need a regular scheduled cleaning at least every 6 months. When hiring a professional cleaning company, make sure the ask if they hot water extract aka steam clean. They need to be able to reach a temperature at least 180 degrees at the carpet, in order to sanitize by killing dust mites and bacteria. After a good carpet cleaning, be sure to maintain your carpets with regular vacuuming, with a bagged hepa filter vacuum cleaner. These vacuum cleaners might be a little inconvenient because of the bag, but it is a true hepa filter and therefore does not release the VOC (volatile organic compounds) into the air, that could inflame your allergies. One last point about carpet cleaning for allergy relief, make sure that the company offers or uses non-toxic solutions that are greenseal.org certified. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM

carpet cleaning for allergies

Yes, getting your carpets cleaned is good. Good for the carpets and good for the general appearance of your home. However, anything that is going to inflame allergies is by it's definition particles that are airborne - that is particles that are not bonded to the carpet. This dry particulate can be vacuumed away. A good hepa vacuum with a powerful beater bar set at the appropriate height will be all you need to take care of allergens. After all, if particles can't be removed with a vacuum, how then are they able to float into the air and inflame your allergies? Carpet cleaning will remove deeply embedded dirt and oils, but those aren't airborne. I see your point about hepa filters but have a hard time believing that steam cleaning is a magic remedy for allergies. Furthermore you cannot use heat for wool rugs as it will damage the rug. How, then, are wool rugs supposed to be de-allergized, if it's the heat that is destroying the allergens?

Bremerton Window Cleaning & Janitorial
post #3 of Old 04-17-2011, 05:00 PM

Getting your carpet cleaned is the best thing to do but having a good vacuum with a hepa flitration is the first step .

Carpet Cleaning Denver
Carpet Cleaners Denver
Denver Carpet Cleaning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM

April,
If you spray Procyon on the wool carpet it will kill it. I used to have some fun in my garage and sit there with a spray bottle and what ever flew in I would shoot it with Procyon and it would fall to the ground.
post #5 of Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 AM

The best solution for people with allergies is not having a carpet at all. But still if you are a carpet lover with allergies and/or other respiratory problems then you should have a professional carpet cleaning more often. For example, steam cleaning is one of the best choices as the method doesn't contain any chemicals and kills all the bacteria and microbes by using the power of hot water and steam.

post #6 of Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Procyon

Quote:
If you spray Procyon on the wool carpet it will kill it. I used to have some fun in my garage and sit there with a spray bottle and what ever flew in I would shoot it with Procyon and it would fall to the ground.
What is Procyon? When I looked it up, I could only find a vague description. What is it generally used for?

I am always interested in new information, thanks for the info

Vashon Island Window Cleaning & Janitorial
post #7 of Old 04-18-2011, 05:00 PM

I used it to clean carpets for many years. There is a hospital in Lincoln, Nebraska that uses it to clean their walls in the operating rooms. If J4K reads this he could tell us which hopsital since he lives there.... Jeff... it used to be Lincoln General on A street. Now it just has like 4 initials. Is it bad that my youngest daughter was born there and I can't remember the name? lol Anyway, I'll try to find a link to Procyon. I have a guy that I buy it in powder form but I'll see if I can find a place where you can buy a gallon of liquid.

fyi on the professinal steam cleaning..... they make their money by upselling you. Which means... they spray all kinds of crap on your carpet and say it will get rid of the stains or urine smell or what ever the case may be... ever how they can con you out of money, that's what it will cure. Not saying all carpet guys are this way but that's what the industry is known for. That's why I searched until I found Procyon. It does what it says it will do and if you get thirsty... you can drink it. lol
post #8 of Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Here ya go. I didn't read the whole thing but I saw something about a free sample on there for ya. Give it a try.

http://www.soapfreeprocyon.com/
post #9 of Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM

hm... i think i'll give it a try

post #10 of Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM

we actually get calls specifically about allergens at least once a week. it's a pretty big deal and as mentioned hot water {steam} extraction is one useful way to treat it and remove the grime from your carpet.

carpet cleaning hillsboro oregon and the surrounding portland metro area
post #11 of Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Definitely. Carpets are a prone source of allergy especially to the vulnerable like the kids particularly when you have toddlers. Besides regular cleaning, it also needs professional care. Perhaps every 6 months or at least 1 year will be a good deed.
post #12 of Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 AM

Thank for the information.
I didn't knew that carpet could be the cause of dust in the house, and so i could tell my doctor i stay at home and i don't see dust anywhere around me untill he popped this question,'does your house have a carpet?' Then i was like, why?
He told me that is where dust that affect my ears and nose come from.
And from that time i clean it regularly. I didn't knew it could cause me that trouble.
post #13 of Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Carpet Cleaning by vacuum cleaner is easier for all time, or we can also contact some professional carpet cleaner, who cleans carpet without any disturbance of changing place of table, chairs or other furniture.
post #14 of Old 05-09-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobitab View Post
Carpet Cleaning by vacuum cleaner is easier for all time, or we can also contact some professional carpet cleaner, who cleans carpet without any disturbance of changing place of table, chairs or other furniture.
Yeah, the professional cleaners do the furniture moving themselves

post #15 of Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Here ya go. I didn't read the whole thing but I saw something about a free sample on there for ya. Give it a try.

http://www.soapfreeprocyon.com/
Does anyone know where if I can find that in the UK?

Office Cleaning London - Total Clean provide competitively priced office cleaning in London, also commercial cleaning and office cleaning services London, London city and W1.
post #16 of Old 05-19-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciano View Post
I didn't knew that carpet could be the cause of dust in the house, and so i could tell my doctor i stay at home and i don't see dust anywhere around me untill he popped this question,'does your house have a carpet?' Then i was like, why?
And from that time i clean it regularly. I didn't knew it could cause me that trouble.
think of your carpet as a big air filter. just like a K&N on your car, carpets have to be cleaned regularly. the life, appearance and health of the carpet in your home is extended with yearly cleaning.

carpet cleaning hillsboro oregon and the surrounding portland metro area
post #17 of Old 05-21-2011, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciano View Post
Well true. And especially the kids, when the dust is grossly accumulated on the carpets they get red bumps on the skin, itchy ones.
post #18 of Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Her is part of an article..

Carpets act as a filter that holds soil, dust mites, pollen, debris and other contaminants. Vacuuming helps pull up a good amount of that stuff, but not all.
A dirty carpet is the ideal place for bacteria and germs to multiply and grow. Sounds like a horror film, but think about it: Doctors tell us that dirt and dust are the primary causes of most allergies. Over time, the contaminants will build up and you can imagine what all that will do to your health as you daily breathe in those nasty microorganisms. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) also recognizes the effect of unhealthy indoor air and the link it has with carpet cleaning.
Routine maintenance of your carpet not only helps to keep indoor air clean, it also extends the life of the carpet. While waiting in between professional cleanings, be sure to change the filter in your vacuum often.

RJ Cleaning Service Inc
Serving Central Massachusetts
www.rjcleaningservice.com
post #19 of Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 AM
J4K

Sprint, that would be Bryan/LGH West, on South street! I agree Procyon is a very good product.
post #20 of Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Even at that, they usually do not totally eliminate all the symptoms but will make them tolerable.Capture dry carpet powder works pretty well.You sprinkle it down, rake it in with a long-handled scrub brush and vacuum it up after a while.You can buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode