Cleaning Chemicals and Products - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-28-2006, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Cleaning Chemicals and Products

OK, I had an idea for a thread that went down the line of all the basic chemicals and products and their uses in cleaning and restoration. You guys throw around a lot of names and I know there are some of us that arenít as familiar as we need to be with these products.

If this thread goes the way I hope it does Iím going to make it a sticky so it can be used my members for years to come.

THANKS!

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-28-2006, 08:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
thats a great idea.....everyone can learn something from that
post #3 of Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Great idea and maybe with the sticky it could have the chemical reactivity chart. We all know that some still mix things together that aren't meant to marry or even date each other in the same bucket.

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-28-2006, 10:29 PM

yep ive done my share of counterproductive mixing
post #5 of Old 07-31-2006, 07:57 AM

Here is a great web site with a glossary of terms, and some good articles. I think you will find it informative. Check under the Ask The Chemist section

www.coastwidelabs.com

Last edited by mvwallyworld; 07-31-2006 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ott View Post
Great idea and maybe with the sticky it could have the chemical reactivity chart. We all know that some still mix things together that aren't meant to marry or even date each other in the same bucket.
You got a great point, Dave. But some of us still let them flirt from time to time.

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #7 of Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 PM

post #8 of Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 PM

Cleaning Products

I have been really looking into using organic cleaning products, we do mold cleaning products and the most important thing to look at is picking products that are safe, but also prevent to keep your cleaning costs down.

This may be a shameful plug, but take a look at our product list if I am allowed to post that here. I do not want do any shameful advertising but any feedback on what you guys are looking for may help us out also.

Organic Mold Cleaning
post #9 of Old 11-05-2006, 02:50 PM

Property perfections - if I might ask, how does one go about getting an MSDS sheet on these products? I am very leary of using any product that does not have one. And anyone in the cleaning industry should have an MSDS on file for any products that they use while cleaning.

Too, what "exactly" makes them organic? There is much controversy as to what true "organic" is. The word organic on U.S. products is suppost to mean that the ingredients and production method have been verified by an accredited certification agency as meeting or exceeding the Standard for Organic production, however you see many mis-uses of the word.
post #10 of Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 PM

Great Question

The process to recieve an MSDS sheet is a bit extensive, but primarily once you pass the tests you can receive an MSDS sheet, it is also simalar to EPA registration. We focused on being registered by the EPA as our primary goal and the rest fell into place. There is a fee involved that is different for each state and then paper work, paper work, paper work...

The epa.gov is a great resource to get started.

What makes the products organic is really what is inside and not containing to much acid and harsh chemicals that would be harful if on skin or inhaled.

The truth is Bleach is more harmful and less effective in cleaning mold than our Safe Shield and most products available. Since, being in a room with the bleach fumes, one would immediately feel the symptoms of inhaling hazardous chemicals. Bleach and Some Cleaning products are very toxic and organic is mainly a safe way to clean with out the safety equipment, at least the ones we develop and promote. The ingredients used is patented information so we cannot say, but to be organic is to stay far away any solution that is going to effect the skin and promote allergenic reactions. Some people also say there product is organic, but at times it is water downed so that is safe enough to use and not very effective in the long term.

It is a balancing act, but organic means it is safe to use indoors for most individuals, of course you still have your disclaimers.

Hope that helps

Also, you can check out our MSDS Sheet on our Black Mold Killer Page at the Bottom, there is a link which you can download and view the MSDS. It is below the product listings...

Hope this answers some questions.
post #11 of Old 11-05-2006, 03:59 PM

I went to your site and the product intrigues me, however, your MSDS sheet link is broken I'd really appreciate it if you could email it to me [email protected]

Thanks!

Celeste

Celeste Gothorp
Carolina ProWash LLC
Graham, NC
336-516-6356
[email protected]
post #12 of Old 11-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Thank you for the response.

The link takes me to a message telling me that I need a user name and password.

Did you not need an MSDS Sheet in order to have the EPA approve you?

I guess my biggest pet peeve is the variances in languages that are used within the industries and how confusing it can all get. In other words to me the following words used in referance to cleaning mean -

Organic - food related, meaning all natural as in no pesticides, growth harmones, or additives. shouldn't be used in terms of anything other than food

Green - as in
* Made of readily bio-degradable components
* Low or No toxicity to humans &/or Aquatic life
* No Carcinogens, sensitizers, teratogens or mutagens (agents that are capable of causing developmental abnormalities in utero or capable of changing genetic materials)
* No Endocrine disrupters
* No phosphates, chlorine bleach or harsh solvents
* Low VOC (volatile organic compounds)
* Made of renewable ingredients and in Concentrated Formulas to reduce wasted packaging and fuel

Natural - as in items that can commonly be found in a home that can also be used to clean with such as -

* Lemon juice
* Castile soap (such as Dr. Bonners)
* Steam (vapor)
* Baking soda
* Pumice stone
* Oils (Carrier oils such as Olive, Sesame, Sunflower, Peanut or Sweet Almond oils)
* Essential Oils (Natural pressed Citrus &/or Botanical oils)
* Clay
* Enzymes
* Salt
* Vinegar
* Water
* Bee's wax
* Borax (washing soda)
* Corn Starch
* Isopropyl Alcohol
* Cream of Tartar
* Hydrogen Peroxide

Considering those definations then I would ask - is your product considered to be "green"?
post #13 of Old 11-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Yes - We are Green and Natural

Are products are green as we are highly non toxic, and our solutions contain no bleach. chemical, harsh fumes or acids.

We also have natural products mixed by our chemist that makes our solution uniquely safe and able to change the growth and DNA makeup of mold. It is quite unbeliveable to say the least. Not many other products can kill and prevent naturally.

Also, you most likely will neet to be acquire the MSDS sheet and then become EPA registered.
post #14 of Old 11-05-2006, 04:28 PM

THe MSDS Sheet

The link may have been wrong..

You can go to our website website and download the MSDS sheet again... It should be up, we had members only activated.

Now it is open to public.
post #15 of Old 11-05-2006, 06:51 PM

post #16 of Old 11-06-2006, 02:03 PM

In my 40 yrs in the cleaning supply business, I have learned that anyone who lists their formula-and or-ingredients as propriatry is hiding something. Most companys have adobted theAmerican National Standards Institute (ANSI) material safety data sheet format.
post #17 of Old 11-06-2006, 02:39 PM

Not trying to stir anything up here, but if this stuff is so safe for use, why is the first aid section still full of what to do if it gets on or in you? Is that just on all MSDS?

Celeste

Celeste Gothorp
Carolina ProWash LLC
Graham, NC
336-516-6356
[email protected]
post #18 of Old 11-06-2006, 03:00 PM

ALL MSDS sheets should include first aid information.

However here is an example an MSDS for a disinfectant that does not have safety issues - See how they spell out that protective gear is not necessary

http://www.benefect.com/usa/docs/MSD...fectant-us.pdf

I hope that answers your question Celeste
post #19 of Old 02-02-2010, 03:46 AM

There are many cleaning chemicals service providers in the market. One I have had better domino effect with is Drew Ameroid's SAF-ACID. Forces circulate with a pump and use a tiny heat for best result.

Best Regards,
post #20 of Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 PM

I posted something on here about my search for less-toxic, less gooey furniture cleaner that ended up with a couple of expensive washing type products.

My chemical vendor recently suggested I dilute a few tablespoons of my neutral floor cleaner in a spray-bottle of water for for every day cleaning on synthetic and finished wood surfaces.

Works great, gets rid of buildup and leaves a nice shine.

The stuff I use is Husky No-Rinse Damp Mop solution.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode