Cleaned walls with vinegar, still smell the vinegar - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-02-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Cleaned walls with vinegar, still smell the vinegar

Hello,

I washed my walls with half vinegar/half water solution to try to get rid of a smell i've had since moving in the apartment. I think the paint they used was cheap because paint came dripped back into the water bucket when I rinsed the sponge.
The issue is that the vinegar smell still remains after 2 days. I have opened all windows and turned on fans, and then even had the AC running to try to help it. I still faintly smell it and when I first walk into the apartment I can smell it pretty strongly for a few seconds walking in.

Will this smell go away on it's own? How long does it usually take?

Thanks!

Last edited by ThePaper05; 07-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-11-2017, 02:41 AM

I will recommend to try these tricks to get rid of the odor:

1. You have to fill the bucket half full with warm water.
2. Add enough detergent to get a few bubbles when the water is agitate.
3. After that wet the cloth in the water and run gently on the stain.
4. Rinse the cloth and repeat as necessary, if stain remains, dry the area thoroughly with a towel before moving on to step six.
Also i would suggest don't use chemical especially, if you have not used one before.

Best,
Jose Ramos
post #3 of Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 AM

I think the vinegar smell will just go away in a few days. You are right - cheap paints do smell weird.
Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-11-2017, 08:57 AM

Well, you should always mix vinegar with baking soda when you use it for cleaning. In this way, vinegar won't smell. However, you have already cleaned with vinegar and you want the smell to go, then simply use baking soda at the same spot. You can also keep some baking soda in that area in the bowl. Just leave it as it is and after an hour or so, you can remove the baking soda bowl as the smell will go. It is very effective. You can try it and let me know what you think.
post #5 of Old 07-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Great tricks
post #6 of Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 AM

Well, Vinegar is a great all-purpose cleaner and can also be used to effectively clean walls. I also think the paint they used was cheap and don't worry vinegar smell will just go away with two or three days.
For future, I will recommend you always test your homemade cleaning solution on a small and inconspicuous area first.

MBA Supply Company
Cleaning Supplies and Equipment Repair Company
post #7 of Old 07-12-2017, 04:27 AM

I once had to clean a pretty stubborn stain left behind by the people who were living in the apartment I moved in. It took a lot of scrubbing and rubbing 'til it was finally gone, but then the vinegar smell was a pain in the ash. As long as you keep a relatively constant air-flow in the room and corridors, the smell will dissipate by itself.
post #8 of Old 07-12-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the tips! So, eventually the vinegar smell went away. I put out some lemons and it finally went away after about 5 days! But the thing is, now I am still getting that weird musty paint smell everytime I enter my apartment. And I think it's making me sick somehow with nasal and cough problems.
Could it be that the paint they used was really cheap or maybe moldy/old in some way? Has anyone experienced that? I am thinking of maybe painting over it with primer and a new coat of paint...
post #9 of Old 07-13-2017, 04:48 PM

You most likely have a mold issue. Be careful as it can cause many health issues. You might try putting a dehumidifier in the apartment and see if you can get it to go away. If you can't you might want to move apartments or get the management to fix it. I deal in air health and air cleaning and mold issues and see stuff like this all the time here in the rainy northwest.

EricAir Health Services Marysville
post #10 of Old 07-13-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhealth View Post
You most likely have a mold issue. Be careful as it can cause many health issues. You might try putting a dehumidifier in the apartment and see if you can get it to go away. If you can't you might want to move apartments or get the management to fix it. I deal in air health and air cleaning and mold issues and see stuff like this all the time here in the rainy northwest.

EricAir Health Services Marysville
I have been suspecting mold but really hoping that's not the case! I did have a leak under the sink for a couple days and mold appeared under the cabinet after it was fixed, which I cleaned out with mold removing chemicals.. This place is also very old and I am worried that behind the walls or under the wooden floors is mold. If that's the case i'm not sure what the Landlord would do if I complained. (It's not just the smell but I have had sinus issues)

I am hoping it might be the paint because if there is a mold issue I would want to move out, which sucks because I really like this apartment.
post #11 of Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Having had allergies my whole life, and also being an RN, I feel for you! I cant say if your snuffling is from mold or not- it could be something else entirely. I know that the smell of crummy paint is awful. You might consider re-painting it yourself. Wont cost too much but the labor IS a bit much.
Annie
post #12 of Old 07-18-2017, 01:05 AM

You can use baking soda to get rid of vinegar smell.

Tags
cleaning , vinegar , walls , washing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode